iFi iPower (5V)

skunark

iFi iPower (5V)
« on: 7 Mar 2017, 05:00 am »
I ordered one of these last week to use with a raspberry pi3 + hifiberry dac+ pro plugged into my office stereo (Ayre AX-7e and Harbeth P3ESR) initial impression was a clear improvement over the typical wall-wart purchased with it.    For grand total of $130 excluding the RCA cables, it's now seems to be on par with a CD playing on the Oppo BDP-205. 

Jim

jk@home

Re: iFi iPower (5V)
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2017, 01:44 am »
I did a similar upgrade back around Christmas. I was originally using a Raspberry Pi 2 with a HiFi Berry hat (the one that outputs digital). Was waiting for the software program I use (PiCorePlayer) to iron things out with the RP3, before switching to that one. So for the holidays, I treated myself to the RP2 to RP3 upgrade, also replaced the plastic case with the new metal one from HiFiBerry, and replaced the PS with an iPower. Also added another iPower to the MiniDSP NanoDSP unit that is downstream from the PI.

Basically the only difference that should of been audible was the new power supplies. And there was a nice, very noticeable improvement in resolution.

mfsoa

Re: iFi iPower (5V)
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2017, 06:47 pm »
Based on the good feedback, I just bought three. One for Rasp Pi3, one for the network switch it's connected to and one for the Wyred Recovery that it feeds.

System is down for major room re-do so I haven't heard them yet.

But I have been using the 5v to charge phones, to which my wife said "You paid $50 for a phone charger!!"  :icon_lol:

-Mike