Modest Priced CDP Recommendations Please

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Modest Priced CDP Recommendations Please
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jun 2017, 02:11 pm »
Buy my Sony XA20ES for $100 plus shipping (shameless plug).

It's about 15 years old, but has been rarely used in the past 10 years.  Well built, uses a metal puck to hold the CD in place, has optical and single ended outputs.  Uniquely the laser is attached to the thick drawer. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #21 on: 3 Jun 2017, 02:25 pm »
TASCAM CD200 . Amazon or B+H has them for around $200 shipped .
I looked around for a good reliable CDP after my Marantz transport malfunctioned  a minute after the warranty expired and the TASCAM has a dynamite transport and is really well built .
That was quite a few years ago now and it still works great . It has rack ears for DJ use but they come off if desired in 2 minutes with a screwdriver

Yes Sir. IMHO Tascam sonic trait is one to have in this price category. Excellent laser assembly which lasts. Second choice Yamaha.

charles

witchdoctor

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jun 2017, 04:13 pm »
This is sony's new universal player which does CD's, SACD's, DVD-A, BRD and more. Originally $350 I got mine for $300. Sony just released its new 4K BRD and the price on this one came way down to $149. It sounds exquisite with CD's either using the internal dac or as a transport. You have the option of setting ot to upconvert to hirez too:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UHP-H1-Upscaling-Bluetooth-Refurbished/dp/B06Y5VMT9D/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496506204&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+uhph1

review-

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/sony-uhp-h1-review/24374

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jun 2017, 10:06 pm »
This is sony's new universal player which does CD's, SACD's, DVD-A, BRD and more. Originally $350 I got mine for $300. Sony just released its new 4K BRD and the price on this one came way down to $149. It sounds exquisite with CD's either using the internal dac or as a transport. You have the option of setting ot to upconvert to hirez too:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UHP-H1-Upscaling-Bluetooth-Refurbished/dp/B06Y5VMT9D/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496506204&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+uhph1

review-

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/sony-uhp-h1-review/24374
Hmm that has me intrigued. I'm about to buy a new TV to replace an old 35" CRT (finally...I'm not in to HT like I am 2 channel stereo). I've been planning to get a smart TV but I'll also need a Blu-ray player. If I were to get that UHP-H1, I could get a "dumb" TV and save a few bucks....but what concerns me is that the UHP-H1 splits the audio & video output into 2 separate HDMIs. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of HDMI? I'm guessing they assume you're going to use it with an HDMI receiver? I'm pretty aure none of the TVs iny price range have separate inputs for audio & video. But do A/V receivers even have separate HDMI inputs for audio & video? Man, this could get expensive  :|

Sorry for the threadjack

witchdoctor

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jun 2017, 11:59 pm »
Hmm that has me intrigued. I'm about to buy a new TV to replace an old 35" CRT (finally...I'm not in to HT like I am 2 channel stereo). I've been planning to get a smart TV but I'll also need a Blu-ray player. If I were to get that UHP-H1, I could get a "dumb" TV and save a few bucks....but what concerns me is that the UHP-H1 splits the audio & video output into 2 separate HDMIs. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of HDMI? I'm guessing they assume you're going to use it with an HDMI receiver? I'm pretty aure none of the TVs iny price range have separate inputs for audio & video. But do A/V receivers even have separate HDMI inputs for audio & video? Man, this could get expensive  :|

Sorry for the threadjack

You can set it for audio and video coming out of both HDMI ports or splitting the signal between each port.

gychang

« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2017, 10:52 pm »
Here is real C&C!, picked this up at local goodwill for $10, plays CDs even has a shuffle function key, I use it strictly with CDs, even has an optical out.  However it does not play CDR (CD copy from PC).  Sound to me is just grand!.  Model #DVPS530D.

I am now hunting for a Sony receiver that compliments the look of the player.

ohenry

« Reply #26 on: 12 Sep 2017, 11:11 pm »
I'll second (or third) the Onkyo C-7030.  I picked up an open box from Amazon for $108 and it was still factory sealed.  It does sound very right and does nothing glaringly wrong.  Evidently, CDPs have come a long way during the past 10 years. :D

tipatina

« Reply #27 on: 13 Sep 2017, 02:13 am »
Look for a used Cambridge Azur series, for 10 years I had an 840 that I sold to get a Marantz Reference 14S1 to get sacd capability.  Should be able to get a 640 in your price range.

tipatina