ST-10 Reference LE class stereo amp

rustydoglim

ST-10 Reference LE class stereo amp
« on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:44 am »
I removed John's posting about ST-10 as I need to confirm the spec and photo next week.
ST-10 (MSRP $1595) is a new designed base on V4 R&D project (ie version 4 of our amp technology) and it is good enough to be classified as Reference LE (meaning you can compare it with other brand's reference amp  :thumb:) and it is just a step below our Reference class amp.

What's the difference between the amp in IDA-16, Reference 20, and other NuForce home series like STA-100 ?
It will be too much technical details (and also exposing confidential design information) to actually compare the designs here. An analogy I can use is like car engine and the platform.  All our amps are based on switching amplifier principles using naturally occurring self oscillation as the modulation frequency (instead of a clock based sawtooth waveform that most other class-D designs used). No digital conversion or manipulation. The topology is analog based.  But a topology can be designed and implemented in many different ways, depending on the configuration, power and cost requirement. That's why we have several designs with different sound quality and price.

This topic is locked until I confirm the spec and photo in a few days.

rustydoglim

Re: ST-10 Reference LE class stereo amp
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2014, 06:51 pm »
NuPrime ST-10 Reference LE Class Amplifier

The “LE” of Reference LE designates near-reference-class performance.  The fourth generation (V4 amplifier module) of this patented amplifier design outperforms its predecessor in several aspects:
•   It lowers the noise floor by an astounding 20dB and elevates the output stage to 85% efficiency.
•   Shortened circuit pathways result in a 20% improvement in through-put.
•   Improved reliability in no-load condition and short circuit protection.
•   Increased output current drive capability for low impedance speakers.
•   Increased switching frequency to 700 KHz and an improved musical sampling rate.
•   Improved S/N ratio and dynamic range.
•   New linear power supply with a high-efficiency toroidal transformer.  Reduced high-frequency noise and strengthened low-frequency performance.
•   Signal path avoids cross-linking capacitors, thus achieving a frequency response at DC level for pure musical enjoyment.
•   Enhanced even-order harmonic (H2) circuitry resembling the most attractive features of tubed-amp sound without its drawbacks and limitations. 

Specifications:
•   Power: 2 X 200W at 8 Ohms
•   Input Impedance: 47k Ohms
•   Gain: 21 dB
•   Signal to Noise Ratio: 100dB at 100W
•   Frequency Response: 10Hz to 50kHz
•   Worldwide AC voltage: (90VAC~130VAC / 210VAC~ 250VAC) with Voltage Select Switch
•   AC Fuse: Slow-blow, 7A, 250VAC
•   Dimension:  59 mm H x 215.4 mm W x  394 mm D
•   Color: Black or Silver

ST-10  (MSRP $1595) is shipping Dec 2.  We are accepting orders now.

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2014, 07:08 pm »
FAQ:

1. How do you rank your amps ?
In the following order:  Ref 20, Ref 18, Ref 9V3SE, ST-10
So if you have the NuForce STA-100 (from the home series) or ST8.5V3, it is definitely worth upgrading to ST-10.

2. Which is better:  ST-10 + DAC-10H  or IDA-16 ?
ST-10 + DAC-10H (or DAC-10 without headphone amp) is definitely better sounding than IDA-16.
If you have a pair of high-end bookshelf or high efficiency speaker, you should go for ST-10 and DAC-10 combo.

3. Isn't V4 supposed to sound better than V3SE ?
As explained in the earlier post, we have several amplifier designs.  V4 is yet another design that has potential to sound better than V3SE, but we are not there yet.

4. Will you have V5 ?
Yes, V5 is yet another design for late next year.  Unlike many other brands who use standard modules, we are constantly doing R&D on various amp designs.

5. With so many designs and models, I am confused.  How do I choose?
You are best not to pay too much attention to the version numbers but focus on the classification and what you really need. Even our entry level product is exceptionally good, so whatever you ultimately choose to buy, you are unlikely to be disappointed.  If you want to upgrade, contact us or your dealer.

rjclaster

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2014, 05:45 am »
Why would the DAC-10 (or 10H) plus the ST-10 be better sounding than the IDA-16, inasmuch as the latter has the same dac and amp sections as these separates?

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2014, 06:07 pm »
Because ST-10 is a different class of amp than the one in IDA-16.
DAC-10H is almost the same, but not the same as IDA-16 in that we use linear power supply, better preamp circuit, headphone amp, and very unique dual gain settings that allow RCA to have 2V or 4V, XLR with 4V or 8V, and headphone output RCA and XLR each having 3 separate gain output level.

It is all relative.  So far every customers of IDA-16 have been surprised by how good it sounded.  We have different level of performance and pricing for different requirement.

Louisa0208

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2014, 07:33 pm »
Hi there

Does ST10 sound a lot less better than R9 and is totally in different?
Thanks!

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2014, 02:29 am »
I would say the ST-10 is close to the Ref 9V3SE in overall resolution, dynamic and sound stage. It sounded a bit different, you can say it has more "body".  So it is a matter of taste. But in terms of power, ST-10 still has less power than 9V3SE.
You can think of our current new generation of amps as V4, V5 and V6 all happening in parallel. This is due to two factors: brilliant engineer and bigger engineering team. So our team is able to expand from the original patent in many ways.

The MCA-K28 for example, the output can be bridged and yet achieving reference grade sound quality (typically multi-channel amps that can be bridged are not high-end).

Jason

dr.sah

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2014, 01:49 pm »
Can we get more info about MCA-K28? Power, how many channels?
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2015, 08:03 am by dr.sah »

wellpleased

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2015, 03:35 am »
 :|
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2019, 03:32 am by wellpleased »

Louisa0208

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2015, 06:49 pm »
Thank you for sharing!
How would you describe it's sound character?
Doesn't it sound better than NuForce's R9 or R8 power amp ?
Thanks!

wellpleased

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2015, 11:10 pm »
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2019, 03:33 am by wellpleased »

bh46118

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2015, 05:06 pm »
Have you tried running the ST-10 with IDA-16 as a DAC-preamp to see if the superior sound characteristics of the ST-10 are still fully evident with that combo ?

Bruce

IMO it's sound character is similar to that of the IDA-16 with noticeable improvements in sound-stage width/depth/separation/detail as well as startling bass prowess (it exerts amazing control over the speakers - you'll definitely find out how well your speakers can produce bass) - it has a much more refined quality to it. It also possess' the same crystal clear transparency of the IDA but with more body and richness to the sound. If you feed it a top notch PC and cables and pair it with a warmer sounding SS/tube pre it is simply magical (if you prefer a more neutral presentation than definitely pair it with the DAC-10H - stellar combo). I really can't think of anything on the market that can really compete with it at its price especially when you consider its power/features (XLR/12v trigger)/form factor in addition to the sound - it's an absolute bargain.       

wellpleased

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2015, 02:46 am »
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2019, 03:32 am by wellpleased »

GT Audio Works

« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2015, 03:45 pm »
I have had the pleasure of hearing an ST-10 in my system for almost 2 weeks.
Mark from Well Pleased audio was kind enough to send me one to evaluate.

After the initial love of a new toy in my system wears off, I always expect to start hearing the "warts".
Well I am still waiting, and I do not think there are any to be seen or heard.
The understated appearance of this quality made, compact and quite heavy for its size component belies its ability to take control of a speaker and supply it with a transparent, refined, and  powerful signal, seemingly unfettered by the things one expects at this price point.
The design of the ST-10 seems to have accomplished the overwhelming task of delivering a very musical, transparent and powerful high end amplifier for the cost of entry level gear.

My system consists of a Bryston BCD1 to my Primaluna Dialogue Premium tubed preamp to the ST-10 to a pair of Triode Wire labs American speaker cable, feeding my GTA2.5 planar hybrid speakers.
No matter what kind of music I threw at it, the amp unfailingly supplied the speakers with an wide open, deep,  pristine soundstage with solidly portrayed images. Dynamic contrasts are excellent, whether listening at live levels or quietly late at night, the dynamic swings and solid deep bass line stay intact. Quite impressive !!
I must be fair and tell you my GTA2.5's use 400 watt Hypex plate amps for the powered woofers and the ST-10 is only powering the full range planar and tweeter.
But I have had other amps in my system under the same conditions and none of them have ever portrayed music in such a convincing manner.
All this for $1600...consider me sold !!

Greg

gammajo

« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2015, 07:58 am »
Jason
Thank you for your rankings of the Nuforce/Nuprime products and other FAQ answers - it is very helpful.
Word of mouth (particularly reports of several audiophile listening in shoot outs) and between the lines in reviews are indeed necessary. Sometimes you come across a fact that is telling: For example, deep in the TAS blogs, when asked what he used in his home, Robert Harley stated a good while back that he uses Nuforce Ref 9 (forget the version) in his own personal home theater. This statement is impactful as he has access, I would to suspect, almost any equipment in the world and has heard many an amplifier over his career.

rustydoglim

« Reply #15 on: 12 Apr 2015, 11:30 pm »
We dare to allow any customer to do in-home comparison with any other brand. Just ask the other brand if you can compare and return the one you don't like.  :thumb:

rjclaster

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2015, 10:04 pm »
What is the power output of the ST-10 into 4 ohms?

John Casler

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2015, 10:24 pm »
What is the power output of the ST-10 into 4 ohms?

It is designed to be the same for both 8 and 4 ohms.

rustydoglim

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jun 2015, 01:01 pm »
John is correct, the power max out at 200W per channel and that's massive. Typical listening power is about 10W.

ralflar

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jul 2015, 02:41 am »
How will it handle ML CLSIIz?