A meeting of the minds...

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: A meeting of the minds...
« Reply #40 on: 5 Jan 2016, 12:13 am »
Would be interesting to see if someone was still making the old Strathhearn ribbon midranges.  Not seen anyone do those for awhile.

Oh well.

Folsom

« Reply #41 on: 5 Jan 2016, 12:16 am »
Danny developing his own tweeters? That can't be a bad thing.

I don't understand a damn word, but here's a video of Piega making tweeters by hand. This one has some other footage.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #42 on: 5 Jan 2016, 12:44 am »
Unfortunately, I'd have to say I just reach dead ends. Christy Digital's legal department has things tied up right now. Who knows...

In the mean time I am working on the development of some new Planar magnetic tweeters. Starting from scratch is going to take a while...
Well that just su....... errr, is unfortunate. Too bad that it's Lawyers screwing it up.

Hope something can be worked out. Best of luck!

Early B.

« Reply #43 on: 5 Jan 2016, 12:48 am »
What about the Hawthorne AMT tweeter. That should be a top notch platform.

Awesome tweeter!! Danny designed the crossover in my OBsession 8 which uses this tweeter. The problem is -- they're quite expensive. Hawthorne sells them for $395 each. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 5 Jan 2016, 01:12 am »
Why start from scratch? Aren't there other planar/ribbon tweeters on the market that can be tweaked for your use?

No.

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 5 Jan 2016, 01:15 am »
What about the Hawthorne AMT tweeter. That should be a top notch platform.

Rocket_Ronny

It's a great driver but too tall. It has a limited vertical range. And it requires an aggressive notch filter or too to smooth out the response. It is not cheap yet. It is a pricey driver.

Minus the limited vertical range, with a good crossover to correct the response it does sound very good.

sfox7076

« Reply #46 on: 5 Jan 2016, 01:24 am »
People like to blame the lawyers...  It's rarely the lawyers that create the problems. We just sort them out or get blamed. 

jcotner

« Reply #47 on: 6 Jan 2016, 04:17 am »
Unfortunately, I'd have to say I just reach dead ends. Christy Digital's legal department has things tied up right now. Who knows...

In the mean time I am working on the development of some new Planar magnetic tweeters. Starting from scratch is going to take a while...

I kind of predicted this last year after the sale was announced. Christie has this kind of reputation, unfortunately. And also unfortunately this niche (and it is most definitely a niche to Christie) speaker market is of very little concern to them. For all Danny is to us, he doesn't mean much to Christie either. Danny found a good technology in the BG drivers, unfortunately it is patented and it will take a while and some very cleaver thought to come up with a like design. It's also a shame that Christie won't cross license this, and they may in fact be willing, but at what cost.
I've seen this sort of thing in my engineering career before and it's only getting worse. And knowing a little bit about the company, I would say the lawyers most certainly have a big hand in this.

sfox7076

« Reply #48 on: 6 Jan 2016, 04:54 am »
Is it the lawyers or the owners?  We act at a clients direction.  Not often just on our own.  We are also an easy excuse.  Oh, it's with my lawyer, instead of It is buried under stacks of other things and I will get to it.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #49 on: 6 Jan 2016, 05:23 am »
Is it the lawyers or the owners?  We act at a clients direction.  Not often just on our own.  We are also an easy excuse.  Oh, it's with my lawyer, instead of It is buried under stacks of other things and I will get to it.

sfox, you're letting this get under your skin. Specifying precisely who is responsible doesn't really matter in the end game as it doesn't make any Neos available, eh?

Now if you can effect some change of heart with Christie, you'd be a hero  :)

jcotner

« Reply #50 on: 6 Jan 2016, 05:48 am »
sfox I'm NOT picking on lawyers in general. Christie Digital is large enough that they
are most likely represented by in house council. Since my direct knowledge of them
is several years old, I hesitate to say now.
They are tough and direct and if they don't see a compelling business case for
releasing these back into OEM channels, they won't.
They wanted these because they use them in Cinema speaker arrays and their
core business is digital projection, lots of movie theatres and like venues.
That is the business I know them from and based on that I don't see a
great possibility of that happening.
And Peter J. is right, if you could effect some change of heart there you would
be a hero in this little part of the universe!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #51 on: 6 Jan 2016, 02:39 pm »
Absolutely correct.

I held talk with them at the very beginning since they are local to me.

In the end, we had a difference in opinions so nothing came out of it.

They are tough and direct and if they don't see a compelling business case for
releasing these back into OEM channels, they won't.
They wanted these because they use them in Cinema speaker arrays and their
core business is digital projection, lots of movie theatres and like venues.
That is the business I know them from and based on that I don't see a
great possibility of that happening.

Oak Island Matt

« Reply #52 on: 22 Dec 2016, 11:36 pm »
Danny, how is the progress of your own tweeters?

When you guys wrote about the Hawthorne/Beyma TPL-150 tweeters i can mention that I have them in a MTM quarter wave horn together with Beymas 10G40 and they sound really good. (I did try them as open baffle, sounded terrific, but I had a project to finish.)
To have a line source of TPL-150 with open backs would be nice but indeed rather expensive.

But look at a swedish forum friend of mines 350 mm high diy AMT:

from here:

http://hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=89186&whichpage=15

Maybe something for you to look at?

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 23 Dec 2016, 03:22 am »
Danny, how is the progress of your own tweeters?

Development is complete. Working at the production level next.

satie

« Reply #54 on: 27 Dec 2016, 08:48 am »
So what did you end up with?  A long tall tweeter like the GTA and maggie, or a small flat one like an EMIT or a Neo3? straight Al diaphragm or Al on mylar?

Are you going to have access to Neo10s for the new version of these speakers with your new tweeters?

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 27 Dec 2016, 04:18 pm »
So what did you end up with?  A long tall tweeter like the GTA and maggie, or a small flat one like an EMIT or a Neo3? straight Al diaphragm or Al on mylar?

Are you going to have access to Neo10s for the new version of these speakers with your new tweeters?

See the last page of a thread entitled BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again.