Bryston Headphone Interface

Napalm

Re: Bryston Headphone Interface
« Reply #60 on: 20 Feb 2011, 05:48 pm »
Thanks for the feedback - the idea with this headphone interface unit using OP amps/batteries etc. is
(1) portability,

I can't see how a full sized box could fit in my pocket. Surprise me, James. Maybe it's a folding one?

OTOH we may build our own and mod it to no end:

http://www.hifidiyshop.com/opa2604lm1875-amplifier-board_p248.html

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 20 Feb 2011, 06:00 pm »
I can't see how a full sized box could fit in my pocket. Surprise me, James. Maybe it's a folding one?

OTOH we may build our own and mod it to no end:

http://www.hifidiyshop.com/opa2604lm1875-amplifier-board_p248.html

Nap.

Sure feel free Nap :D

james

Napalm

« Reply #62 on: 20 Feb 2011, 06:08 pm »
Sure feel free Nap :D

james

With TONE CONTROLS! Yehaaaa!

:tempted:

mkaiser

« Reply #63 on: 20 Feb 2011, 11:55 pm »
This would be great. I asked this question 3 years ago about Bryston manufacturing a high-end headphone amplifier. Please see below.

Quote from: mkaiser on 27 Dec 2007, 12:12 AM

Hi James and all,

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and are gearing up for the New Year.

I looked back in the Topics from a few years ago and noticed there was some people inquiring about Bryston manufacturing a high end headphone amp and possibly a DVD player. James, has there been any more talk at Bryston to take a look into this. I would love to continue the Bryston Signature sound from the source (DVD player?) to speaker/headphone.
Just thought i would bring up an old posting and see if there is any news on it.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

No we have not looked at any headphone amp projects.  We have been busy with other projects and a dedicated stereo headphone amp would have a very small market potential.

The DVD is a long way off because until the new High-Def audio and video formats get setted there is no point in looking at a DVD player.

james

I hope this idea is for real. This way i would have an all Bryston rig. Nice to hear that perhaps the market for headphones/amps has improved.

PS include balanced interconnect input on rear and if possible the front as i drive fully balanced Sennheiser HD 800's. You would not believe how good balanced headphones sound.  :thumb:

mkaiser

« Reply #64 on: 21 Feb 2011, 02:04 am »
Well, I already have a 4B near my preamp, and since it's there I would play the speakers instead of the headphones....

How about smaller thing that you could also take with you in the office or while traveling/commuting?

Nap.

Nap, your talking to the wrong company for toyish portable devices. A portable headphone player will never fly with Bryston.
Bryston is serious about sound reproduction. Perhaps surf for a low/mid fi manufacturer for the device you are looking for. Grahm Slee makes a nice portable headphone player...i think it's called the Voyageur or something along those lines.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #65 on: 21 Feb 2011, 02:09 am »

I can actually feel the vibration of the earth as Nap's response grows nearer... :peek:

D.

mkaiser

« Reply #66 on: 21 Feb 2011, 03:01 am »
We will probably build a second unit which will have a more conventional approach with discrete circuits and built in power supply etc. later on.

james

James,
Now i'm even more excited for this one... this will be more what i'm looking for.
Also, if you down the road make this second unit please make the DAC section as optional.

Can hardly wait.... cheers!

Mark

Napalm

« Reply #67 on: 21 Feb 2011, 04:36 am »
Nap, your talking to the wrong company for toyish portable devices. A portable headphone player will never fly with Bryston.
Bryston is serious about sound reproduction.

Then how comes the headphone output of the BP-26 (the top of the line in Bryston preamps and quite expensive by any standards) needs to be supplanted by an external unit?

And we're proposed nothing less than an opamp as the "better" way?

Any way I'm looking at it the only rational things would be:

1) fix the output in the BP-6 and BP-26 for the people using headphones at home

2) do a portable box for those that want to enjoy headphones on the go

Nap.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #68 on: 21 Feb 2011, 05:36 am »
We will probably build a second unit which will have a more conventional approach with discrete circuits and built in power supply etc. later on.
james

James: When do you see the two versions of the BHA going to market?

D.

Phoenix

« Reply #69 on: 21 Feb 2011, 08:48 am »
Hi James!

A Bryston Headphone Interface should be at least as good as this one (999 €):

Input impedance. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .50 kΩ
Maximum amplification. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18 dB
Frequency response. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 Hz - 100 kHz (-1 dB)
T.H.D.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.001% at 170 mW / 250 Ω
Channel separation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  > 89 dB
Output power. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100 mW / 600 Ω
                                                                                                         170 mW / 250 Ω
                                                                                                         150 mW / 30 Ω
Unweighted signal-to-noise ratio. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . > 100 dB
Output impedances. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Line Out (depending on the connected device),
                                                                               100 Ω headphone output
Power consumption. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .< 15 W via internal, controlled power pack
Audio connections. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Headphone socket, 1 Line output,
                                                                                2 Audio inputs (gold-plated RCA sockets)

Hand built with discrete electronic components.

I've heard this device several times together with a Beyerdynamic T1 and it was simply phenomenal! It's like if there's only music - all technology steps back and let you enjoy the pure sound. Really amazing.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 21 Feb 2011, 11:43 am »
James: When do you see the two versions of the BHA going to market?

D.

Hi Diamond,

I will be auditioning the first version next week and then I would say a couple of months - I have about 10 different headphones on the way to audition. The next version a few months after that :D

james

Napalm

« Reply #71 on: 21 Feb 2011, 01:45 pm »

I have about 10 different headphones on the way to audition.

Cool, and you can audition up to 8 of them at a time:

Let us know which you liked most.

Nap.  :green:

Napalm

« Reply #72 on: 21 Feb 2011, 02:04 pm »
And don't forget to take pics. We all love headphones pics here.

Nap.  :P

Napalm

« Reply #73 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:14 pm »
For James:

http://www.headphonereviews.org/headphone/AKG/K701

This to keep him inspired so he doesn't come up with a bass-shy amp.

BrystonFan

« Reply #74 on: 4 Mar 2011, 12:28 am »
Napalm,
Wherever do you find such well-balanced images ? :lol:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #75 on: 4 Mar 2011, 01:05 am »
those women are 'up to something' ......
besides headphones...  :nono:
Or, they are testing the cord for 'tooth mark resistance'  :wink:

Napalm

« Reply #76 on: 4 Mar 2011, 02:48 am »
Napalm,
Wherever do you find such well-balanced images ? :lol:

Lol. I'm a sucker for headphones. And pussies:

terrycym

« Reply #77 on: 4 Mar 2011, 01:22 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #78 on: 17 Apr 2011, 09:44 pm »

james

rob80b

« Reply #79 on: 17 Apr 2011, 10:40 pm »

james

Cool, when and how much?
Or I'll borrow the top left one for evaluation!

Robert