Modwright LS 100 vs the LS 36.5

enchong

Modwright LS 100 vs the LS 36.5
« on: 31 Aug 2014, 12:10 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am in this cross road right now and i have chance to be able to get either one.  I am using a PASS 250.5 and a VPI Aries turnable and Cremona M Sonus Faber speakers and a Zesto phono stage.  What are your thoughts based on your experience?? appreciate any help thanks

Scottdazzle

Re: Modwright LS 100 vs the LS 36.5
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2014, 07:45 pm »
Hello enchong and welcome to Audiocircle! It looks like you have a very fine system.  As a ModWright dealer and enthusiast, I've had opportunities to listen extensively to both of these models.  The LS 100 is a very versatile and high performing preamp. In addition to its sound quality, it has a headphone amp and the option to add a phono stage or DAC.  IMO, the LS 100 is as good or better than any other preamp in its price range.  But the 36.5 is on a higher level of performance.

You already have a superb phono stage that works exceptionally well with the LS 36.5. I have heard this combination, too. The 36.5 has better resolution, a bigger soundstage, and lower noise floor than the LS 100.  Everything the LS 100 does, the 36.5 does better. 

I'm sure you'd be happy with either in your system, but the 36.5 would be a better match for your system if you can swing it.  Good luck and good listening!

Scott

enchong

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2014, 05:38 pm »
Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply.  I am not sure if the LS 100 that i am auditioning now has upgraded tubes versus the 36.5 but the sound delivers more heart and soul and maybe i will go with it.  I tried the records that didn't sound too well with the 36.5 due maybe to bad recording and it sounded better with the 100.  I listen to a lot of rock and light rock music and the 100 delivers more umph and the bass is fantastic.  thank you so much for your comments.  I will try the 36.5 again tom just to make sure.

warmest regards,

Enchong

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:08 am »
The LS 100 and LS 36.5 are voiced very differently.

The LS 100 with its 6SN7 drivers is warmer and provides more of a tube sound.

The LS 36.5 is transformer coupled out, for fully differential and SE (RCA) outs.  It has a lower output impedance and is VERY quiet.  Tonally it is more resolving and 'fast' sounding than the LS 100.

The fact is, both preamps are exceptional and I would follow your hear and your ears ;).

Take care,

Dan