Depreciation/Resale Value

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Depreciation/Resale Value
« on: 23 Aug 2014, 11:12 pm »
I've been thinking about this on and off for a bit and seeing a set of 3.7s for less than 1/2 of the retail price really made me wonder:
For the planar speakers, which brand offers the best resale value?
Martin Logan and now Magnepan change models/upgrade them at a pretty rapid clip so that tends to put a damper on things.
For those of you who keep an eye on trends such as this, are there any planar speakers that tend to hold their resale value after a few years? 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Depreciation/Resale Value
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2014, 05:41 am »
I'd say Magnepan resale values are still among the best. I paid 75% of retail for a used pair of 1.7's maybe two years back.  I think what might have hurt 3.7 resale is the introduction of the 3.7i.  Same thing happened to the 1.6's when the 1.7 came out.  Current market value on 1.7's still seems to be about 70% of new - 60% at the least. 

I've seen old Martin Logans going for next to nothing.  Can't say about Sanders, Kind Sound, Janzen, Acoustat, Apogee etc.  Old Quads also don't have great resale value even if the $ asking is similar to the original #, with inflation that $1 was worth twice what it is now.  In any case I probably wouldn't touch Quads unless they've been restored / upgraded.  I'd probably say the same for Acoustat & Apogee at this point as well. And properly restored / upgraded ones of those brands are gonna cost you big $, but probably worth it. 

En fin, I think the 50% used value rule pretty much hold true even for planers, with recent Magnepan models holding up a bit better than most, at least in the ol USA. 

Emil

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2014, 03:27 pm »

As we all know, shipping is an issue with Magnepans. No one want to ship or even have them shipped therefore you have a much smaller radius of potential buyers.

I decided to sell my 3.6s locally at a lower price than have them shipped at a higher price.
Too much of a headache.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2014, 03:57 pm »
Something to keep in mind too, which I think potential buyers may be aware of, is older speakers may need some maintenance or will soon. With Magnepans, (not full ribbon models), delamination can be an issue. With ML's I know at least that some of the older models panels don't fare too well over time and/or in humid climates. Well, I guess humidity probably isn't good for Maggies either. Anyway, I think this can be part of the reason for the low resale prices. The owner is accounting for age and expenses involved with maintenance.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2014, 02:48 pm »
1 series and above Maggies can be a shipping issue, though not so w/ other models (e.g.I've bought & sold center channels + others). 
Maggies seems to move quickly anyway, at least the current gen models, even when local pick up is demanded, IF your within a reasonable distance of a major metropolitan area.  If your not, well then you really should be willing to ship if you want to maximize your sale.   

Delamination can be an issue w/ older models + MMG models if very old, but with the QR models it seems unlikely.  Time will tell. 

In other words : I don't see Maggies as either being a significant depreciation or condition problem vs other speakers.  Have you seen what say Paradigms, PSBs, or even older Martin Logan's go for?  Lucky if it's 20 cents on the dollar.  By that standard even 50% seems good.

brooklyn

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2014, 04:09 pm »
Shipping whether buying or selling is always my main concern with Maggies and the reason I haven’t gotten a larger pair then my MMG’s up till now, for me they are the perfect size and I truly love the way the sound in my listening room.

I have bought (used) and had them shipped to me with no problems. I sold a few models over the years but I always sold local when I lived in NY and one pair in Kansas City, I alway got a fair price for them because let’s face it, they are unique.
Jarcher is right… They always move quick.

I would like to try the new .7’s when they become available. Not to much larger then the MMG’s and not to big for my room.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2014, 02:12 pm by brooklyn »

Waker

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2014, 01:05 am »
I like to think I have the least-traveled Maggies in America.  I live 25 miles from the factory in White Bear Lake, MN.  I also live 8 blocks from Audio Perfection, the only audio store authorized to sell Magnepan speakers in MN.  When I sell my pristine 3.6R's, it will be a local sale.  Anyone in the Twin Cities area has about the same advantage, but 8 blocks?   

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2014, 11:30 am »
And don't forget the the best bargain of all with Maggie's is buying and selling used.  I actually made money selling my MMG's, and I'm sure it would be similar with other models.  Slightly tangential, but most audio equipment bought used is a great value, there's very little if no depreciation beyond that first hit from new on most items, digital excluded of course.  Some turntables and amps from the 80's are selling for what they went for new, not figuring in inflation, but still.

Photon46

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2014, 03:16 pm »
As stated, shipping Magnepans is a major hassle. The factory packaging is totally inadequate for shipping IMO. Few people take the time to construct proper auxiliary packaging for safe transport. If you don't have access to a table or panel saw to cut protective plywood panels and banding equipment for holding it all together, I wouldn't even think about shipping Magnepans on a resale. Same worries on your end if you are buying used. Full size floor standing speakers of any type are a hassle to purchase or sell. The only way to do it safely is to ship strapped on a palette and few people want to pay to do it right.

jsm71

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2014, 03:54 pm »
When I sold my Maggie 1.7s I got 75% of original price, minus tax and I insisted on a local sale.  My buyer drove a few hours with a buddy to pick them up.  I still had the original boxes but those were just sufficient to protect them in the back of their vehicle, IMO.  I had no intention of selling them when I bought them and didn't think through resale issues.  I consider myself lucky to have found this buyer.  They had about 2 years on them.   Maggies have good resale interest level.  If you can avoid the shipping both sides win.

Photon46

« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2014, 05:53 pm »
If you got 75% of retail you were exceptionally lucky. I wouldn't tell others to count on that as I've seen many, many pair go on Audiogon go for more like 50%  of retail (which was all I could could get for a mint pair of 1.6's.) As in all kinds of selling, if you're lucky enough to get a "hot" buyer you can do better than the norm.

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2014, 06:07 pm »
I would say the below is pretty much what I have seen on the used market actually sell.  As others have noted though these still require a local buyer as shipping pretty much has to be freight and I would highly doubt that a buyer would add $300 to the below prices.  I would not call those prices exceptionally good but would say if you buy used you probably won't lose much, but that goes with just about any audio equipment.  Obviously selling local pickup only may force an even lower price especially if you don't want to wait for the right buyer. Of course motivated sellers will take what is being offered as I bought my 3.6's for 1400 3 years ago.  I sold them about a year ago and bought 3.7's.
1.6's -$750
1.7's -$1250
3.6's -$2500
3.7's -$3800
3,7i's -$4100
20.1's - $5000
20.7's - $9800
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2014, 08:40 pm by harri009 »

jsm71

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2014, 02:59 pm »
If you got 75% of retail you were exceptionally lucky. I wouldn't tell others to count on that as I've seen many, many pair go on Audiogon go for more like 50%  of retail (which was all I could could get for a mint pair of 1.6's.) As in all kinds of selling, if you're lucky enough to get a "hot" buyer you can do better than the norm.

I agree getting 75% was lucky, but the buyer saved shipping costs (more than the gas he burned) and got piece of mind picking them up.  I would have done the same thing.  I shudder to think of the myriad problems shipping would bring.  He was also able to hear them first and visually inspect them.   I'm just glad we were both happy.

Photon46

« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2014, 04:32 pm »
Glad it worked out well for all involved :thumb: I had to ship when I sold & it was a LOT of work. I basically built a second outer box of 1/4" luan plywood with an extra inch of dense styrofoam sheet on the sides between the original packaging and the new plywood. I strapped everything together with multiple nylon binding straps and metal clamps. Thankfully, FedEx handled the package with care and it arrived in good shape.