A story about 4 IC's and system interaction

Afterimage

Re: A story about 4 IC's and system interaction
« Reply #60 on: 3 Apr 2017, 07:29 pm »
where do we buy these cables?  is there a dealer network in the US or can we just call the company direct?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #61 on: 3 Apr 2017, 07:34 pm »
Right now contact Teo through Audiogon seems the fastest route. Do a seach on teo there.

Afterimage

« Reply #62 on: 3 Apr 2017, 09:17 pm »
but they are not offering the Splash version on Agon. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #64 on: 3 Apr 2017, 10:24 pm »
but they are not offering the Splash version on Agon.

Best thing is probably send them a pm either here or on Audiogon. I'm interested in the Splash too and am awaiting a reply back. I told myself to be content with the GC but they got me wondering...damn it.

Afterimage

« Reply #65 on: 4 Apr 2017, 01:48 am »
thanks guys.  I sent them an email this morning but never heard anything back.  What version of the Splash are you thinking about Tomy2tone?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #66 on: 4 Apr 2017, 02:15 am »
Not sure really. Doug Schroeder said in his Dagogo review that the Splash, Splash copper, and Splash Silver were all very close in sonic character but that he did lean toward the Silver.  I'm curious to hear Ken's take the difference between the three.

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #67 on: 7 Apr 2017, 02:38 pm »
The cables will all have a 'family resemblance', as the technology underlying them is of the same nature. The biggest leap, is the change from solid wire, to liquid conductor.

The phenomena we have noticed is that no matter which 'liquid metal' cable is tried out (trial, test, comparison, etc), that it is generally deemed to be in favorable position against 'wire'.

glory

« Reply #68 on: 4 May 2017, 12:08 pm »
All goes dead in almost 30 days ??

Had the STD M2 years back and also the $20K Ref for a few weeks.

K&T are great guys to deal with and I got to meet T in Atlanta in a Home of a friend showing off his new speakers. Nice friendly chap that loves music  and easy to talk to.

All reports on this Teo cable is as I heard them. It's like installing a great 300B tube into your system. Real life like sounds that cause you to know you made a great buy by owning them

dolsey01

« Reply #69 on: 4 May 2017, 02:19 pm »
All goes dead in almost 30 days ??

Had the STD M2 years back and also the $20K Ref for a few weeks.

K&T are great guys to deal with and I got to meet T in Atlanta in a Home of a friend showing off his new speakers. Nice friendly chap that loves music  and easy to talk to.

All reports on this Teo cable is as I heard them. It's like installing a great 300B tube into your system. Real life like sounds that cause you to know you made a great buy by owning them

This thread is quiet but there is one on Audiogon that is very active.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #70 on: 17 May 2017, 03:27 pm »
This thread is quiet but there is one on Audiogon that is very active.

I started that one but do not stay connected to the forums there. I am going to purchase some Splash IC's soon.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #71 on: 7 Sep 2017, 09:25 pm »
While I suffered some financial setbacks lately with the basement flood, etc. I was not able to purchase Splash IC's. I did pick up 1.5 sets of used High Fidelity Cables Adapters and they play very nicely with the Game Changer IC's I still have. Actually they have me thinking about magnets and how the Teo designs have been reported by others on Audiogon to have some degree of synergy. I experienced the same thing and kinda went "wow". So now I am scheming to play with more HFC technology when I can afford to do so.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #72 on: 7 Sep 2017, 11:45 pm »
Hey Pete, before trying anything else I highly recommend the mc-0.5 plug in devices. I have several and they are flat out amazing. I don't understand it completely but they sure as hell work. They do wonders for tv/video as well. The Cable Company has some in their specials section that are used/blemished for decent prices.

Steve

• Industry Participant
  • Retired from designg as of now, caring for Mom.
    • SAS Audio Labs (Retired)
« Reply #73 on: 12 Sep 2017, 03:51 am »

Fully agree, materials do make a sonic difference, the Teo's will almost certainly "sound" different.

General public. I built two ICs, each 1 meter long. One uses 22 gauge stranded wire with Vampire all copper phono plugs, and the other is 22 gauge solid wire with Cardas Rhodium plugs. Both were terminated with Cardas Quad solder. The stranded ICs have 39pf/meter, and the solid ICs have 29pf/meter, so the solids should sound brighter. Upon testing, everyone perceived the solid ICs as fuller sounding, just the opposite of everyone's preconceived notions since the capacitance is less with the solid wire ICs. Also, I would hardly choose a dht tube to produce the most "real life like sounds".

Cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2017, 02:12 pm by Steve »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #74 on: 12 Sep 2017, 04:04 pm »
.....................................................................................
General public. I built two ICs, each 1 meter long. One uses 22 gauge stranded wire with Vampire all copper phono plugs, and the other is 22 gauge solid wire with Cardas Rhodium plugs. Both were terminated with Cardas Quad solder. The stranded ICs have 39pf/meter, and the solid ICs have 29pf/meter, so the solids should sound brighter. Upon testing, everyone perceived the solid ICs as fuller sounding, just the opposite of everyone's preconceived notions since the capacitance is less with the solid wire ICs. Also, I would hardly choose a dht tube to produce the most "real life like sounds".
Cheers
Steve
Why would a total difference of 10pf make a cable sound brighter?
It takes way more capacitance to make the interconnect output stage unhappy.
Then it can ring or even oscillate. Also some outputs don't have enough current to drive a capacitive load.
Maybe you need better hi-fi components.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #75 on: 12 Sep 2017, 05:16 pm »
You could test if the difference in capacitance was the cause.
Make a 1 meter solid conductor cable at 29pf.
And a 1.5 meter solid conductor cable at 44pf. 

Steve

• Industry Participant
  • Retired from designg as of now, caring for Mom.
    • SAS Audio Labs (Retired)
« Reply #76 on: 12 Sep 2017, 07:01 pm »
Why would a total difference of 10pf make a cable sound brighter?

Less capacitance means less load on the output of, say a preamplifier, as the frequency increases. Most "scientists" would claim if anything, the sound should be brighter. Of course that is not necessarily the case, as you infer.

It takes way more capacitance to make the interconnect output stage unhappy.

But any less capacitance would tend to increase the highs, not diminish the highs. The fact that the opposite occurs would indicate that other forces are at play.

Then it can ring or even oscillate. Also some outputs don't have enough current to drive a capacitive load.
Maybe you need better hi-fi components.

With a typical preamplifier with no negative voltage feedback (output back to previous stage), no OPT, just RC, oscillation will not occur.
As far as enough current to drive a capacitive load, lack of drive current will increase distortion, which could also cause a brighter sound as it affects the rise time.

Rollo, actually in my experiment, and other experiments previously performed, the cause is the materials used in the IC since the inductance is extremely low and close, impedances are extremely high vs IC inductance, capacitance etc.

Cheers
Steve

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #77 on: 13 Sep 2017, 12:38 pm »
With an analog interconnect system, it takes lots & lots of capacitance to roll off the high frequencies (that's mFd not pFd).
The output stage will be unhappy with such a large capacitive load.
Nope, 10 or 20 pFd doesn't change anything.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #78 on: 13 Sep 2017, 02:53 pm »
Guys, I'll be pretty tee'd off if you get this benign thread closed because of your wandering off the ranch and pushing the limits of the rules here. Stand down.

richidoo

« Reply #79 on: 15 Sep 2017, 11:49 pm »
The technical discussion betwixt sonicboom, Steve, Speedskater et al was split from this topic and moved to "The Lab" by request of this circle's facilitator.

Link: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152696.0