RMAF 2013 - IRIS ROOM - Where is the Iris Room????

modwright

RMAF 2013 - IRIS ROOM - Where is the Iris Room????
« on: 30 Sep 2013, 10:54 pm »
Hi guys, we will be at RMAF 2013 this yer (OF COURSE!!!), sharing the IRIS room with Daedalus Audio and Wywires for the second year.

The IRIS room is a MUCH larger room than most and we had exceptional sound last year!  It is NOT in the towers or in the upper floors of the atrium.  Rather, it is on the MAIN floor of the hotel, down the hall, where the meeting and other function rooms are.

Attached is a map that we drew up (OK, crude but effective), to clarify WHERE we are this year!

We will be showing the new 'Elyse' DAC in near final form in the IRIS room.

We will also be showing an early prototype of our new 'Black' phono stage, in room 514 with Dynamic Design cables.
Helius TT/arm and Dynavector XV-1S.

The ELYSE is a fully tubed DAC, transformer coupled in and out with Lundahl transformers, with RCA, XLR, BNC and USB inputs (24/192 full asynch).  Balanced and RCA outs.

BLACK phono features external dual-mono power supply, Lundahl transformer coupling in and out, 68dB gain and variable loading.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing you all there!

Sincerely,

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2013, 07:35 pm by modwright »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: RMAF 2013 - IRIS ROOM - Where is the Iris Room????
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2013, 11:09 pm »
Look forward to seeing you Dan!  Here's a map for most ACers to recognize.  :)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:51 am »
Seems like you were there (or next door) last year or a couple of years ago....? (it all blends together - insert old man with memory issues emoticon)

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2013, 05:28 pm »
Dan, I won't be at RMAF this year but i can't wait to hear about the DAC.

If you can share any details (I understand if you don't want to) can you say what the tube compliment is?

I am sure this is going to be an amazing sounding unit based on what you were able to do with the Transporter and Oppo mods.

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2013, 04:16 pm »
First of all, thanks for the MUCH better map!  I will steal it and replace it here and on our site!

Regarding the DAC, this IS still a prototype and the chassis still has one more iteration.  I welcome feedback from those present at the show.

ETA is also still unknown.  I am taking this product release VERY seriously and there is still final design and beta testing to go before the product is released.

Tube complement: (1) 5AR4, (2) 6922.  Found that for THIS design, tube voltage regulation was NOT the best sound.  SS rectification however WAS ruled out.

Lundahl transformers at DAC output used as part of passive I-V conversion.  Single gain stage, direct-coupled to Lundahl output transformer with NO signal path capacitors at all.

Inputs: RCA, BNC, AES/EBU, USB (no toslink).

DAC: PCM1794

Sample rates: Up to 24/192 fully asynchronous.

Clocking/processing: Proprietary algorithm with clock and data buffering achieved via micro-processor.

Output Impedance: < 100 ohms.

Power Supply Design: R-Core transformer with choke input and dual discrete cascode regulated SS voltage regulation stages for high voltage. Multiple cascaded digital voltage regulation for all digital voltages.

Outputs: RCA and XLR.

Phase: Swichable.

Chassis design allows for ease of tube swapping WITHOUT removing chassis cover.  A form of tube cage required to meet CE requirements.  Photos from RMAF will show our current approach to this.  We think it looks hot ;).

Thanks and please stay tuned for more from RMAF!!!

Dan

audiogoober

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2013, 10:21 pm »
First of all, thanks for the MUCH better map!  I will steal it and replace it here and on our site!

Regarding the DAC, this IS still a prototype and the chassis still has one more iteration.  I welcome feedback from those present at the show.

ETA is also still unknown.  I am taking this product release VERY seriously and there is still final design and beta testing to go before the product is released.

Tube complement: (1) 5AR4, (2) 6922.  Found that for THIS design, tube voltage regulation was NOT the best sound.  SS rectification however WAS ruled out.

Lundahl transformers at DAC output used as part of passive I-V conversion.  Single gain stage, direct-coupled to Lundahl output transformer with NO signal path capacitors at all.

Inputs: RCA, BNC, AES/EBU, USB (no toslink).

DAC: PCM1794

Sample rates: Up to 24/192 fully asynchronous.

Clocking/processing: Proprietary algorithm with clock and data buffering achieved via micro-processor.

Output Impedance: < 100 ohms.

Power Supply Design: R-Core transformer with choke input and dual discrete cascode regulated SS voltage regulation stages for high voltage. Multiple cascaded digital voltage regulation for all digital voltages.

Outputs: RCA and XLR.

Phase: Swichable.

Chassis design allows for ease of tube swapping WITHOUT removing chassis cover.  A form of tube cage required to meet CE requirements.  Photos from RMAF will show our current approach to this.  We think it looks hot ;).

Thanks and please stay tuned for more from RMAF!!!

Dan

:drool:

Can't wait to finally meet and hear it at the show.

Greg

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2013, 08:24 pm »
Look forward to seeing you there!

Please don't forget to check out our prototype 'Black' phono stage in Dynamic Design Cable's room, 514.

Thanks!

Dan

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2013, 01:30 pm »
Managed to get into the room for a bit towards the beginning of the day yesterday. Room is beautiful and was producing pretty good sound. I do love the look and feel of those speakers.  :thumb:

Saw the new DAC prototype....

Dan was busy outside of the room with an interview, but managed to chat with Kristin for awhile (told her I was still kicking myself for not purchasing one of the show demo Oppo 105's  :banghead: ). Talked about the raised round cover on the top - apparently it's not final yet - it's designed to comply with European regulations which require some sort of cover over all Tubes. Said they were seeking opinions. I said I wasn't sure, but it's such a departure. Might grow on me though.

I will definitely stop back in late today or Sunday and see how the room sound evolves.

dminches

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2013, 07:52 pm »
What are all the buttons for on the front panel.  I assume 1 set is for the input.  What are the others for?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2013, 02:28 am »
Just wanted to let you guys know that Modwright was powering not one, but TWO rooms on our best of show:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120535.msg1267552#msg1267552

and

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120535.msg1267553#msg1267553

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2013, 06:34 pm »
Hi guys, it is true that the top plate on the unit is a 'concept' to allow for ease in tube swapping, use of larger rectifier tubes and the need to satisfy CE requirements.

The goal is to provide a way to safely cover tubes for normal operation with stock tubes.  If a customer decides to swap out the stock rectifier for a LARGE EML 5U4G or similar on their own, then they may remove the 'cover'.  However, to meet CE requirements, we must provide a protective cover over ANY exposed tubes.  No different than any tube amp that you see with exposed tubes.  They ALL ship with a 'cage', although you may never see it photographed this way.

Buttons from left to right on the 'ELYSE':  PWR, MUTE, PH (Phase), DISP (May toggle displays LED's off/on); LED's - 44.1K, 48.0K, 88.1K, I/R (IR Input receiver location for remote control), 96.0K, 176.4K, 192K, 384K (DSD not part of current design, but will be made available as future upgrade); Buttons: USB, RCA, BNC, AES (aes/ebu - xlr).  Still toying with the idea of whether to include a volume control (defeatable) or not.  INPUT WELCOME HERE!

Aesthetic changes will include a faceplate that matches more the styling of the LS 36.5, i.e. engraved main text, not silkscreen.  Also, may include one or two knobs in lieu of some buttons, if we add a volume control.  May be VC knob and input knob, in lieu of four input buttons.  Again, INPUT WELCOME!

Reception to the sound is our room was VERY GOOD!  Between Lou's V.2 speaker upgrades and the use of our DAC, I believe that we definitely took it up a notch and it could be HEARD!

Thanks,

Dan

dminches

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2013, 06:40 pm »
Dan, the unit looks like a beautiful addition to your lineup.

My preferences would be to have the volume control as a upgrade, not part of the base unit.

A knob to select the input would be fine, but so are the push buttons.  If I had my choice I would pick the buttons.

When do you think this will be available?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2013, 03:57 pm »
Dan

Do you mind sharing why you used a Furman conditioner which was then plugged into the Wywires ($2500 or $3900 unit? 

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2013, 04:33 pm »
Dan:  You have good output impedance and probably good current drive as well, so I think offering the option of a volume control as an add on is a good idea, but only if the volume control is really good, and the DAC is really capable of driving most amplifier input stages "perfectly".
In my experience, going amp direct can work great as long as the DAC output stage is capable, and offering this as an option for your customers is a good idea.
I think DSD is a must...  If I were you, I might delay release until you have it included...  This should not be too difficult to do via USB/DoP...  I assume you are using an XMOS based USB interface???

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2013, 04:38 pm »
Barrows, he's not using XMOS, but I also pushed DSD (duh!) and he's open to having it be a next release thing. 

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2013, 04:40 pm »
One other suggestion; perhaps up the USB input to 24/384, and allow users to turn off the first 8x OSF in the 1794 chip.  A lot of computer audio folks these days are interested in running an OSF in the computer, and bypassing the DAC chip's onboard OSF.  This allows a wide range of experimentation in filter design, and the software to do this already exists (HQplayer, XX Highend, Audirvana, etc).

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2013, 07:44 pm »

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2013, 08:36 pm »
Dan

Do you mind sharing why you used a Furman conditioner which was then plugged into the Wywires ($2500 or $3900 unit? 

We used the Power Broker ($2499) to power the KWA150SE and the Furman, which provided voltage regulation for the rest of the gear. Normally one would plug all the gear with advanced power supplies ie: power amp, pre-amp, DAC etc. into the Power Broker and if needed use a conditioner like the Furman for other gear which may have less advanced power supplies and would benefit from conditioner.

Please remember that this is a show and the voltage can fluctuate wildly! Please don't try this at home!

thanks,
Lou

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality

modwright

« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2013, 06:50 pm »
Hi guys and thanks for the input!

Regarding the volume control, I am in a quandary.  If I use a digitally controlled analog stepper, then I need to include a dig. display, which I really don't want to do, for aesthetic purposes.  If I use a regular volume pot, it comes down to either the Alps blue or TKD.  The TKD is much better.  Including a R/C stepper would just be prohibitively expensive.

I don't want to add knobs, as I also prefer the buttons.  We COULD include Vol. up, Vol. dn. buttons, but then there needs to be some sort of visual indicator as to volume level.  Lou at Daedalus made a good suggestion here, and that is a ring of LEDs around the logo, to indicate level.  This is do-able.

RE DSD, to be honest, the tech 'leap-frogged' me in the design of this product.  I will research the options suggested above.

RE output impedance, it is fully transformer coupled with a gapped Lundahl transformer.  Because the transformer is used in a step-down config., the Zout is VERY low. I believe < 100 ohms.

Thanks guys!

Dan