Tube rolling for L4 DAC

slefley

Tube rolling for L4 DAC
« on: 22 Apr 2016, 06:19 pm »
I've been using the supplied tubes for about 1 year now and am very happy with the sound.  But I'm wondering if others have tried different tubes and noticed improvements? 

victor_cc

Re: Tube rolling for L4 DAC
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2016, 10:13 pm »
Hi,

I have a L4 G4 and I have rolled a bit. My opinion:

- Sylvania 6SN7W Short bottle. My favorite tube, best tonal balanced to my liking.
- Sylvania 6SN7W big bottle. My favorite too, a bit less accurate but bigger soundstage.
- Ken-Rad 6SN7GT VT-231 . My second favorite. Bass to die for.
- 1578 Russian tubes. Comparable to the best. Very recommended by Lampizator. I like them too but I find the timbre a bit strange.
- Tungsol 6SN7WGT tubes. Good overall but not as good as previous.
- Default Sovtek. So so, all previous tubes sound better to my liking. I recommend you to try others.

Then I have tried different rectifiers. RCA came with my Lampi and I prefer the Sylvania 5Y3WGT and Bendix 6106 being the Bendix a bit  bass shy but more controlled a the Sylvania a bit more natural sounding.

Cheers,

Victor.

dminches

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2016, 01:09 pm »
I've been using the supplied tubes for about 1 year now and am very happy with the sound.  But I'm wondering if others have tried different tubes and noticed improvements?

Does your unit have ECC40s or 6SN7s?  And which rectifier does it use?

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2016, 03:40 pm »
Wow ! I didn't know they made the L4G4 in a 6SN7 version...
I thought they all were ECC40 and then ecc8* and 6X5 recti.

What does the L4 G5 come as?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2016, 04:05 pm »

What does the L4 G5 come as?

My L4 G5 has two 12au7's and two 12at7's with a 5y3 rectifier.

Makes me wonder how many variations there are...

slefley

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2016, 04:56 pm »
it looks like there are many variations.  Mine uses 6922/7308, 12AT7/ECC81 with the 6X5 rectifier.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2016, 06:01 pm »
As far as trying different tubes I believe mine came with RCA clear tops and replaced them with Amperex bugle boys and liked the added warmth while keeping the detail. The real improvement I got was going to a Sylvania rectifier. Best way I could describe it was an increase in transparency/detail while being more musical...it just sounded right. I can't remember what stock rectifier I had.

doak

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2016, 07:03 pm »
My L4 G5 uses a pair of 6DJ8/6922 and a pair of 12AU7/ECC82.
The set Lampizator/Lukasz supplied was very, very good: Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 and RFT 12AU7.  I tried a few other things early on but was unable to find something I liked better.  Recently I've done more tube rolling and it took a lot of experimentation and some $$ to usurp the original set. I am now using a pair of Telefunken ECC88 along with Brimar long plate 12AU7.  Plus, the rectifier is now Bendix 5852 - big meaty sound with still much finesse.
Has deepened my affection for my Lampi which I heretofore thought was not possible.  :D
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2016, 12:02 am by doak »