Bryston BDP-Pi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston BDP-Pi
« Reply #60 on: 13 Oct 2016, 10:10 am »
What does the bdp2 do that the bdp-pi doesn't?  Different file support and different power supply?  I was thinking running the bdpp off the Vinnie Rossi ultra cap power supply.

Hi Matthew

Just about everything is different. linear power supply, computer circuit board, speed of processing, lanrger library capability, Bryston dedicated sound card, DSD file playback capability, BNC and  AES EBU Balanced output.

james

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #61 on: 13 Oct 2016, 05:59 pm »
So when you say larger library capability, there are internal storages on the two devices?.  Does the pi downgrade DSD to pcm?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #62 on: 13 Oct 2016, 06:10 pm »
So when you say larger library capability, there are internal storages on the two devices?.  Does the pi downgrade DSD to pcm?

HI

No nothing to do with internal storage - I mean the size of the library on your external USB drives. The BDP-2 can handle 100.000 plus libraries with ease whereas the Pi will be slower in accessing large libraries.The BDP-2 can have internal drive installed but the Pi can not.

No the Pi will not play or downgrade DSD to PCM.

james

Paul2016

« Reply #63 on: 14 Oct 2016, 03:30 pm »
Can I expect the Pi to be available for audition at the TAVES Show

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #64 on: 14 Oct 2016, 03:48 pm »
Went to a very well known reseller in the GTA, said they had a BDP-Pi hooked up to a receiver and being very interested in auditioning the Pi I brought along my Memory sticks, one with AIFF files and the other with WAV just in case. Was told when I arrived that Roon wasn't up and running, not caring about Roon for the moment I connected the Flash drive and nothing, no sound, salesperson unplugged everything and did a restart, no sound said the player is very buggy and locks up. Isn't the Pi a plug and play unit? There's more, a sales representative from a well known cable manufacturer was also there promoting the company wares, chimed in saying "What do you expected from a Raspberry Pi" I have no problem with salespeople having preferences to brands but to disparage another was just very unprofessional.
I hope Bryston will have the Pi at the TAVES Show at the end of the month and I will not be going back to the reseller!

Hi Paul,

Can you send me a private email with the name of the dealer please.  Yes the Pi is plug and play - sometimes it is very frustrating that at the dealer level there is not much expertise.
jamestanner@bryston.com

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #65 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:16 pm »
So computer illiterate at this day of age it's sad can the Pi power a portable hard drive for playback or did I need a powered portable. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #66 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:32 pm »
So computer illiterate at this day of age it's sad can the Pi power a portable hard drive for playback or did I need a powered portable.

Hi Mike

Yes you can plug in a 2.5 inch USB drive - try a Western Digital My Passport or a Seagate.

james

Haurock

« Reply #67 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:43 pm »
James will the BOT-1 work with BDP-Pi?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:45 pm »

Hi

I have not tried that as I use the BOT with my BDP-2  - Chris should know - will ask him.

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #69 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:55 pm »
If it does I know someone who will be picking a bot up!

Haurock

« Reply #70 on: 17 Oct 2016, 11:20 am »
Well according the the info page on the BD Pi at Bryston, it will accept a BOT-1 for ripping and playback. 

So now the question becomes is a BD Pi and BOT-1 combo a better solution for my needs than a BCD - 3?

schmidtmike76

« Reply #71 on: 17 Oct 2016, 01:05 pm »
my feelings as well as I think Im over my head with the Pi.  I dont even know how to move itunes music onto a external hard drive.  Im hoping its not to much of a learning curve but the thought of having everything at my finger tips with a little effort is exciting.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #72 on: 17 Oct 2016, 03:44 pm »

It hasn't been as extensively tested with the BDP-Pi as it has been with the BDP-2, but it should work just as well.  The only difference I'm aware of is the BDP-Pi is about 10% slower to rip a cd relative to the BDP-2.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #73 on: 17 Oct 2016, 03:50 pm »
Well according the the info page on the BD Pi at Bryston, it will accept a BOT-1 for ripping and playback. 

So now the question becomes is a BD Pi and BOT-1 combo a better solution for my needs than a BCD - 3?

If all you want is a really good sounding cd transport then I'd go with the BCD-3, i havn't heard one yet but i suspect it would be the superior choice.  If you also want a digital transport as well then the BDP-Pi/BOT combo will still give you a good cd transport in addition to other digital mediums like playing highres files using our traditional method or using 3rd party programs like Roon.

Cheers,
Chris

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #74 on: 17 Oct 2016, 03:52 pm »
my feelings as well as I think Im over my head with the Pi.  I dont even know how to move itunes music onto a external hard drive.  Im hoping its not to much of a learning curve but the thought of having everything at my finger tips with a little effort is exciting.

Open up two windows on your desktop - iTunes Playlist and your Finder with drive directory showing. Then just drag the music from iTunes straight to your external drive showing in Finder.

I know what you mean about computer illiteracy. Thankfully, Chris took me step-by-step whenever my BDP-1 had a hiccup. Now, no more issues (Loony Loon; I have never downgraded to Manic Moose or whatever they call it now....).

zoom25

« Reply #75 on: 17 Oct 2016, 04:08 pm »
Another thing I'd initially test: formatting hard/flash drive.

Try with a few albums to see if everything is loading up correctly and being read. For some reason initially, my NTFS drives weren't working with the BDP-1. The music would load on the BDP-1, but wouldn't play. So I had them formatted to FAT32 on Mac. You can go via "Disk Utility" and select the hard drive and "erase" a hard drive to a new format.

Also, depending on what format you use, start thinking of how to name your artwork. I typically drop one image into each folder titled "Cover.jpg"

It is spelled in the exact same way with the capitalized 'C' and 'jpg', not 'jpeg'....across all my folders. That way it works with Audirvana Plus or any software and the Bryston BDP.

(Although lately I've noticed that the BDP has cannibalized my " images and replaced it with its own versions with something like "bdp_front"...someone mind filling me in?)

Haurock

« Reply #76 on: 17 Oct 2016, 05:53 pm »
If all you want is a really good sounding cd transport then I'd go with the BCD-3, i havn't heard one yet but i suspect it would be the superior choice.  If you also want a digital transport as well then the BDP-Pi/BOT combo will still give you a good cd transport in addition to other digital mediums like playing highres files using our traditional method or using 3rd party programs like Roon.

Cheers,
Chris

My primary source right now is Sonos, that is what I would listen to 90% of the time.  If I chose to got with the BD-Pi and BOT-1 solution then I could eliminate the Sonos.  However, since I only used Red-Book CD's (I don't download music. I prefer having a CD on hand) the BCD-3 is, at this point my preference, but I'm simply wondering if its warranted.  Since, I have the BDA-3, I'm thinking that the BD-Pi/BOT-1 combo should sound as good as the BCD-3 but should cost less, and I would no longer need my computer to RIP CDs. 

schmidtmike76

« Reply #77 on: 22 Oct 2016, 12:23 am »
Im almost done ripping my CD's into AIFF format for the arrival of the Pi.  I did add to the collection but when i dragged the iTunes "music folder" over it asked if I wanted to replace delete or merge?  Which one do I choose from there, thanks for any help.  iMac is my computer

I'm downloading metallics's 24 bit albums as its downloading its going with the cd rips would you keep both copies to a/b test or just get rid of the cd copy
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2016, 02:01 pm by schmidtmike76 »

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #78 on: 23 Oct 2016, 09:42 am »
Im almost done ripping my CD's into AIFF format for the arrival.  I did add to the collection but when i dragged the iTunes "music folder" over it asked if I wanted to replace delete or merge?  Which one do I choose from there, thanks for any help.  iMac is my computer

I'm downloading metallics's 24 bit albums as its downloading its going with the cd rips would you keep both copies to a/b test or just get rid of the cd copy
In general recent remasters of anything but classical or jazz sound worse than original first masters. Metallica is one of the prime examples of this. If you want good sounding Metallica albums, try to find the first Music for Nations pressings. Discogs can be a great (and expensive) help here.
24 bit definitely is NO guarantee to a good or even decent sound. Always trust your ears, never the numbers.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #79 on: 23 Oct 2016, 12:56 pm »
I did a A/B test some albums sound the same but load reload and especially DM sounds really amazing from the CD issue.  Expensive but worth the cost overall even justice sounded a little more thicker in the middle.  Puppets and Lighting were the same.