Left and Right volume

Cliff B.

Left and Right volume
« on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:57 pm »
I don't know how I missed the Odyssey room at RMAF this year, but somehow I did and I'm kicking myself for missing it.
But that's not the reason for this post...
I bought a used Stratos amp from Aaron L. and absolutely love it. I'm reconfiguring several of my audio setups and in one of them the speakers will be placed at different distances from the listening position, requiring different volume adjustments. Some dac's can handle this but I'm not sure what DAC I'll be using. I'm wondering if any of Klaus' integrated amps or preamps have balance adjustment?
BTW, I was demoing some KEF LS50 speakers at Fort Collins Audio after hearing them at Audiofest and I was feeling a bit disappointed in the sound quality. Something was wrong but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. A Parasound Zdac was doing the conversion work and Don, the owner, suggested we switch to a different dac. He installed the Grace Designs M920 dac and holy cow! What a difference, what an improvement. He next pulled out the Parasound stereo amp and installed a pair of Qucksilver tube monoblock amps; again the improvement in sound quality was DRAMATIC! I left with the Kef speakers and they will be the ones used with the Stratos amp. So, I'm trying to figure out a good way to get balance adjustment and I thought I would start here for suggestions. If it involves another piece of Odyssey gear, I won't complain.  :D I'm open to suggestions about handling this in different ways.
I look forward to your suggestions.
Best regards,
Cliff

Phil A

Re: Left and Right volume
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:15 am »
If there is a difference between the (output of the) channels and you can't move the listening position you can measure it and probably get an inline attenuator.  It would be better if you could move the listening position.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:21 am »
If you can't move the listening position then the better thing to do would be get a preamp with a balance control.

Cliff B.

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:23 am »
If there is a difference between the (output of the) channels and you can't move the listening position you can measure it and probably get an inline attenuator.  It would be better if you could move the listening position.
Unfortunately, the listening position cannot be moved. I'm really looking for a solution that involves volume control or balance control from within a component so that it can be adjusted. The attenuator would be a fixed solution. But thanks for replying.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:23 am »
Something that has a balance control would be - http://bryston.com/products/pre_amps/BP6.html

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:28 am »

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:39 am »
I my experience Odyssey amps work best with tube preamps, so look for one with a balance control or separate gain controls for each channel. Don't know your price range, but the new Backert Labs would do the trick. The W4S STP-SE also works quite well, I used one for several months with the Kismet.

tripwr1964

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2015, 02:01 am »
I my experience Odyssey amps work best with tube preamps, so look for one with a balance control or separate gain controls for each channel. Don't know your price range, but the new Backert Labs would do the trick. The W4S STP-SE also works quite well, I used one for several months with the Kismet.

yeah i agree.
been running my khartago mono se+ with a Decware csp3 pre.  it's also is a killer headphone amp.
it has adjustable input and output gain for both channels.  why all preamps are not like this is beyond me.
you can dial in anything with it and its a sweet sounding unit!
http://www.decware.com/newsite/CSP2.html