ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!

modwright

Re: ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!
« Reply #60 on: 21 Jun 2011, 05:19 pm »
It is 1UF-400V MWI metalized oil-impgregnated poly (x4 -for balanced outputs) and is after the gain/buffer stage.

Thanks,

Dan

dchan88

« Reply #61 on: 21 Jun 2011, 06:53 pm »
What could be the possible effect if I replace the 1UF capacitor with 4.7UF capacitor? Anything negative?

modwright

« Reply #62 on: 22 Jun 2011, 10:13 am »
If it will FIT, there is no negative.  Space is VERY tight inside the unit and all four of our 1uf MWI caps are board-mounted on a custom PCB.

Thanks,

Dan

roadkingraw

« Reply #63 on: 22 Jun 2011, 09:12 pm »
why must people mess with perfection?   :nono:

dchan88

« Reply #64 on: 23 Jun 2011, 03:09 pm »
I am curious because from the picture of the XA5400 mods, I can see it is using the bigger capacitors.

modwright

« Reply #65 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:18 pm »
The Sony does use larger capacitors as there was more room.

We have measured and tested the Oppo and believe me, the bass response DOES NOT suffer.  In fact, it has deeper and tighter bass than the Sony in head-head comparisons.

This is with our preamp with 50K input impedance.

Thanks,

Dan

Tops

« Reply #66 on: 17 Aug 2011, 03:52 pm »
For a while I have been looking at a Fantastic CDP/DAC, CAS/DAC solution. Some of the system being tracked was the EAT Acute III, AMR 777, PD MPS-5 (Kidding - too expensive), etc. I also looked at
the Oppo BDP-95 . As I could not fully appreciate the specs I assumed that it would not work as a DAC for CAS; hence dropped this.
Then I read that you were already modifying the BDP-95 and my lips started smacking.

Kindly confirm if the modification make any changes to the lack of above CAS/DAC interface, or was I wrong - this was already stock option. work like a DAC.

if so either way the ModWright modification looks like one helleva strong contender.
Thanks

modwright

« Reply #67 on: 21 Aug 2011, 08:18 pm »
Hi, the tube modified Oppo 95 is a fantastic player and we have made QUITE a few people VERY happy with it.

The stock unit will allow for USB or eSATA input from an external storage device, but just not from a computer.  Our mods do not change this.

Thanks,

Dan

howardize

« Reply #68 on: 22 Aug 2011, 03:37 am »
How about a mod that would let you put a SACD or any CD or DVD in and send it to your hard drive wirelessly ?

modwright

« Reply #69 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:04 am »
That would indeed be a trick feat!  First of all, there is the SACD copyright issues to deal with.  Secondly, I am not sure what wireless format would allow you to transmit data of such bandwidth.  Not saying that it can't be done, but I am not an expert in wireless data transmission.

Thanks,

Dan

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #70 on: 4 Sep 2011, 11:20 pm »
Dan, can you (and/or someone else who has the modded player) describe the sound of the *solid-state* modded Oppo 95 vs. the stock?

I am still trying to decide between tube & solid-state mods but, my impression thus far is that the 95 is sooo good stock that the SS mods might be "enough" for me.

Thanks!

modwright

« Reply #71 on: 5 Sep 2011, 03:55 am »
They offer a very nice improvement in the sound.  There is less fatigue and a broader soundstage.

We have also had EXCELLENT results installing the Bybee rails in the DAC supplies in these units ($225 for bybee rail, installed).

The tube mod IS better, but the 2CH SS mod with DAC bybee rail installed is also a VERY nice upgrade.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Dan

NutBuster

« Reply #72 on: 5 Sep 2011, 07:29 pm »
They offer a very nice improvement in the sound.  There is less fatigue and a broader soundstage.

We have also had EXCELLENT results installing the Bybee rails in the DAC supplies in these units ($225 for bybee rail, installed).

The tube mod IS better, but the 2CH SS mod with DAC bybee rail installed is also a VERY nice upgrade.

By "EXCELLENT results" what do you mean?
And is that w/a already moded unit or a unit w/no other mods?

I'm not sure if your saying the Bybee mod is included in the price of SS Mod (or not).
Is the Bybee mod included in the tube mod (price)?

modwright

« Reply #73 on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:41 pm »
When I refer to the imrpovemetns of the Bybee rail mod, I am speaking IN ADDITION to standard mods.  It is not included in tube mods for SS mods.  It is something that I have only fairly recently had the opportunity to audition and determine the sonic benefits.

At RMAF, I will be doing A/B demo's of stock Oppo 95 and tube 95.  The SS mod 95 will be used in the Fritz speaker room.  I have never done a stock vs. modified A/B  :duh: and it is about time!

I also will have a full representation of our line, so will be able to do other product comparisons.  These 'shows' wil be scheduled throughout RMAF and times displayed on the door.

Thanks,

Dan

NutBuster

« Reply #74 on: 6 Sep 2011, 06:09 pm »
The guy not only talks the walk, he walks the walk!

Dan,
Thanks for being here.
Thanks for answering my post.
And thanks for mod'ing the 95 (w/tubes no less!).

Wish I could be there at RM; maybe I'll send my Denver (Broncos fan, duh!) GF.
Have a GREAT show!

[no reply required]

NutBuster

« Reply #75 on: 6 Sep 2011, 06:12 pm »
Tube Rolling Q:
Dan,

Any 5AR4 and 6SN7 tubes too stay away from; because of size, fit, etc?

modwright

« Reply #76 on: 7 Sep 2011, 12:49 am »
Thanks!  I try to indeed walk the walk!

Most 6SN7 and 5AR4/GZ34 variants will fit in the LS 100 and in our modified Oppo 95 and Sony XA-5400Es.

Once you get into some of the other rectifier variants, such as 274B, 5U4G, 5V4G, there CAN be some design issues that need to be considered.

Thanks,

Dan

NutBuster

« Reply #77 on: 7 Sep 2011, 04:20 pm »

Most 6SN7 and 5AR4/GZ34 variants will fit in the LS 100 and in our modified Oppo 95 and Sony XA-5400Es.

Once you get into some of the other rectifier variants, such as 274B, 5U4G, 5V4G, there CAN be some design issues that need to be considered.

[no reply required]

That's GOOD! Cause I've already purchased two pr of NOS 6SN7's!!
Jumping the gun a bit, just excieted, as the last time I had values in the system was '98..
Miss the sweetness!!!

[no reply required]

NutBuster

« Reply #78 on: 13 Sep 2011, 07:28 pm »
Dan,

The photo of the 95 tube mod has a pair of N.O.S.:
JAN CKR (Ken-Rad) 6SN7GT (are they VT-231's?)
I believe the unit is shipped w/Electro-Harmonix tubes.

When your evaluating, are you using the E-H's or the K-R's?
[reply requested; ha, ha]

I'm super surprised your not on A Various Subitute Forum (ha, ha).

modwright

« Reply #79 on: 14 Sep 2011, 03:46 am »
It was photographed with the K.R.'s, because that is what Marco had on hand for the shoot.

I use the Sophia's personally and yes we ship with the Tung-Sols (new production) stock.

Thanks,

Dan