How is the Newport Show going?

Vinnie R.

Re: How is the Newport Show going?
« Reply #40 on: 8 Jun 2016, 06:41 pm »
This just posted from Sasha Matson / Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/show-newport-sashas-day-two-part-one#LxWjCdesYx5ZQ4CP.97

There's Louis in all his gravelly glory: I could hear every one of his breaths and swallows, and feel him reaching for that handkerchief of his. And Ella! Did that woman ever sing a single pitch off-key? I'm not aware of it. Vinnie, Volti, & Triode — this trio of American patriots gets my vote!

:thumb:

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #41 on: 8 Jun 2016, 07:21 pm »
Thanks Matthew!

Working the script right now, ill have part I of the review pretty soon.

Excellent, thanks.  Looking forward to it.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #42 on: 8 Jun 2016, 09:14 pm »
Congratulations on the review in Stereophile. 

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #43 on: 8 Jun 2016, 09:23 pm »
Hey, Pete!  Glad you guys had another great show!  How about some of the following (for me and or the crowd watching at home):

1) Price?
2) Can it also be made in more traditional cable lengths? 
3) Is this cable across the board better as a dongle as short as it can be made, or is there a sweet spot in cable length for performance like some of the other USB cables on the market?
4) Any details to share in regards to the build of the cable (connectors, termination, cryo, etc.)?
5) I'm guessing stiff vs. flexible is solid core vs. stranded wire?  Any performance difference between the two?
6) I'm assuming that this cable is designed not to pass power via the USB bus, or are the power connections still there but unused in the case of the uRendu?

That should get the conversation started.  :green:  Feel free to move some of this to a thread in your circle if more appropriate to break off this topic so this thread stays on track with reports from the show. :)

[Edit] Oh, and say Hi to Dave for me!  :thumb:

Hey Jonathon-
Here's some answers to your questions -
1) Price? - $149
2) Can it also be made in more traditional cable lengths?  YES, but the short 7-3/4" dongle sounds really good & other lengths need to be a fraction of a certain length to sound its best (BTW- 1 meter length does not sound so good, but 1.5 meter does!)
3) Is this cable across the board better as a dongle as short as it can be made, or is there a sweet spot in cable length for performance like some of the other USB cables on the market? - See Answer #2 above...
4) Any details to share in regards to the build of the cable (connectors, termination, cryo, etc.)? Cryo'd copper wire with "organic" materials that are compatible with USB signal transmission and does not degrade the sound...
5) I'm guessing stiff vs. flexible is solid core vs. stranded wire?  Any performance difference between the two? We're (Dave E & I) are still working on the flexible design... Wire remains the same between the two but making the stiff version is easier but not practical for most users. The production version will be flexible...
6) I'm assuming that this cable is designed not to pass power via the USB bus, or are the power connections still there but unused in the case of the uRendu? Most devices require a 5V handshake to get the process going and very importantly, there is a reference ground leg... Therefore, the power connection is still there but not really used.

The production versions can be purchased at Triode Wire Labs or PI Audio Group...

I also have special "regular" USB cable debuting very soon that "splits" the power & data legs, in 0.75m & 1.5m lengths...

Since this is Vinnie's forum, all future cable conversations should be directed to my TWL Circle... I'll start a thread over there...

Thanks,
Pete

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #44 on: 8 Jun 2016, 09:27 pm »
This just posted from Sasha Matson / Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/show-newport-sashas-day-two-part-one#LxWjCdesYx5ZQ4CP.97

:thumb:

Congrats Vinnie and Pete on the great review.

Sounds like I will need to hear those horns at some point.

George

Vinnie R.

« Reply #45 on: 8 Jun 2016, 10:43 pm »

Congrats Vinnie and Pete on the great review.

Thanks, guys!

Is that a custom made wooden wedgie that I see used with Vinnie's stiffie connector in the above photo?

Nah... just a doorstop that we used to get the uRendu lifted  :green:

Working the script right now, ill have part I of the review pretty soon.

Really looking forward to it, Ron!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #46 on: 13 Jun 2016, 03:39 pm »
Just posted by Rafe Arnott of Part Time Audiophile:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/06/13/newport-2016-vinnie-rossi-and-greg-roberts-of-volti-audio-release-their-beasts/

Quote from: Rafe Arnott / Part Time Audiophile
The LIO in Chicago with the big Harbeths was emotionally engaging, and delivered on every sonic front I could grade it on, and Newport was no different, except the Voltis expanded the sound stage, and brought an even deeper organic, and visceral impact to the music. That, and real quickness. Attack speed on notes, and transients was blinding. The efficient Vittoras were able to enjoy far more headroom, and shrugged-off big, fat dynamic swings with Rossi’s 25 watts on tap.  Deep bass guitar notes, and inflection? Check. Open, spacious air around vocals, and pinpoint instrument separation? Yup. Guitar-string pluck, note sustain, and three-point, fade-away jump shot decay on strings, cymbals, and high hats? Gawd yeah.

Thank you, Rafe!

:banana piano:

- Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #47 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:31 am »
I love that Machiavellian/Godfather-esque profile shot at the beginning. :)

Plus I am -dying- to try the Volti Vittoras, they're my dream speaker.  My wife would love the Mid-Century Modern "Mad Men" look, a la "tower room at Eden Roc" but would be vetoed by the size.  As it stands, when I move this Autumn, I'm going to upgrade from the fantastic Joseph Audio Pulsars to the Perspectives, adding some bass kick without any difference in floor space.  By that time, I'll be powering the speakers with the VR 120 too, so they should really thump!

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #48 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:42 am »
Hey Jonathon,
Yep, a short, prototype USB "dongle" was used for connecting from microRendu USB output to the Vinnie Rossi LIO DAC USB input. The "dongle" is a joint venture between Dave Elledge (P.I. Audio Group) & Triode Wire Labs... At the show, we used a "stiff" version (see picture below) but Vinnie has a short (~6") flexible version to try-out at his leisure...

Any other questions, please let me know...

Thanks,
Pete

This will eventually be somewhat more flexible so we can move the microrendu a little bit?   Thx!

Matthew

DavidH

« Reply #49 on: 14 Jun 2016, 09:07 am »

Plus I am -dying- to try the Volti Vittoras, they're my dream speaker.  My wife would love the Mid-Century Modern "Mad Men" look, a la "tower room at Eden Roc" but would be vetoed by the size. 

I am fortunate to own a set of 'flame cedar' Vittoras and also a LIO. Truly a match made in heaven. I think the whole 'but its so huge' speaker thing is completely over done. These are simply gorgeous objects. They are not that tall so they don't loom over you or require stands. Greg Roberts personal preference is for a somewhat 'near field' listening experience. You really don't need a concert hall to be thrilled by these beauties.

If you give them a shot you cannot possibly be disappointed with their sound or their looks. Ridiculous value too.

David

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #50 on: 14 Jun 2016, 02:19 pm »
I am fortunate to own a set of 'flame cedar' Vittoras and also a LIO. Truly a match made in heaven. I think the whole 'but its so huge' speaker thing is completely over done. These are simply gorgeous objects. They are not that tall so they don't loom over you or require stands. Greg Roberts personal preference is for a somewhat 'near field' listening experience. You really don't need a concert hall to be thrilled by these beauties.

If you give them a shot you cannot possibly be disappointed with their sound or their looks. Ridiculous value too.

David

Fair enough I'll take it under advisement :)

Vinnie R.

« Reply #51 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:35 am »
I love that Machiavellian/Godfather-esque profile shot at the beginning. :)

Me, too - that was very cool!  :wink:

Plus I am -dying- to try the Volti Vittoras, they're my dream speaker.  My wife would love the Mid-Century Modern "Mad Men" look, a la "tower room at Eden Roc" but would be vetoed by the size.  As it stands, when I move this Autumn, I'm going to upgrade from the fantastic Joseph Audio Pulsars to the Perspectives, adding some bass kick without any difference in floor space.  By that time, I'll be powering the speakers with the VR 120 too, so they should really thump!

For me, the Volti Vittoras are a fine example of a pair of ~$25K speakers (with the Extended Low Frequency bass unit) that
I believe are worth the factory-direct asking price.  As you probably have read elsewhere, they are built like fine pieces of furniture,
can play any type of music that you throw at them, and can play soft to very intense volume levels and then some!  And the tone -
the tone!!!  I never heard a horn speaker like them.  :singing: :singing: :singing:

So why don't I own them (yet)?  The main reason is that I don't believe that I quite have a listening room that is large enough to get the very best from them.  While they don't require corner placement, they sound best when not placed right up against the walls.  And they sound best with enough distance between them to allow for a most impressive soundstage.  When the day comes when I have a larger listening space (and the $$$ to spend), they will be on the top of my list. 

This will eventually be somewhat more flexible so we can move the microrendu a little bit?   Thx!

Yes - Pete is working on replacing that prototype USB dongle with a much more flexible version.  I should have one to test soon and
am looking forward to it.

I am fortunate to own a set of 'flame cedar' Vittoras and also a LIO. Truly a match made in heaven.

Hi DavidH,

Greg Roberts personal preference is for a somewhat 'near field' listening experience. You really don't need a concert hall to be thrilled by these beauties.

This is true... at NYAS'15 and recently at Newport Beach '16, the rooms were nowhere near concert hall sized and they do work
fine in the "mid field" (I'd say you need at least 6 feet from your head to the front of the speaker, and ideally 8 feet or more).

Glad to hear you own them and LIO, DavidH!  And finished in flame cedar, too!  :drool:

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #52 on: 16 Jun 2016, 10:28 pm »
http://audio-head.com/volti-and-vinnie-t-h-e-show-newport-2016/

Thanks to Brian Hunter of AudioHead for visiting our room at Newport Beach and adding us to his show coverage!

Quote from: Brian Hunter / AudioHead
The combination with the Vittora system was buttery and full at the show. The extension downward felt well appropriated and the mids were densely populated with acoustic information. It was good old-fashion fun listening to Vinnie tear through a well constructed set of varying musical genres. I recommend a visit if you are in the area of a local audio show.

Greg Roberts of Volti Audio... talking about the BIG sound his Vittoras brought to our room!  I think
I was patting his back or something...  :green:

:beer:

Vinnie

Volti Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #53 on: 17 Jun 2016, 05:19 pm »
I want to see the 'serious face' photo. 

Greg

Vinnie R.

« Reply #54 on: 17 Jun 2016, 05:38 pm »

Greg

Like when you found out that our room banner arrived crushed:

:icon_surprised:

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
« Reply #55 on: 17 Jun 2016, 06:36 pm »

Greg

... Or how about this pic with you "woofing down" the multiple entrees we (Vinnie, you & I) ordered at the Korean restaurant!   :lol:

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
« Reply #56 on: 17 Jun 2016, 06:38 pm »
Can't exclude Vinnie from this!

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #57 on: 17 Jun 2016, 06:48 pm »
Seriously, how much food did you guys eat??!  I count about twelve bowls worth...And I want to see the video of Vinnie consuming the soup with those chopsticks...or are they straws?;)  Looks like you had fun and ate well.  Color me jealous all the way around.

Volti Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 18 Jun 2016, 12:19 am »
That WAS a lot of food.  The fried chicken was fantastic. 

I think the wait staff was laughing at us for ordering so many entrees.  It's just soup, right? 

Greg

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: 18 Jun 2016, 12:37 am »
Waiiiiiit a second.  All of that food for just the two of you?  I thought the pic was just of the two of you but there were others at the table just not in the pic.  :lol:   The more I hear about Vinnie the more I like him.   :oops: