My experience with TWL

gregcss

My experience with TWL
« on: 13 Feb 2016, 03:53 pm »
My system sounded great and wanted to see if I could get anything else out of it without replacing the major components. I contacted Pete of TWL and ended up with his American Speaker Cables. I tested those against the existing cables and thought that the music sounded a bit more detailed around the edges. I was quite happy with them. A couple weeks later I got TWL spirit interconnects and spirit 75 digital interconnect. The sound improved even more. I was not the person in the camp fully convinced that cables make difference nor in the camp that they make no difference. Well, after my experience with TWL I am certain (for me) that cables do have an impact. I would describe TWL cables best by saying it's not what they do, but what they dont do. I dont have much high end cable experience, but for me and TWL the music just flows as is without alteration by the cable. I highly recommend checking out TWL.  :thumb:

Pete was awesome to work with. I value quality customer service. Thanks Pete.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: My experience with TWL
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2016, 05:02 pm »
 :thumb:

I could not agree more with what you said, Greg.

I have not yet tried the spirit 75 digital interconnects though I do have 2 pairs of his regular RCA interconnects. I just this week bought a TWL HP digital PC from a fellow AC member. I'm really looking forward to listening to it.

Good work, Pete!

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2016, 03:36 pm »
Another convert to the "cables matter" camp, but with TWL and Pete you don't have to break the bank to get excellent sound. Value and quality and pride of ownership is what they deliver along with excellent customer service from a true gentleman who loves this hobby and wants to share what he has found.

Audioclyde

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2016, 04:39 pm »
I'll echo my extreme satisfaction with Pete's cables and with Pete. I run a full loom of his power cords, and a few months ago switched over to his speaker cables. Not only am I very happy with their sound, but amazingly (to me at least), I gained a few db's of loudness with his speaker cables!  Pete advised me that I'm not the only one to experience this. When you primarily run 300B SET amps as I do, it is a very welcome bonus. His spkr cables replaced much more expensive brands in my setup and I much prefer the sound of the TRLs.

I haven't tried his interconnects, only because I have a mix of much more expensive ICs that I'm happy with....but someday I'll likely try the ICs as well.

Pete is one of a few manufactures that I deal with (Dave Elledge of PI Audio is another) that are absolutely fantastic to do business with!

Randy

tmazz

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2016, 08:35 pm »
I have played with tons of power cords over my 3 decades in this hobby, but once I listened to TWL I was done looking. I have them all over my system now, (even on units that have captive cords by using an adapter) and things have never sounded better.It amazes me how they have made every single piece I have put them on sound more natural and relaxed, Even my VPI SDS. I still can't fathom how a piece of gear whose entire purpose is to regenerate a perfect sine wave and isolate  the turntable motor from A/C power imperfections can me made to sound better by changing the power cord, but it does! If you are concerned enough about the quality of your TT sound that you to spent over $1K on an SDS, you owe it to yourself to hear what Pete's power cord can do for that setup. Just do it, you won't be sorry.

KLH007

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2016, 10:04 pm »
Pete's ability to help you choose the correct cable is nearly unmatched in the industry, and his customer service is second to none. I'm using 2 PCs and speaker cables, maybe soon I'll try the ICs for a complete TWL loom, very satisfied.

Joe Frances

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2016, 02:06 am »
So far, I only have the power cords, but will go all TWL when I have new speakers and other gear.  What I experienced when I installed the power cords was an immediate increase in volume in my system; I had to turn the volume down to my standard listening levels.  Also there was a greater vividness and color and punch.  Nothing too aggressive; actually I hate aggressive audio, just more "there there".  My old cords (can't really remember what they are, they made have been the ones that came with the Copeland equipment) was nice and smooth, a bit more laid back, if not dull compared to the TWL.  I can't wait to be all TWL.

Triode Pete

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2016, 08:53 pm »
So far, I only have the power cords, but will go all TWL when I have new speakers and other gear.  What I experienced when I installed the power cords was an immediate increase in volume in my system; I had to turn the volume down to my standard listening levels.  Also there was a greater vividness and color and punch.  Nothing too aggressive; actually I hate aggressive audio, just more "there there".  My old cords (can't really remember what they are, they made have been the ones that came with the Copeland equipment) was nice and smooth, a bit more laid back, if not dull compared to the TWL.  I can't wait to be all TWL.

Hey Joe,
Thanks! What you are hearing is not an increase in volume, but a decrease in overall noise in your system... When things get quieter, it appears that the volume or gain is increasing... Cool!

This was also experienced on my Speaker Cables by reviewer Joel Chevasus from 6moons, when he compared my speaker cables to a VERY EXPENSIVE (6-7 times MORE EXPENSIVE) pair.

His direct quote... "But the American Speaker Cable also added a lot of weight to piano recordings together with a superb richness of tone. On Chick Corea's last outing Solo Piano Portraits, the sound had more impact and authority in the lowest octaves. Across the full period I passed with the Lawrence Audio Double Bass and TWL American speaker cables, I took a lot of pleasure from hearing many solo piano recordings. Another big difference between the High Fidelity Cable speaker wires and TWL American speaker cable regardless of speaker used were the different SPL they produced. The High Fidelity Cables tended to lower the volume whilst the TWL speaker cables sounded a bit louder than average. There was a significant difference in sound efficiency between the two. I  measured a bit more than a 5dB offset at about  3.5 meters from the speakers. I also observed some particular synergies using the speaker wire with the matching power cords which led to a slight improvement in overall resolution and depth. The choice of interconnects in my opinion was more a question of fine tuning according to one’s own system whereby completing a full TWL loom might lead in different directions. It will depend on interactions and expectations. As far as I was concerned, I achieved complete satisfaction using the TWL interconnects between the amp and preamp and my Grimm TPM interconnects between source and preamp."

Adding TWL speaker cables & interconnects has a cumulative effect (Sound quality improves)...

Enjoy,
Pete