Setting up my classic

Topshelf

• A Well Tempered fan and lover of Tron electronics
Setting up my classic
« on: 21 Feb 2017, 09:57 am »
Hi everyone,
Greetings from downunder i am about tochange the cart on my WT classic from a Stanton 881s to a Nagoaka MP500. Yes i know i should probably have gone with a dynavector but i really want to try this cart and I'm not changing tables.
Anyway i bought this table a couple of years ago and from what i have read/ learnt and seen the table doesn't seem to be set up right. So new 100,000cst arrives tomorrow and i will print off all the relevant templates and protractors. I'm taking next monday off so i can have the house to myself and take my time to do this task.
   Until then i have really been enjoying all the posts on here and there is plenty more to absorb. The 19deg offset angle for the cartridge has been a revelation to me as i think it was set up with an ortofon alignment tool....
   I am hoping i won't need help but i would welcome any advice you may have. I have definitely heard the potential of this TT and i am looking forward to a day of tinkering and reporting as we go.
Atb Ian.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Setting up my classic
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2017, 10:56 am »
Welcome Ian :thumb:

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2017, 11:58 am »
Good luck the the setup. Sounds like it's going to be a fun day.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2017, 01:33 pm »
Welcome to AC!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2017, 04:34 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Ian   :thumb:

Topshelf

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2017, 04:28 am »
Hi all and thanks for the welcome. I feel I am going to need some help to get this tonearm to behave. I have all the tools I need and the new damping fluid has arrived 100,000cst. The main issue I have is too much bias, the arm sometimes will pull towards the inner of the record and the cart will jump out of a groove and into the next. I would love a picture or pointer as to the orientation and relation of the fishing line and disk in the trough. To overcome this in the past I have had to add another 0.5g of force to the vtf this still causes the cantilever on the cart to be offset from the centre.
      Hi have tried tightening and loosening the wheel which opens and closes the gap in the bars where the fixing nut and azimuth screw are located. I'm wondering if the fishing line is back to front?
      From the cartridge end of the arm my fixing line is attached to the fixed nut, it then goes to the Right and under the puck and  then returns up to the azimuth screw which sits behind the fixed screw. Is this correct?
    Thanks everyone for your input.

Moderators is this thread in the Well Tempered section? I'd appreciate it if it was.

Thanks in advance all. Ian.

Topshelf

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2017, 04:40 am »
Hi guys here is the fishing line orientation

Topshelf

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2017, 04:45 am »
Sorry about that image lets try that again.

Topshelf

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2017, 04:51 am »
Mmmm i seem to be having issues. Sorry, mind your necks and backs if you are viewing those all.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2017, 06:33 am »
    Thanks everyone for your input.

Moderators is this thread in the Well Tempered section? I'd appreciate it if it was.

Thanks in advance all. Ian.

In all likelihood you should probably start a new thread here   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=32.0  in The Vinyl Circle.  It will get better viewing & response as this is primarily the "Introduction" thread.

As to picture orientation here is some info from srb in another thread - 
1.  Gallery > Manage my albums
2.  Click on Album
3.  Click on Photo
4.  Use Rotate Left & Rotate Right buttons at bottom right

Sorry, can't answer your specific question, but most likely someone will be able to. 

Topshelf

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2017, 08:24 am »
Thank you for your help. I think I should get off my phone and onto the main computer where I can view everything.
Cheers Ian.

Topshelf

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2017, 12:31 pm »
Thank you moderators it looks like I am now even more in the right place. I have just viewed a video that showed 2 twists being applied to a later decks fishing line whilst a stock photo clearly shows just one twist.
         What they both convey clearly is which direction I should twist. Reassuringly annoying is the fact that mine was set up in the opposite direction and is possibly and hopefully the probable cause for my arms wish to pull toward the inner spindle.
      I feel a tinkering coming:-)