BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again

NeilT

Re: BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again
« Reply #40 on: 11 Apr 2016, 02:09 pm »
Neil, HAL is selling a pair  of the   GR  (deep cup) version, shoot him a pm. 
If that doesn't work out, there  is a guy on Ebay  selling some  reg Neo3 pdr's (non deep cup),   I can send you a pair of the deep  cups if you get a reg pair, just LMK

jay

Thanks Jay and others for the feedback

Neil

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 11 Apr 2016, 08:40 pm »
If you guys can get a pair of the Neo 3 pdr's with the face plates, then I can sell you any of our kits that use those tweeters. And I have the deep back cups that you'll need for the tweeters.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #42 on: 12 Apr 2016, 02:12 am »
So Dennis was right, good news for everyone :thumb:

O.K. Danny, can't wait to see what you come with next :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 12 Apr 2016, 02:17 pm »
So Dennis was right, good news for everyone :thumb:

O.K. Danny, can't wait to see what you come with next :D

You guys really need to hear the NX-Oticas. These are a new benchmark for cost no object speakers.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #44 on: 12 Apr 2016, 04:07 pm »
You guys really need to hear the NX-Oticas. These are a new benchmark for cost no object speakers.

If the NX-Oticas sound this good (and I trust Danny that they DO) how much more do the NX-Tremes bring to the table? :D

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #45 on: 12 Apr 2016, 04:12 pm »
If the NX-Oticas sound this good (and I trust Danny that they DO) how much more do the NX-Tremes bring to the table? :D

Shhhh...  for those of us who are ordering the NX-Oticas, we don't wanna know ;)

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 12 Apr 2016, 04:22 pm »

I don't know yet. We'll see soon.

Captainhemo

« Reply #47 on: 12 Apr 2016, 05:48 pm »
I don't know yet. We'll see soon.

Should be sending a flat pack to danny soon  for the  NX-tremes

As for the Otticas,   all I can say is  WOW.... I've got about 100 hrs on mine now and  I'm   amazed everyday. Had a couple guys here yesterday,  they left   pretty  shocked 

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #48 on: 21 Apr 2016, 02:56 pm »
Latest update from PE is the BG Neo3-PDR tweeters will be in the month of July. 

Will post here if I get an update.

JP78

« Reply #49 on: 10 May 2016, 09:37 pm »
It says the Neo 8 is back in stock.

studley

« Reply #50 on: 25 May 2016, 10:59 pm »
Danny, a while back you indicated that you thought the Line Force speakers were the best you'd ever heard.  I'd be interested to hear how you think the NX-oticas compare?  ( I appreciate you probably haven't A/B'd them and would be relying on your memory, but I'd still be interested in your impressions.)
Cheers
Ian
« Last Edit: 26 May 2016, 06:07 am by studley »

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 27 May 2016, 12:34 am »
Danny, a while back you indicated that you thought the Line Force speakers were the best you'd ever heard.  I'd be interested to hear how you think the NX-oticas compare?  ( I appreciate you probably haven't A/B'd them and would be relying on your memory, but I'd still be interested in your impressions.)
Cheers
Ian

I could live with the NX-Otica's and not miss the Line Force model.

The NX-Otica does have some advantages. The tweeter plays much lower in the wave guide and it really brings detail levels to another level. Even the Neo 10's give a little bit up to the Neo 3 in speed and detail. And with the Neo 3 playing lower it means the off axis is more consistent in all directions. And while technically the M165NQ drivers don't have the speed of the Neo 10's, because they aren't having to play up very high really minimizes the difference. And the NQ woofers play lower and have a little more body and fullness. Vocals are especially rich and realistic.

And the smaller baffle size helps improve imaging. So I think the NX-Otica has a slight advantage there too.

Crossing to the open baffle servo subs in the 80Hz range rather than the 200Hz range also makes them easier to integrate. So they sound a little more connected and more like a single speaker with the NX-Otica.

Throw in the difference in cost to produce and overall performance per dollar spent and the NX-Otica looks real attractive. The cost of edging it out in a few areas comes at a pretty high price.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #52 on: 27 May 2016, 02:08 am »
Danny, now that the neo3 are more or less available again, I was reading the NX-otica thread and a question came to mind based on some of your comments.

Using what you've learned with some of the more recent neo3 based designs, do you think a redesign of the N1, N2X, or N3 would benefit from the change of the tweeter from being mounted flush with the standard mounting plate to being set into a waveguide like the wedgie and NX-otica instead?  I know efficiency numbers probably wouldn't move, but would that setup bring the advantages of improved speed, detail, and the improved off axis response (vertical and horizontal) the newer designs take advantage of?  Having baffles machined to order for kits seems to be a lot more consistently within reach these days than maybe in the past where a kit design really needed to be 100% DIY from scratch to work, which makes the idea not as far of a stretch as it may have been in the past?

I know you've set your sights on open baffle designs a long time ago and haven't much looked back, but maybe the old boxed speaker kits could share a little of the love from the new designs too?  This thought reminded me of the world-class monitor speaker thread in this circle a while back; maybe a good opportunity to raise the bar again?

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 27 May 2016, 02:25 am »
Danny, now that the neo3 are more or less available again, I was reading the NX-otica thread and a question came to mind based on some of your comments.

Using what you've learned with some of the more recent neo3 based designs, do you think a redesign of the N1, N2X, or N3 would benefit from the change of the tweeter from being mounted flush with the standard mounting plate to being set into a waveguide like the wedgie and NX-otica instead?  I know efficiency numbers probably wouldn't move, but would that setup bring the advantages of improved speed, detail, and the improved off axis response (vertical and horizontal) the newer designs take advantage of?  Having baffles machined to order for kits seems to be a lot more consistently within reach these days than maybe in the past where a kit design really needed to be 100% DIY from scratch to work, which makes the idea not as far of a stretch as it may have been in the past?

I know you've set your sights on open baffle designs a long time ago and haven't much looked back, but maybe the old boxed speaker kits could share a little of the love from the new designs too?  This thought reminded me of the world-class monitor speaker thread in this circle a while back; maybe a good opportunity to raise the bar again?

Good thinking, but I am way ahead of you my friend. Not only am I working on a new improved planar magnetic tweeter to replace the Neo 3 but I am working on a wave guide for it as well. It is 1.5" deep. In fact I have already measured and tested the first version that was printed off with a 3D printer. New versions are being made with revisions and the second one will be here tomorrow (I think).

So new and improved versions of old models are and have been in my mind.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #54 on: 27 May 2016, 02:57 am »
So, does that mean there might also be a NQ-esque version of the 8 and 16-ohm non-OB M165X to go with the new tweeters somewhere in the pipeline?  :green:

DeeJayBump

« Reply #55 on: 27 May 2016, 04:04 am »

The cost of edging it out in a few areas comes at a pretty high price.

Danny-

In what areas does the Line Force outperform the NX-Otica? And do you have any feel for whether or not the NX-Treme might reduce or eliminate those deficiencies versus the Line Force?

Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #56 on: 27 May 2016, 04:29 am »
So, does that mean there might also be a NQ-esque version of the 8 and 16-ohm non-OB M165X to go with the new tweeters somewhere in the pipeline?  :green:

I think so.

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 27 May 2016, 04:33 am »
Danny-

In what areas does the Line Force outperform the NX-Otica? And do you have any feel for whether or not the NX-Treme might reduce or eliminate those deficiencies versus the Line Force?

Thanks.

Effortless dynamics and high sensitivity is where the Line Force really excelled. But it was exceptional in all areas.

I think the NX-Treme might very well bridge the gap a bit.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #58 on: 27 May 2016, 04:43 am »
Thanks, Danny.

Sounds like the NX-Otica and NX-Treme--coupled with OB servos, of course--are both outstanding, quite probably unbeatable options at somewhat "sane" prices.  :D

studley

« Reply #59 on: 27 May 2016, 09:01 am »
Thanks for the reply Danny and good to hear that the Neo 3 replacement is progressing nicely.  That does prompt a further thought.  I'm wondering whether you could make a lower priced line array speaker to fully rival the Line Force by using a line of your forthcoming planar tweeters in their waveguides alongside a line of say 8 of the M165NQ drivers?