12v Trigger - Advantages and Disadvantages

JohnnyB

12v Trigger - Advantages and Disadvantages
« on: 5 Mar 2010, 01:00 pm »
I have never used this system.

I would appreciate your feedback on using this 'remote start/stop' system.

Thanks, JohnnyB

95Dyna

Re: 12v Trigger - Advantages and Disadvantages
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2010, 01:06 pm »
Hi Johnny,

I don't use it choosing to avoid the complication of more wires.  I'm strictly 2 channel audio so its no big deal to switch on/off a pair of amps, pre and a source.  The 12 V system wouldn't save me much in this application.

Bill

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2010, 01:33 pm »
Bryston's remote on/off 12v switch is a great convenience for me since I use a several amps specially for TV watching.  My wife will simply turn on the processor.  If you have it and your amps are not too far away from your processor, It would be a great convenience.  Use it!  It does not degrade the sound. 

ec

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2010, 04:16 pm »
Like Levi, I also have many amps (and other devices, projectors etc) to power on and this is very convenient.  I also have my SP 1.7 programmed so when I listen to 2 ch - it turns off the surround amps.  Very convenient.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2010, 08:41 pm »
Will the trigger function turn on the power amplifiers after the pre-amplifier on power up, and of course, turn the power amplifiers off before the pre-amplifier is shut off :scratch:

Be well...

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2010, 10:05 pm »
The preamp turns on first and shuts down at the same time.  The trigger function does not induce a thump if that is what you are concerned.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2010, 10:12 pm »
the 12v trigger is a nice option. i prefer the individual turn on/off. but i don't think that there is really a disadvantage if the 12v is engaged...

al.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2010, 10:17 pm »
The preamp turns on first and shuts down at the same time.  The trigger function does not induce a thump if that is what you are concerned.

Thanks Levi - that was exactly my concern :D

Be well...

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2010, 11:16 pm »
Like Levi, I also use the 12v dc trigger wiring off my processor to my 2 amps. Very handy in turning on and off 3 main system components with 1 button of my processor.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

whanafi

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2010, 06:05 pm »
Where do you get the plugs to fit into the trigger socket?  I thought they would come with the equipment, but apparently not.

Cheers,
Waleed.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2010, 06:34 pm »
Where do you get the plugs to fit into the trigger socket?  I thought they would come with the equipment, but apparently not.

Cheers,
Waleed.

I went to Radio Shack and got the miniplug connections that fit my processor. Because I only had 1 12vdc outlet on my processor, I needed a 1 into 2 splitter connector cable and 2 12" miniplug cables for my amps. My amps are left on all the time and the processor's trigger takes care of the rest. These triggers are good for connection to all gear that would usually get fired up each and every time you fire up your system, if indeed the gear has a 12vdc connection available.

Cheers,
Robin

srb

« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2010, 06:39 pm »
Most 12V trigger jacks are 1/8" / 3.5mm mono 2-conductor phone plugs.  There was mention of a stereo 3-conductor plug used on a McIntosh amplifier, though I'm not sure why that would be.

Steve

Fullvolume

« Reply #12 on: 7 Mar 2010, 07:30 pm »
I used to love the trigger on other gear I owned with the 1/8 plug.
The Bryston 'trigger connector' is not listed on the website for purchase....how does one get one?

srb

« Reply #13 on: 7 Mar 2010, 07:53 pm »
Radio Shack has a 6 ft. 1/8" mono to 1/8" mono cable, although you might be hard pressed to find it on their website, as they have one of the worst product search engines in the industry.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102950&cp=2032058.2032228.2032251&parentPage=family

Steve

ec

« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:29 am »
On the SP 1.7 and SST amps, the triggers are via screw down terminals on stripped bare.  The big benefit is that you can use pretty much any wire and cut to the length you want.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:34 am »
Radio Shack has a 6 ft. 1/8" mono to 1/8" mono cable, although you might be hard pressed to find it on their website, as they have one of the worst product search engines in the industry.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102950&cp=2032058.2032228.2032251&parentPage=family

Steve

That's why I went directly to the store.  :lol:

JohnnyB

« Reply #16 on: 8 Mar 2010, 09:42 am »
What gauge wire is used on the terminals?

quietdragon

« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2010, 06:19 pm »
What gauge wire is used on the terminals?

The trigger circuit should only draw a couple of mA, so you can pretty much use any gauge that you have handy.

For example, my 14B SST manual says that it will draw no more 2mA on the trigger when active -- and presumably that's at 12V. Correspondingly running the trigger circuit at 4V should draw no more than 0.7mA.

Tony1

« Reply #18 on: 11 Mar 2010, 07:09 am »
I want to be able to turn on my SP1.7 that will then turn on the 9bSST.  Does anyone have a pic of how the connections to both should look? I read the manual for both but still confused as it's not just a plug and I don't want to damage the units.  If I could get a visual it will help me understand how to do it. 

Thanks,

Tony

brucek

« Reply #19 on: 11 Mar 2010, 06:46 pm »
I want to be able to turn on my SP1.7 that will then turn on the 9bSST.  Does anyone have a pic of how the connections to both should look? I read the manual for both but still confused as it's not just a plug and I don't want to damage the units.  If I could get a visual it will help me understand how to do it. 

There's really not much to it.

Use any type of stranded wire you like (lampcord wire, hookup wire, etc) and strip the insulation back about a 1/4".

Here's an example of the wire ready to be inserted in the square holes of the terminal block.

Use a small screwdriver to lossen the screws on the SP1.7 terminal block above each square hole. You'll want to use the "C" and the "ON/OFF" terminals.

Push the wire into the square holes and tighten the screws. Once complete, be sure to tug on each wire a bit to be sure it's snug.

Here's an example of the wire when it's installed.

Do the same on your 9BSST using the "IN" terminals. The polarity doesn't matter since it accepts AC or DC.

Set the 9BSST POWER UP switch to LOCAL, and put the EXTERNAL TURN-ON switch in REMOTE.

Leave the front power switch of the 9BSST turned on, and now the SP1.7 will control the 9BST on/off.

brucek