Accuton C79 or Scanspeak 12M/4631

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Accuton C79 or Scanspeak 12M/4631
« on: 18 Jun 2008, 12:48 pm »
My question is which of these mid woofers woudl you recommend?  I'm going to use the Raven R1 tweeter but am having a difficult time deciding on which mid.  So, it will be the Scanspeak 12M/4631-G00, or 15M or the Accuton C79. 

keep in mind this will be used with the Raven R1 tweeter.

I appreciate all your help with my previous questions.

Thanks,
Jason

JoshK

Re: Accuton C79 or Scanspeak 12M/4631
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2008, 02:38 pm »
That is like asking which painter is better, Monet or Van Gough?  People have their own preferences.  The Accuton as some people have mentioned is not as smooth in FR on axis without some xo tricks, the SS is.  The SS doesn't have a break up to contend with that is as pronounced as the Accuton.  The Accuton has extraordinarily low non-linear distortion. 

You will find enthusiastic proponents of both.  Do you like the sound of well implemented metal drivers or do you prefer paper cone drivers?  That is probably your best bet at finding the answer.  You could get away with low order crossovers more readily with the SS mid, although it could be done with the Accuton too but with higher parts count (xo slope plus resonance traps). 

Pick your poison. 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2008, 03:17 pm »
I've worked with both ... as I said in your other thread I just don't care for the C79, it just doesn't have any balls.  It's a critical listening midrange for people who are primarily concerned with fleshing out detail at low to mid volumes.  Me, I like to blast music sometimes ... if it can't also get obnoxiously loud while still staying clear and composed, it's not for me. 

The C79 is like the hubble telescope watching a concert, sure you see all the fine details but you're still stuck in a lab with no emotional connection.  The 12m puts you in the front row of the mosh pit, sure some detail might get lost but you remember the experience a lot more.

The C79 is also a lot more difficult to implement properly, and it's a pain to router a cutout for  :wink:

If you want more detail than the 12m but still keep the balls and that emotional connection, checkout the Seas W15CH or CY.  If you want to try Accuton, maybe one of the larger cone drivers would be a more emotional midrange thanks to moving more air, but I haven't worked with any others than the C79.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2008, 04:17 pm »
thanks for the replys.  It all makes some sense to me.  I'm a long time electrostat person who has never (when I was 10) owned a pair of "box" speakers.  So I really don't know the sound that I prefer from drivers.  I prefer stats so which ever of these drivers sounds like the "warmth" of them is probably what I would go for.

Jason

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2008, 04:30 pm »
I would say that the Accutons are going to sound more like electrostats due to their lower distortion.

With that said, the Revelators will offer you another way to listen to your music.  Best of both worlds type of thing.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2008, 04:39 pm »
Honestly the first driver I'd think to pair with a Raven R1 is AudioTechnology.  Per is familiar with the Raven tweeters, I'd just write him - tell him about your project, and he can custom build a pair of drivers for you.  They're pricey, but not much more than the other drivers we're talking about.

http://www.audiotechnology.dk/iz.asp?id=4|a|130|||

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2008, 04:41 pm »
TurboFC3S,

I couldn't agree more.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2008, 04:44 pm »
TurboFC3S,

I couldn't agree more.

:thumb:

With the R1 and an AT mid as the top half, you're looking at 91-92db sensitive easy AFTER crossover eq'ing, even if you do baffle step with the mid it's possible.  Choosing woofers that can match that will be another challenge.