Tuning and Tweaking an RM-v60 VMPS System w/VLA BASS TOWERS

John Casler

I had the pleasure of being asked to fly to OK City last weekend and Tuning and Tweaking the VMPS SYSTEM of Paul Monroe a long time VMPS Fan, Friend, and Customer.

Paul had recently moved his system from the "short wall" to the "long wall" in his room. 

Paul has no shortage of gear, and his VMPS Speakers were the RM v60 Folded Wings, "with" Dual Woofer Bases (12 6.5" MegaWoofers w/40oz magnets) and a Pair of the rare VLA (very large array) Bass Towers, which have 4 active 12" Woofers and 15" Passive Radiators.

While this is a complex and challenging system, since it was being tri-amped, and at first we ran into some difficult and interesting issues, eventually we were able to connect, tune, tweak, and enjoy a system few will ever get a chance to hear.

Once we had the speakers, and woofers properly placed and adjusted, the soundstage, imaging, bass, and full frequency spectrum was truly majestic.

I kept making additional tweaks as Paul sat in the sweet seat trying to keep his jaw from touching the floor.  From Internet Streaming Sources, to a few dozen new HI-REZ Files he was enjoying the potential of his system like never before.  And I was beaming 8)

Wish I would have thought to take a few more pictures, to chronicle this fun, but all I have is a cell phone shot that gives you an idea of the set-up.

Paul, I am hoping you are still enjoying it and have been taking food and bathroom breaks between sessions. . . .LOL   :lol:

Here was the former set up cramped into the short wall

And here is the more breathable and listenable set up on the LONG WALL

« Last Edit: 13 May 2015, 12:00 am by John Casler »

buddyiramae

Re: Tuning and Tweaking an RM-v60 VMPS System w/VLA BASS TOWERS
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2015, 02:35 pm »
Outstanding!

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2015, 02:42 pm »
One of the final "tweaks" came in the form of taking 2 3' x 3' x 4" wedge foam panels and leaning them against the front of equipment rack/stack.

The level of reflected sound from that much equipment is VERY HIGH.

So while Paul and his friend sat listening with eyes closed, I walked in and placed the panels. 

They couldn't believe the difference, one small tweak made.

The other option, was to move all the gear from between the speakers, but there was no room, and then you have longer cable lengths etc.

Also, since Paul had all his source gear controllable via his "home network", he didn't need clear path infra-red access.

Stimpy

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2015, 05:30 pm »
John, you should have posted a YouTube video, of the sound quality, before-and-after!    :thumb: :duh: :lol:

Plus, that's the 1st pictures that I've seen, with a RM-v60 and the Dual Woofer Bases!  Very nice.  I have to wonder how many of that configuration were sold?  Unfortunately, probably not many.  Otherwise, awesome set-up! 

Housteau

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2015, 06:22 pm »
John, you should have posted a YouTube video, of the sound quality, before-and-after!    :thumb: :duh: :lol:

Plus, that's the 1st pictures that I've seen, with a RM-v60 and the Dual Woofer Bases!  Very nice.  I have to wonder how many of that configuration were sold?  Unfortunately, probably not many.  Otherwise, awesome set-up!

I have regretted not picking those up when I had the chance.  John, are those second bases wired in parallel, or series.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2015, 06:58 pm »
Hi Dave, Since I didn't have to rewire them, I left them as they were, so I don't know, but I would guess parallel.

Maybe Paul will see this and remember how he wired them.

Looks like my next project is a Pair of RM-50s in Birmingham AL.  :thumb: