Choice processor and power amplifier

WillyP

Choice processor and power amplifier
« on: 4 Sep 2017, 09:07 am »
Hi all,

With a limited budget choices have to be made. My dream would be the Bryston SP3 with the Bryston 9BSST2 (or even better 9B3), but my wallet doesn’t allow this. What would give the best sound quality, assuming both options have the same costs?

1) The SP3 with a multichannel power amplifier from brand X;

2) A processor from brand Y and the Bryston 9BSST2.

For your information, I rarely listen at high sound levels and my loudspeaker have high sensitivity, so much power is not needed, good quality is. Of course X and Y have outstanding products within their price range,

Kind regards,

Willy

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: Choice processor and power amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2017, 03:07 am »
I went through that exact same problem. First question everyone is going to ask you is what do you listen to? 60% moves / 40% music? Etc. And, more specifically, what is more important to you? While I watch more TV/movies than I get to listen to music, I'm FAR more critical of my music than my movies.

The other component is speakers... what make/model are you using? Harder to drive speakers need more power. Years ago before I knew anything about audio, a dealer convinced me to buy floor model B&W 803's and promised that my ~$500 Denon pre/pro would sound "just like" a separate dedicated $2000 amp. Not even close. With that Denon built in amp, a pair of Boston Acoustic speakers I had sounded better, and that was at lower volume, like 65-75 db.

- Garrett

Raimo

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2017, 08:51 am »
Why not the SP2? Then you can afford poweramps too. I did so :thumb:. HDMI you can go directly to the Tv with, no need to go by the audio system.

WillyP

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2017, 09:37 am »
@Garrett,

A few years ago, I would have said 10% movies / 90% music but now I am retired I notice that I am watching movies more and more (Blu-ray's and DVD's). Still, just like you, I am more critical of my music than my movies. My loudspeakers use Accoton units and do not require much power, but they deserve good quality.

@Raimo

The SP2 has no HDMI inputs, so HD Audio is out of the question. I have been offered a SP-3 of five years old, barely used, but I am not sure if that is a good idea.

Kind regards,

Willy

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2017, 10:23 am »
The SP3 will scratch both the audio/music quality itch as well as the video/movie one. It does a FANTASTIC job. I knew a dealer who LOVED another Canadian brand for home theater, complete with room correction. Funny thing was, room correction made the speakers "disappear". It also made it almost impossible to tell where sound was coming from, which isn't what you want (IMO). That particular processor (for nearly the same price as the SP3) threw in the proverbial kitchen sink, but it did NOT sound as good as the SP3.

The one spot the SP3 will challenge you is setup. It just is not intuitive, and the web-based interface is clumsy. But, once you get it set up, you don't need to go back. You get to enjoy the sound for as long as you have it!

If you're buying new, I'd hold off until Bryston decides if/when/what they are going to do with their HDMI board. If you're buying used, you would have to upgrade anyway (if you want 4k pass-through).

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2017, 01:07 pm »
Hi all,

With a limited budget choices have to be made. My dream would be the Bryston SP3 with the Bryston 9BSST2 (or even better 9B3), but my wallet doesn’t allow this. What would give the best sound quality, assuming both options have the same costs?

1) The SP3 with a multichannel power amplifier from brand X;

2) A processor from brand Y and the Bryston 9BSST2.

For your information, I rarely listen at high sound levels and my loudspeaker have high sensitivity, so much power is not needed, good quality is. Of course X and Y have outstanding products within their price range,

Kind regards,

Willy

None of the above. Get the SP2 or SP3 with active speakers and skip the amps. Take a look at Neuman, Genelec, Dynaudio, Focal, Emotiva or JBL Active monitors at a website like sweetwater. I think the Bryston active speakers are more for 2 channel than home theater. Active speakers generally have better bass response than passive so monitors work fine. Maybe these near field monitors. Of course you can get bigger drivers if you have a large room or mix and match larger drivers with smaller ones:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KH80

or these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305

get 7 matching active speakers and the SP2 or SP3 and you will be very happy.

gbaby

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2017, 01:54 pm »
I have been offered a SP-3 of five years old, barely used, but I am not sure if that is a good idea.

Kind regards,

Willy

Willy, this is a good idea. Get the used SP-3.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2017, 02:51 pm »
One direction I'd look at the Marantz 8803 or 4, whatever is current with the Bryston amp.  Or, the other direction get the Bryston processor and add something like the new Parasound Halo 5-channel or one of the ATI 3000 series.

I've not used a Bryston processor, in general the higher end companies are usually behind the more mass barket in the newer technology.  As an example, for early adopters Marantz has had 4k HDMI and circuits for a while.  Not to bash, the higher quality companies can't afford mistakes. 

Also, in general, the higher end companies will lack some of the bells & whistles of the Mass brands.  I find Marantz a sweet spot between highest quality an latest features.  Marantz isn't a Bryston but it typically performs beyond it's price.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2017, 02:56 pm »
I should add that 4k isn't that big a deal, just take the signal direct to TV.  All the 4k disc players I've seen so far have at least two HDMI outs, one just audio, to go to older receivers/processors, the second video & audio for the TV.