Daredevil

ajzepp

Re: Daredevil
« Reply #20 on: 20 Apr 2015, 09:22 am »
No doubt! :o

I think I just saw my favorite moment of the season so far...

Fisk is at dinner with Vanessa, trying desperately to walk that fine line between honesty and scaring the bejeezus out of her permanently...she asks him about his purpose and he talks about wanting to rebuild the city...then he looks directly at her, and daringly says, "I've hurt a lot of people...and I'm going to  hurt a lot more." 

:icon_surprised:  WOW, what a poweful line! I'm loving this scene in general because it's showing the depth of Fisk's character...I'm fascinated.

mcgsxr

« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2015, 07:05 pm »
Due to the nature of this thread, I sought this series out and am catching up on Season 1.

I have to agree that there is weakness and strength in the show.  The quality of the dialogue is a little suspect.

Notable is D'onofrio of whom I am very fond.  I love his oddity from Law and Order through Men in Black!

The flashbacks are a fun part of the show.  I have visited NYC, but don't know it well, but do feel it is a good background for the content of the show.

Is it awesome?  No.  Do I like it, and will I watch it all?  Sure, it reminds me of other shows I have enjoyed.

mcgsxr

« Reply #22 on: 22 Apr 2015, 03:23 pm »
One more thing.  I love impressions, and spend a fair amount of time paying close attention to affects etc.

I see a TON of Michael Ironside in the way D'onofrio is playing Fisk - his delivery of lines.

Good show, enjoying it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 22 Apr 2015, 04:29 pm »
Just saw that Netflix has ponied up for Saeson 2. Not surprisingly.

ajzepp

« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2015, 10:00 am »
So basically I've been enjoying this series, but not enough to really binge on it. I've been watching an episode every other day. Well that all changed tonight. Episode 8 was head and shoulders above the others so far, in my opinion. Like many, I've always believed that the villains make the movie...or in this case, the show. Having Fisk at the center of it and essentially seeing his origin story was really intense. I was riveted from start to finish. Really solid effort

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2015, 07:38 pm »
I'm taking it slow, just an episode every day or two, but I'm loving the show.  I'm going slow because 1) there are only 13 episodes and 2) this semester of school as two weeks left and I'm kind of busy with big projects.

mcgsxr

« Reply #26 on: 24 Apr 2015, 06:55 pm »
Can anyone ID the speakers in Wilson Fisk's apartment?  They appear to be some high end B&W model?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #27 on: 24 Apr 2015, 07:16 pm »
Pretty sure they are the 802 Diamond.  Love that the speakers visually double his baldness :)

ajzepp

« Reply #28 on: 24 Apr 2015, 11:42 pm »
Love that he's got the dual subs, but he should have gone with a third main in the middle as opposed to a center speaker...or just the two mains.

wushuliu

« Reply #29 on: 25 Apr 2015, 03:02 am »
So basically I've been enjoying this series, but not enough to really binge on it. I've been watching an episode every other day. Well that all changed tonight. Episode 8 was head and shoulders above the others so far, in my opinion. Like many, I've always believed that the villains make the movie...or in this case, the show. Having Fisk at the center of it and essentially seeing his origin story was really intense. I was riveted from start to finish. Really solid effort

Except it's not really an origin story. The most fully fleshed out part of Fisk's life is his childhood (which I do find partially hilarious due to the terrible acting in flashbacks). It's still not clear to me:

1) If his father was a known, if lesser, figure in the neighbor hood then how did Fisk manage to have this anonymous life as a mega successful businessman in same said neighborhood. It's one thing if it was an unspoken secret but it's like he comes out of nowhere and everyone's like oh who's that!

2) What exactly is his skill set? He basically gets outplayed by EVERYONE in the show. I could understand if they were going for Tony Montoya type of villain who lives by their code but is undermined by those who break that code - THAT would have been a good way to play it, but as of this season Fisk is kind of not the sharpest knife in the drawer if you think about it.

I'm a big believer that if you set up the universe of your film in a certain way then you need to follow through with it. With Daredevil they opted to go the Dark Knight 'gritty realism' route but chose to use shortcuts that basically say 'look bro you know how this works just roll with it'. I mean, I shouldn't be laughing at the supposedly heartbreaking flashbacks. I shouldn't be finishing the lines before the actors because I've heard them soooo many times before.

The white wall/painting bit was a nice touch though. Wish more of the show was that creative.

ajzepp

« Reply #30 on: 25 Apr 2015, 04:56 am »
Except it's not really an origin story. The most fully fleshed out part of Fisk's life is his childhood (which I do find partially hilarious due to the terrible acting in flashbacks). It's still not clear to me:

1) If his father was a known, if lesser, figure in the neighbor hood then how did Fisk manage to have this anonymous life as a mega successful businessman in same said neighborhood. It's one thing if it was an unspoken secret but it's like he comes out of nowhere and everyone's like oh who's that!

2) What exactly is his skill set? He basically gets outplayed by EVERYONE in the show. I could understand if they were going for Tony Montoya type of villain who lives by their code but is undermined by those who break that code - THAT would have been a good way to play it, but as of this season Fisk is kind of not the sharpest knife in the drawer if you think about it.

I'm a big believer that if you set up the universe of your film in a certain way then you need to follow through with it. With Daredevil they opted to go the Dark Knight 'gritty realism' route but chose to use shortcuts that basically say 'look bro you know how this works just roll with it'. I mean, I shouldn't be laughing at the supposedly heartbreaking flashbacks. I shouldn't be finishing the lines before the actors because I've heard them soooo many times before.

The white wall/painting bit was a nice touch though. Wish more of the show was that creative.

Dude...it's just a tv show man

wushuliu

« Reply #31 on: 25 Apr 2015, 05:09 am »
Dude...it's just a tv show man

No. THIS is a TV show.

ajzepp

« Reply #32 on: 25 Apr 2015, 05:22 am »
I'll see your Kroll show and raise you a

wushuliu

« Reply #33 on: 25 Apr 2015, 05:24 am »
I'll see your Kroll show and raise you a

Hm, I'm curious about the show because I like the lead actor. I see S1 is now Netflix. I look forward to pooh-poohing it!

ajzepp

« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2015, 05:28 am »
I'm sure you'll find a way to do just that  :lol:

I'm only two eps in, but so far it's really fascinating. I'm a child of the 80s, so huge nostalgia factor.