static electricity puts B135 SST2 in stand-by

tcmo

static electricity puts B135 SST2 in stand-by
« on: 30 Sep 2017, 05:33 pm »
If I forget to touch the metal on my rack, when I touch the power button on my B135 it shuts down with the power indicator light flashing red/green.  This can also happen when I touch the CD player (its display goes blank) and the B135 indicator flashes.  Everything works fine after they are powered-down and restarted.  Is this causing any long-term problems?  And is there any way I can ground the equipment so I do not have to remember to touch something metal before I touch the equipment?
Thank you.

srb

Re: static electricity puts B135 SST2 in stand-by
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2017, 06:04 pm »
And is there any way I can ground the equipment so I do not have to remember to touch something metal before I touch the equipment?

It's your equipment ground that is giving the static build-up on your body a better discharge path (than if it wasn't grounded).

I'm guessing that you have carpet or rugs (and low humidity?).  Besides touching something else first to discharge, I'm not sure if there's much you can do other than installing a grounded conductive ESD mat in front of the equipment, which I can understand why you may not want to in a home setting because of the look.

I don't know if the zapping has a long term accumulative effect or not, but I did blow out the display on a beautiful HTPC case in my rack with a particularly potent static discharge.

Steve

RDavidson

Re: static electricity puts B135 SST2 in stand-by
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2017, 06:42 pm »
You're likely just causing the microprocessor to freak out. I had the same thing happen with a Channel Islands DAC. Probably not a major problem, but you should try to avoid it. I suggest keeping the remote on the shelf in front of the unit when you're done listening for the day. It'll serve as a reminder for you to use it versus touching the main unit.