Speaker Outriggers by Soundocity

TheChairGuy

Speaker Outriggers by Soundocity
« on: 18 Sep 2010, 03:29 pm »
I'll spoil the surprise early - these are terrific add-on's - particularly for thin, tippy floorstanders on carpeted surfaces :thumb:

www.soundocity.com

My complete thoughts coming...but, I was excited enough by the improvements in the first 30 minutes to post this topic as I don't remember :dunno: seeing a review on these all the years here at AC (or near anywhere else), yet stabilization of speakers is a profoundly important thing to get right for maximum fidelity.

John

mfsoa

Re: Speaker Outriggers by Soundocity
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2010, 03:40 pm »
I've been using them on my Von Schweikert VR4JRs for a few months now. No doubt lateral stability has improved greatly, yet at the  same time the fore and aft stability must be compromised a bit - replacing the spikes directly into the carpeted floor w. the outrigger bars has to add just a bit of flex that wasn't there before. Also, on my speakers, the studs in the speaker protrude a tiny bit from the base, so the bar doesn't actually touch the speaker, so I may not be getting the most from the outriggers..

So, in my app, I like the enhanced lateral stability yet wonder if I'm maybe losing that last bit of SQ.  (Or maybe the SQ has gone up w/ the outriggers, maybe offering a bit of isolation from the floor, and I won't find this out till I go back to the original spikes).

Definitely a great product that does it's job well.

-Mike

kgturner

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2010, 03:51 pm »
I had a pair of custom X-wing plinths made for my dB99's and they are awesome! A little pricier than the Soundocity offerings, but what custom job isn't? I not sure if Soundocity does custom work anymore. I bought my plinths from Oregon DV, but I think they are affiliated with Soundocity.

Kevin T

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2010, 05:28 pm »
I had a pair of custom X-wing plinths made for my dB99's and they are awesome! A little pricier than the Soundocity offerings, but what custom job isn't? I not sure if Soundocity does custom work anymore. I bought my plinths from Oregon DV, but I think they are affiliated with Soundocity.

Yeah, they are one in the same, Kevin...there's a link from Soundocity.com site to Oregon DV/Brass & Granite Audio.

John

tnewell

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2010, 06:09 pm »
I have been using a pair under my DALI MS5's for a couple of years.  Check out my gallery for pics.  Speakers are rock solid stable resulting in tighter bass.  They look great too.

Tom

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2010, 01:55 pm »
I did a quick online price out of the same thing DIY and parts alone come pretty close to what they are asking for.  But that led me to another question, they say priced "per pair".  Is that for two speakers, which is four bars, or do you have to buy 2 "pairs" for a stereo set of speakers?  Sort of does a make or break with DIY vs buying their product.  I've had their site bookmarked for a couple of years now and never pulled the trigger, maybe it's time, thanks for the review.

WG

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2010, 02:21 pm »
I am very pleased with these and the communication and service from the company as well.  I am using with Audio Artistry Beethoven panels.  One speaker is on Saltillo Tile and the other on carpet with two different levels.  The tilt orientation  back to front was an issue for each speaker.  Paul responded quickly and thoroughly to my questions on spike heights and achievable height differences and helped me when I inadvertently ordered an incorrect set.  I also use some of Herbie's offerings on each speaker for the rear to help me get the steeper angles I needed.

Will

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2010, 02:51 pm »
I did a quick online price out of the same thing DIY and parts alone come pretty close to what they are asking for.  But that led me to another question, they say priced "per pair".  Is that for two speakers, which is four bars, or do you have to buy 2 "pairs" for a stereo set of speakers?  Sort of does a make or break with DIY vs buying their product.  I've had their site bookmarked for a couple of years now and never pulled the trigger, maybe it's time, thanks for the review.

A 'pair' means enough to put under 1 speaker.  So, for stereo, you need 2 pairs :| 

It's not quite the deal from a DIY point of view - as my 8" wide Lineaums required 2 pair or $121 x 2 + $14 shipping = $256.00.  I bought the rounded ends with 1.5" (black) brass spikes, model P/N SBN7-RE1.5

Considering the speakers were a Craigslist pickup a few years ago for $200 (+ $150 in DIY upgrade parts and materials) ...it seems a bit ludicrous....except when you factor in the benefit these speaker outriggers provide on an absolute basis.

My speakers are on what I'd describe as medium pile....and already had 1" brass spikes under them.  But, it simply was not long enough to stabilize them.  With two (often wrestling) male cats and a (very active) 6 yo in the house...stabilization with the Speaker Outriggers simultaneously improved sonics and improved safety. 

Ain't no way these speakers are being knocked over with a normal, playful bump now :thumb:

You can hear the benefit of a better stabilized speaker even on (crappy) background FM.  There's an essential rightness to the sound that wasn't there previously. Bass is extended and now has resolve (ie, you can hear what is going on at whatever lowest level of bass your speaker is capable of now) and sound the mids are cleaner.  I'd think the treble range is likely directly less affected by better stabilization than bass and mids...but with the other ranges cleaner and tighter, the tweeter integrates cleaner with them. 

The effect has been something like moving to a single driver speaker now...except with the benefit of extended treble (which, for me, is where the excitement in music lives :singing:) in the mix.

btw, the powder coat finish on the product is exemplary.  It is thick and probably lends itself to a high level of scratch resistance.

Each leg features and externally mounted knob with spring tension that allows for 5 degree angle between front and rear. A slightly greater range probably would be useful for many...but if need be, one could by the 2.25" spikes and put them in the front if greater rake is required for your listening pleasure.

John

decal

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2010, 04:48 pm »
I installed a set on my Tyler Acoustics 7U speakers.I can't say they changed the SQ but with the spikes outboard of the speaker,they are much more stable,which was what I bought them for.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2010, 05:06 pm »
I used a set of the Soundocity outriggers on my Meadowlark Audio Kestrel IIs. One of the wooden plinths got cracked so I had to do something. Can't say they improved the sound of the Kestrels but the speaker's stability was much improved with the outriggers. They also looked much better imo.
If you post your pictures anywhere online they may end up in the Soundocity gsllery on their web site.
I also tried a pair of DIY outriggers for my standard Kestrels. My DIYs worked perfectly but added nothing to the look of the speakers.