A new product: Synchro-Mesh reclocker

serengetiplains

Re: A new product: Synchro-Mesh reclocker
« Reply #40 on: 23 Mar 2012, 05:27 pm »
Rclark, it's a dejitterer.  If your source outputs less jitter than the SM, the SM will degrade the sound.  If it outputs more, the SM will improve the sound regardless what it feeds.  Call the SM almost a Pace-Car.

audioengr

« Reply #41 on: 23 Mar 2012, 05:32 pm »
I'm trying to understand what this does. If I add it to my cdp, and it's currently not a transport, but one day I'll buy a new dac, what does this device do for me and is it a $600 upgrade? Worth it I mean? That's a lot for a tertiary inline device.

It reduces jitter for any digital 2-channel music source device, such as CD Transport, Apple TV, Sonos, music servers etc..  Reducing this jitter improves imaging, bass, focus, soundstage and slam.

The Master Clock jitter in these source devices is actually more important than the quality of the DAC. You can buy the most expensive DAC in the world and it will still not sound great with your CD transport.  The Synchro-Mesh makes any digital source sound great with ANY DAC.

Steve N.

serengetiplains

« Reply #42 on: 23 Mar 2012, 05:34 pm »
The sound is fantastically good through the SM. 

Rclark

« Reply #43 on: 23 Mar 2012, 05:51 pm »
Does sound interesting. And so clearly must be put between a dac and player of choice. I'll keep this on my radar. Thanks!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 23 Mar 2012, 06:07 pm »
You can buy the most expensive DAC in the world and it will still not sound great with your CD transport. 

Steve N.
There is not always a direct correlation with cost/performance or any product for that matter.  :duh:

serengetiplains

« Reply #45 on: 23 Mar 2012, 06:12 pm »
Thanks for the absolutism, JT.

audioengr

« Reply #46 on: 23 Mar 2012, 06:50 pm »
There is not always a direct correlation with cost/performance or any product for that matter.  :duh:

That is certainly true, although not my point.  My point is that the clock is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING in digital audio.  Improve that and even some cheap Chinese DACs can sound like megabuck DACs.

I'm confident that the MH would probably match or beat the Weiss 202 with a low enough jitter input.  Its already been demonstrated with the VDAC, W4S and BelCanto 3.5.

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2012, 08:05 pm by audioengr »

Rclark

« Reply #47 on: 23 Mar 2012, 07:46 pm »
Huh. What do you think it would do for an Emotiva Erc-2 as transport? Are you familiar with the clock devices in that?

audioengr

« Reply #48 on: 23 Mar 2012, 08:04 pm »
Huh. What do you think it would do for an Emotiva Erc-2 as transport? Are you familiar with the clock devices in that?

No, I'm not familiar.  Its hard to predict.  You can always try one.  It will have money-back guarantee. You pay shipping and fees.

Steve N.

Rclark

« Reply #49 on: 23 Mar 2012, 08:30 pm »
Is there no way to know for sure? Is that what most people do, just try it and see? What's the typical result? What's a bad result like?What if I looked up the clock device in my player, could you tell from that?

audioengr

« Reply #50 on: 24 Mar 2012, 02:31 am »
Is there no way to know for sure? Is that what most people do, just try it and see? What's the typical result? What's a bad result like?What if I looked up the clock device in my player, could you tell from that?

There is no way to know without listening to its effect.

Even if you could look up the clock in your CD transport, which I doubt, this would not tell you much.  The internal system jitter depends on the power supplies inside and the design and implementation.  You can have the most expensive clock on the planet in there and still end-up with high relative jitter if the rest of the circuit design and the PC board and cables are compromised.

I modded about 10 different transports to add low-jitter clocks and other circuit and power improvements for nearly 10 years, so I have seen a lot of designs.  The vast majority of these were poorly designed with resulting high jitter, even from large "respected" companies.

All aspects of this design must be optimum to achieve low jitter at a system level.

Steve N.

Rclark

« Reply #51 on: 24 Mar 2012, 06:29 am »
Huh, very interesting. This is an aspect of system building I really hadn't seen yet. I have several steps to complete first but I will sure keep this in mind.

Rclark

« Reply #52 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:21 am »
Hey your article on jitter was excellent! Your description of jitter as like an fm modulation was very clear, and makes understandable why it's such a complex problem.

Your descriptions of the different sources of jitter finally made clear to me why cd players can vary so much in price. It's all about lowering jitter.

Anyway, neat. I am confused by your product range, however, in your forum references are made to products I don't see on your site, and I don't understand at all what all the upgrade options do.

Still, tentatively interested in trying your synchromesh with an inexpensive dac. Heck, I sold my XDA-1 but I might just go ahead and buy another one, and pair it with your synchro mesh.

I have new amps, subs, and other products lined up in the que first, but I'm interested.

Do you have any other articles I might read?

Thanks again.

audioengr

« Reply #53 on: 29 Mar 2012, 05:24 pm »
Hey your article on jitter was excellent! Your description of jitter as like an fm modulation was very clear, and makes understandable why it's such a complex problem.

Your descriptions of the different sources of jitter finally made clear to me why cd players can vary so much in price. It's all about lowering jitter.

Anyway, neat. I am confused by your product range, however, in your forum references are made to products I don't see on your site, and I don't understand at all what all the upgrade options do.

Still, tentatively interested in trying your synchromesh with an inexpensive dac. Heck, I sold my XDA-1 but I might just go ahead and buy another one, and pair it with your synchro mesh.

I have new amps, subs, and other products lined up in the que first, but I'm interested.

Do you have any other articles I might read?

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, the site is waiting on Overdrive chassis changes and subsequent professional photos for an update.  Lots of vendors involved, including metal finishing, machine shops and anodizing companies.  Until those photos are taken, I can only update verbage on the website, and I cannot put Synchro-Mesh out there without pro photos.

Here are some other things to read:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/technical-papers/

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/

Steve N.

Rclark

« Reply #54 on: 30 Mar 2012, 04:48 am »
Awesome, thank you sir.

audioengr

« Reply #55 on: 3 May 2012, 06:22 pm »
Synchro-Mesh assembled boards are finally in, so they will start shipping next week.

Steve N.

Rclark

« Reply #56 on: 4 May 2012, 05:44 am »

Still envisioning trying this in my system. It will be some time before I pick another dac, however. Doing preamp, and new amps first.

stew

« Reply #57 on: 4 May 2012, 06:21 am »
Synchro-Mesh assembled boards are finally in, so they will start shipping next week.

Steve N.

Sweet!

audioengr

« Reply #58 on: 10 May 2012, 05:10 pm »
First Synchro-Mesh review is out:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/empirical4/1.html

Nice :thumb:

dr.z

« Reply #59 on: 1 Jul 2012, 04:46 am »
Hi Steve,

24/96 out will be a far more flexible unit for myself; but is there much drop in SQ for Redbook vs 24/44.1? Many Thanks.

Cheers,
Charles T.