The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers

richidoo

Re: The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers
« Reply #260 on: 4 Feb 2018, 05:19 pm »
Rich, what combination of servo amps do you use for the 6 driver subs?  Is it three 16 ohm drivers in parallel per amp, with 2 amps per side? Thanks

HAL

« Reply #261 on: 4 Feb 2018, 07:56 pm »
Rich,
The HX800 amps have two 400 watt Class-D amp modules per side, so 3 and 3 for one 6x12.

The subs are the SW-12-16FR's, 16 ohm OB drivers with 3 in parallel per amp module.

Total of two HX800's for the system with the two 6x12's.

Love the 1600 watts of bass power for these!

richidoo

« Reply #262 on: 5 Feb 2018, 03:07 pm »
Thanks Rich

HAL

« Reply #263 on: 9 Feb 2018, 09:58 pm »
Had a day to make some measurements on The Megaliths and do some response tweaking.

The is the Audiomatica Pocket CLIO frequency response of the left speaker at my listening location 8' from the array.  Still have some room interaction to work on, but very nice without any room correction system running at all.  The measurement has 1/3 Octave smoothing, 100mSec time window and 48KHz scale for reference. 

HAL

« Reply #264 on: 10 Feb 2018, 01:28 pm »
First listening session with friends last night.  Progress has been made with the new implementation of the crossover.

Now to try the RoomEQ function with the new measurement suite.

One person said they miss the pizza box amp look!  :)

HAL

« Reply #265 on: 6 Mar 2018, 03:30 am »
Have the MathAudio RoomEQ parameters for the dspMusikLCD 2x16 to run room correction in the DSP with their technique for The Megaliths. 

The signal processing to implement RoomEQ in the DSP is to offload the PC to just play music files. 

The dspMusikLCD 2x16 will make the 24bit/192KHz HiRez room measurements with a calibrated measurement mic through the digital crossover needed to create the room correction with the VST plug-in version of RoomEQ.  The correction data is then loaded into the dspMusikLCD for playback. 

This will then work for any input, analog or digital for the dspMusikLCD for playing music.

HAL

« Reply #266 on: 9 Mar 2018, 10:42 pm »
The Megaliths dspMusik crossover is now updated with the MathAudio RoomEQ signal processing and running both the digital crossover and room correction in realtime.

Will be bringing up the rest of the system for listening trials soon.   

HAL

« Reply #267 on: 16 Apr 2018, 03:36 am »
After making new 24bit/192KHz room measurements with MathAudio RoomEQ, the MS-3 and dspMusikLCD 2x16, have The Megaliths sounding great with all the music playback tonight. Classical, Jazz, Pop and Rock all sound wonderful and very open like music in a space.

First test was the original CD version of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Sounds better than I remember it, and now need to get the DSD version online for a comparison.

Almost time for friends to come over for another listening session to gauge progress.

HAL

« Reply #268 on: 20 Apr 2018, 08:32 pm »
Worked with MathAudio and have the signal processing for RoomEQ running on the dspMusikLCD 2x16 for The Megaliths.

Friends are on the way over with their music for a listening session!  Looking forward to the comments on this stage of the speakers.

Might be some bratwurst and beer involved!  :thumb:

THROWBACK

« Reply #269 on: 20 Apr 2018, 10:06 pm »
Dang, Rich. Wish I could be there to partake of them all. Have a great session!

ebag4

« Reply #270 on: 21 Apr 2018, 02:06 am »
Dang, Rich. Wish I could be there to partake of them all. Have a great session!
X2!!

Best,
Ed

HAL

« Reply #271 on: 21 Apr 2018, 05:10 am »
THROWBACK and ebag4,

If you get out this direction, let me know.  Listening room is up and running.

It was a fine time indeed with bratwurst and beer.  Listening session was fun as well and good to get feedback from three other folks who are great at expressing what they are hearing.

Progress has been made, but more to do.  Good thing is there was a lot of agreement on where changes are needed. 

HAL

« Reply #272 on: 7 May 2018, 09:06 pm »
Just finished rewiring the two 6x12" servo subs in preparation for moving them in the room.  Will be easier to disassemble the stacks for moving and testing the new spots before setting up all the modules in the new locations.   

Good part is the new 14awg wiring is shorter than the original.

Good checks to do before the CAF2018 show coming in November.

KLH007

« Reply #273 on: 7 May 2018, 09:42 pm »
Rich, Did you get the large room Carver was in for 2017 CAF?

HAL

« Reply #274 on: 7 May 2018, 09:44 pm »
KLH007,
Yes, that is the room that HAL and Danville Signal have for CAF2018. 

HAL

« Reply #275 on: 24 Jul 2018, 01:35 am »
After doing some room and sub modeling, decided on a new location for the servo sub towers in my listening room. 

Avoosl came over for the sub tower movement and driver rewire to test them with all the sub drivers facing forward.   Updated the time delay between the subs and lines to work with the new sub positioning.  Audibly much improved over the original response in the low end from the original positions.

Will be making new room response measurements to see what needs adjustment. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #276 on: 24 Jul 2018, 02:29 am »
Sweet.  :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #277 on: 24 Jul 2018, 01:55 pm »
  Cannot wait to hear these. Knowing Ha's work this speaker will sound better than any similar design. Wow !!!

charles

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #278 on: 29 Oct 2018, 05:10 am »
First modular 1x12 finished in Hot Rod black and I like it!!!  :D

Next week will start the other 5 modules for finishing to do one 6x12 at a time. 

Can I has a couple?

HAL

« Reply #279 on: 29 Oct 2018, 12:52 pm »
You can buy the servo sub cabinet modules and amp cabinets as flat packs, glue them up and paint them. 

Then you can buy the GR Research open baffle servo sub drivers and Rythmik Audio servo amps to install for use.