Incredarray Review

Bingenito

Incredarray Review
« on: 6 Jul 2004, 12:30 am »
:!: I am in no way affiliated with Selah Audio. The review below is my honest opinion based on several hours of listening to the Incredarray and various other speakers

About the Incredarray:

The Incredarray consists of 2 Peerless XLS 12” subwoofers 10 Seas Excel W15 mid-bass drivers and 8 Fountek JP-2 ribbons per cabinet.  The mid-bass and ribbons are passive and the subs are crossed over and bi-amped. The line array amp is a Sim Audio Titan and a Crown K1 powers the subwoofers. A DBX DriveRack handles digital crossover and parametric EQ for the subs.

Associated equipment:

Digital Source: Esoteric DV 50
Preamp: Krell HTS 7.1
DSP/EQ: DBX DriveRack PA
Subwoofer amp: Crown K1
Power Amp: Sim Audio Titan 5 channel
Power Conditioner: BPT CPC
All cables: Custom Silver Teflon wire including inside the speakers

How do they sound?

For those of you that have a short attention span or just don’t want to read a novel I will get to the point- They sound hands down better then anything else I have ever heard. These are the last front speakers I will ever buy. They do it all and then some. I finally can hear what my electronics are capable of.

Unbelievable detail, dynamics, imaging, vocals, realism, and effortless power across the entire frequency range. They load the room so well that people have asked if my rear speakers were on when playing 2-channel music. My room is 25 ft long and the front and rear speakers are a good 20 ft apart. Images just seem to float around the room but are never exaggerated.

When watching movies it can get downright scary. If dynamic range is your thing then look no further. You can go from subtle conversation in a movie to gut busting SPL in seconds. The line arrays never sound compressed like conventional speakers.

Common Questions about Line array integration:
* Center Channel need not apply- would only muddy things up IMO
* I have conventional rears, which match up nicely but am thinking about some line arrays there as well- Why not??
* Vertical dispersion is not an issue. I can stand up and walk around my 25x14 sweet spot all day.

How do they compare to other speakers? Well if the question was “how do other speakers compare to the Incredarrays” the answer is simple “They don’t”.  I have heard, owned and built many high-end speakers. The Incredarray does it all for less then ½ of what you would pay for lesser performance from any other company.

I took myself out of the upgrade game for good. If anyone is serious about doing the same you need to at least consider these speakers.

If you have questions about these speakers I can be reached via email or PM

Pics are at http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?set_albumName=albup33&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Enrico

Incredarray Review
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2004, 02:40 am »
Bingenito, thanks for letting us know about your great experience with these speakers!

Bingenito

Review
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2004, 03:20 am »
Glad I could answer your questions. If you are going to be in Charlotte, NC let me know

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Incredarray Review
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2004, 04:24 am »
Haven't heard the incredarray myself, but I have heard the older model excelarray, and it was most impressive.  I'm sure the incredarray is right up there with the best speakers available.  Just curious, but what other speakers have you owned?

Bingenito

Incredarrays
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2004, 12:17 pm »
I have heard several hi end commercial speakers but because of the outrageous prices never bought into paying a company a few hundred % mark up.

All the speakers I have owned or built in recent years have been custom designed.

Focal Jm Labs floor standers. Focal W cone drivers with ATD ribbons. Same ribbons used in the ProAc futures line. Very smooth detail sound. 2 Lambda SB 15 Faraday drivers in a 10 cu ft cabinet supported bass.

Had a smaller Focal system for rears that also sounded very good but not as smooth or transparent as the larger system.

PHL drivers w/ Aurum Cantus ribbons and Lambda subs. Very efficient and dynamic sounding. If I was only into HT or had to have tubes I would use PHL all day.

I do frequent local audio stores to check out commercial designs such as B&W Nautilus 801’s, Martin Logans, Vienna Acoustics Mahlers, and Sonus Faber. Not my top picks but that is what is carried locally in Charlotte, NC. On each visit continue to leave unimpressed.

I personally do not care for electrostatic speakers because everyone I have heard lacks a realistic mid-bass punch and dynamics. They also seem to be picky about placement and produce a small sweet spot.

I would take my former Focal ATD system (w/ sub) over any of these speakers. From what I have heard the Incredarray’s take sound reproduction to the next level. My room is less then optimal but I have yet to hear any speaker sound this good. Next step is to get a dedicated room and some matching rears.

Andrikos

Incredarray Review
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2004, 04:03 pm »
Bingenito,
Great looking speakers, enjoy!
Now that you have BIG speakers, you're going to need a projector and a BIG screen. No puny little TV for you! :D

drcruz

Re: Incredarrays
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2004, 04:54 pm »
So what are the specs???

Thanks for the review. :)

Bingenito

Specs
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2004, 08:58 pm »
I will defer to Selah for specs

I know the sensitivy is 95db.

These speakers are by no means limited in output, or freq extension so I did not even think to ask that question.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Incredarrays
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2004, 09:56 pm »
Quote from: drcruz
So what are the specs???

Thanks for the review. :)

I have the specs available and will soon add them to my site. Until then feel free to e-mail me for the information.

gme109

Incredarray Review
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2004, 04:06 pm »
Quote from: Tyson
Haven't heard the incredarray myself, but I have heard the older model excelarray, and it was most impressive.  I'm sure the incredarray is right up there with the best speakers available.  Just curious, but what other speakers have you owned?

Hi Tyson,

You should hear the Excelarray's now that I've replaced three bad drivers. The right speaker had two bad drivers and the left had one. That's 25% of the drivers that were not up to par when you first heard the Excelarray's. I think you might have come over one other time after I had replaced one of the bad drivers. Now that everything is up to spec, they sound like nothing I've ever heard before.

Of course Rick covered the cost of all three of the bad drivers.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Incredarray Review
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2004, 05:00 pm »
I'd love to hear it now   Drop me an email or a PM  :thumb:   I'd invite you over to my place, but not much has changed in my setup since the last time you heard my system....