Incredarray First Impression

tkp

« on: 20 Nov 2004, 02:29 pm »
Finally, I had a chance to make the speaker cable for the Incredarray and listenned to them for about three hours last night.  Keep in mind that they are brand new so the total breakin time prior to this listenning session is zero hours.

-  The integration between the tweeter, woofer, and sub is very smooth.  I could not detect the transistion point of the crossover.

-  They loaded the room very different than any other speaker that I owned before.  Even thought they were placed in a not optimal placement with the back of one speaker face out to the openning of another room and the back of the other speaker is about 6" from the front wall, the sound stage was very even across the front.

-  The  sound stage does not change much from the center listenning position.

-  There is more of a drop in sound quality when standing up.  This is undertandable because the line array is only 66" tall.  The same thing happened to the RM40 but to a worse degree.  My wife would not allow me to have any thing tall than 66", other wise I would go for some thing a bit taller.

-  They beat the RM40 by a good margin in the mid bass and high area.  The midrange is as good and there is no contest in the low bass because the Incredarray has builtin dual 12" woofers power by a 1000 W Keiga subwoofer amp.

Over all, I am glad that I got them and they are the first speakers I owned that address the high, midrange, mid bass, and low bass properly.

A big thank to Rick for being patience with my questions during the building process of the Incredarray and found the skillfull cabinet maker to make this happenned.  It took a bit of time but well worth it in the end.

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2004, 04:18 pm »
How does the soundstage compare to the RM40s?  Air around instruments etc...?

tkp

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2004, 06:00 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
How does the soundstage compare to the RM40s?  Air around instruments etc...?

The sound stage is quite a bit wider than the RM40.  One of the reason for this is that I do not have to toe them in for optimal sound in sweet spot.  I can get the RM40 to have the same sound stage but the quality of the sound in the sweet spot would suffer significantly.  I have not listenned long enough to say for sure how much airier the instrument is but my first impression is that there is a third dimension to the sound which is hard for me to describe.  It is almost like holographic sound with voice and instrument.

Keep in mind, my setup is not optimal at all for a speaker like the RM40 because I have a large entertainment center between the speakers so stereo image suffer significantly for speakers which requires toeing in.  The one suprise for me was that the vocal is as good as the RM40 with no breaking in at all.  I cannot wait to see how they sound in a few months.

One thing I have learned over the year is that first impression might not guarantee long term satisfaction so I will not draw any conclusion yet at this point.  However, the Incredarray has addressed a few weak points of the RM40 which I was hoping that it would so I am satisfy with the result so far.

My buddy has the RMX so I would love to see how the Incredarray measure against the RMX.  Unfortunately, both speakers are so darn heavy so the best I can do is listen to them in different setup with different electronics and try to draw some conclusion.