headphone recommendation for my 4th Gen Imod

schotter

headphone recommendation for my 4th Gen Imod
« on: 19 Dec 2011, 10:06 am »
which headphones will work well with my Imod? I found that my Sennheiser HD 25s produce thumpin' bass and clear highs but pretty much just that. I find them to be utterly unengaging. Clean and cool. Missing the intimacy, space and basically an involving midrange. Also, switching between Imod and my Iphone there is a certain 'sameness'(...Imod sounds more natural and resolves better but not by a huge margin, funnily in my home system the difference is bigger).
Anyhow, I have been using the Senns without amp since their sensitivity seemed just right for most of the music I hear. Could a decent amp yield better results or should I start w. proper cans (no need for closed ones.)? I know, probably both. But this is a secondary 'office setup' and needs to be sensibly budgeted...

cheers
kai

MorganE

Re: headphone recommendation for my 4th Gen Imod
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2011, 11:47 pm »
Suggest you take a look at the Head-Fi web site.

saisunil

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2011, 01:46 am »
1. You have to use a line-out cable (LOD) to an amp to really benefit from the imod - otherwise you are possibly listening only to the the ipod itself without the benefit of the mods ...

So yes you need a headphone amp a line-out cable made for the imod ...
I do not know if I am answering your question or missing it entirely ...

2. Senn HD 25 are known for Rock ... You may want to look into AT M50s or Shure 840 / 940 ... all of them have high sensitivity and sound good amped or unamped ...
Cheers 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2011, 05:54 pm »
Kai,

Saisunil is correct - the output of an iMod is a line-out signal (designed to feed > 5k input impedance of a headphone amp or home audio preamp / integrated -- NOT a headphone directly since the volume cannot be controlled, and the headphone impedance is much too low for a line-out signal).

I hope this helps,

Vinnie