Bryston B135 SST/2

hal jones

Re: Bryston B135 SST/2
« Reply #80 on: 1 Aug 2012, 02:30 am »
Ordered one yesterday....17" black, no phono, no dac...... :D

Informed today that delivery will be 3-4 weeks. :( :(

I know it will be worth the wait, but it's gonna be rough.

Update: add two more weeks to the tally. Just found out that it'll likely take six weeks because of a supply issue or something.

I hate waiting.  :thumbdown:

blackhawks6

« Reply #81 on: 17 Oct 2012, 04:59 am »
Hal, can you share any opinions or feedback on the B135? I have one on order. Will pair it with the BDA1 and BDP1. Only opted for phono stage as I am wary of dac technology changing too quickly. thanks tony

hal jones

« Reply #82 on: 17 Oct 2012, 08:41 pm »
I've had my unit for a few weeks now, and I'm very happy with it. My unit is the basic one without either the phono stage or the DAC.  It replaced an Anthem 225 which I was having no issues with, but wanted something with a bit more resolution. The 135 definitely is more refined than the Anthem. I'm not very good at describing the sounds I hear, but suffice it to say that I'm most happy with my B135.

I have a Moon 300D DAC and 310LP phono stage (Rega P5), Squeezebox Touch (for now), and BCD-1 and Sony ES SACD that go through the 135 and they all sound great.

blackhawks6

« Reply #83 on: 18 Oct 2012, 02:16 am »
thanks Hal. My B135 showed up today at my doorstep and will try and get in place this weekend. Thanks again!

Vipers

« Reply #84 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:40 pm »
Let us know how you get on blackhawk6, I just found out today from PMC that my B135 is on the next shipment from Bryston to the UK, I ordered a plain one in silver with blue LED's, should look really smart  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #85 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:47 pm »

james

Hicham

« Reply #86 on: 20 Oct 2012, 12:25 pm »
The Bryston B135 SST/2 graced the Sydney 2012 HiFi show in Australia.
The main system in display and demo contained the B28 SST/2 + the BP26/MPS-2 compo + BP1 + BDA-1 + BCD-1

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #87 on: 20 Oct 2012, 02:38 pm »
The Bryston B135 SST/2 graced the Sydney 2012 HiFi show in Australia.
The main system in display and demo contained the B28 SST/2 + the BP26/MPS-2 compo + BP1 + BDA-1 + BCD-1

Sounded OK?

What speakers are they?

James

PRELUDE

« Reply #88 on: 20 Oct 2012, 02:50 pm »
Sounded OK?

What speakers are they?

James
The speakers are DYNAUDIO confidence.
http://www.dynaudio.com/int/home_loudspeaker_systems/confidence/confidence_c4.php
It seems like BRYSTON goes well with all DYNAUDIO speakers.

Hicham

« Reply #89 on: 20 Oct 2012, 08:10 pm »
Sounded OK?

What speakers are they?

James

James,
The B135 SST/2 was not connected to any speakers, or source. the Amp was exhibited on the left side of the Bryston Room # 625.

Would (Brian) give it a go today(the last day of the show), and to bring in the B135 SST/2 to the center stage together with the BDP-1 & the BCD-1? we shall see if this will be the case?

But it is  Fair to say, the crowed is in fact after the Bryston show of amplification power.
The Bryston room is always full (over the last 2 days of the show). The B28 SST/2 set is delivering the expected superb sheer tight, and clean sound.

Joseph

ttsto

« Reply #90 on: 5 Nov 2012, 03:12 pm »
This is the first review of B135 SST2 that I found

Vipers

« Reply #91 on: 6 Nov 2012, 05:47 pm »
My B135 SST2 arrived today  :thumb:

Silver with blue LEd's, should look stunning, time to go and play, I'll post some pics and thoughts later.

mv038856

« Reply #92 on: 6 Nov 2012, 08:58 pm »
The speakers are DYNAUDIO confidence.
http://www.dynaudio.com/int/home_loudspeaker_systems/confidence/confidence_c4.php
It seems like BRYSTON goes well with all DYNAUDIO speakers.

Hi everybody,

I exclusively use Dynaudio speakers with my Bryston gear (or is it the other way round?)...

Although it isn't the Confidence line, it is the Audience 42 with my B-60R in the kitchen, the BM5A active speakers with my SP-1.7 in the bedroom and the Contour S line with two 6B SSTs and a 2B LP in my living room in a 7.1 configuration. For stereo it is the Focus 110A active speakers with my BP-25S Phono that make me happy. The only part I do not entrust to Dynaudio speakers is the subwoofer part... here it is Velodyne that I put my faith in... a DD15+ and four DD12 subs... 8)

And I can confirm that Bryston goes very well with Dynaudio and Dynaudio goes very well with Bryston.  :thumb:

Cheers!

Markus

Vipers

« Reply #93 on: 7 Nov 2012, 05:27 pm »
I guess this is kinda sad but here is the un-boxing of my new Bryston B135 SST2 :-)

I haven't had time to try it yet, but I've just ordered some Atlas Ascent cables to hook it all up, I have a feeling it will work brilliantly with the PMC fact8's fed with the BDA-1/BDP-1 combo, hopefully over the weekend I can give it a real workout.

Hold on, here we go -

A Box!

An Open Box!

Some documentation!

A nice plastic bag!

Now we're talking, it really is beautifully finished!

Powered with the Blue LED's Glowing, I really love the silver finish!

MMmmm, doesn't blend in very well :-)

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #94 on: 7 Nov 2012, 05:29 pm »
This is the first review of B135 SST2 that I found

...thanks, ttsto :thumb:

al.

Vipers

« Reply #95 on: 10 Nov 2012, 03:07 pm »
I sat down last night with the B135, BDP-1/BDA-1 and PMC Fact8's, what a cracking system, OK it's not exactly budget but at around £15,000 there are a lot more expensive systems out there that couldn't touch this combination, in fact I bet you'd have to spend a lot more to even get close.

I'm very familiar with the Bryston/PMC sound and this delivered that fantastic detailed and musical soundstage in buckets, with the B135 driving the Facts perfectly, you hear a lot about system synergy and obviously matching components is vitally important, for the B135 SST2 I would say this could be the perfect combination, certainly kept me captivated for several hours as I listened to track after track, actually got me into to trouble with Mrs Vipers for being so late coming home from work :roll:

I can see the B135 SST2 being another big hit for Bryston, I do feel I should have added the phono stage to my demo unit though, I take it that can be added after James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #96 on: 10 Nov 2012, 05:07 pm »
I sat down last night with the B135, BDP-1/BDA-1 and PMC Fact8's, what a cracking system, OK it's not exactly budget but at around £15,000 there are a lot more expensive systems out there that couldn't touch this combination, in fact I bet you'd have to spend a lot more to even get close.

I'm very familiar with the Bryston/PMC sound and this delivered that fantastic detailed and musical soundstage in buckets, with the B135 driving the Facts perfectly, you hear a lot about system synergy and obviously matching components is vitally important, for the B135 SST2 I would say this could be the perfect combination, certainly kept me captivated for several hours as I listened to track after track, actually got me into to trouble with Mrs Vipers for being so late coming home from work :roll:

I can see the B135 SST2 being another big hit for Bryston, I do feel I should have added the phono stage to my demo unit though, I take it that can be added after James?

Hi Paul,

Yes you can add the Phono MM or the DAC later if you wish.

james

Stu Pitt

« Reply #97 on: 10 Nov 2012, 05:50 pm »
I love the phono stage in my B60.  Very budget friendly when you compare it to external units.  If you haven't heard one, you should make it a point to do so.  It's everything Bryston is sonically, not some cheap afterthought designed to get customers to pony up a few more bucks to drive up the profit margin.

If its been improved since my '99 model, all the more reason to try it out.  All I know is my Dynavector 10x5 sounds fantastic running through my B60 RP. 

jaxwired

« Reply #98 on: 10 Nov 2012, 06:37 pm »
Love the way the B135 looks.  Stunning.  I have a question though.  Is the new B135 really more powerful than the old B100?  Seems like they are both rated for 180w into 4 ohms.  And the B100 was underrated at 100w/ch.  So does this new amp actually give you more power than the B100?

srb

« Reply #99 on: 10 Nov 2012, 06:54 pm »
I asked the same question concerning the the 2.5B SST² (vs. the 2B SST²), which is power amp section of the B135 SST².

The 2B SST² was rated at 180W at 4 ohms. The 2.5B SST², with 35% higher power at 8 ohms (135W vs. 100W) is still rated at the same 180W at 4 ohms. Was the power supply and/or heatsink capacity not increased to allow a correspondingly higher 4 ohm output?

And the reply:

At little more power supply Steve but I would rather err on the conservative side.

On a side note:  When I search the forum for "bryston", the search engine asks me if I instead meant to search for "drystone"!

Steve