Pulled the trigger on Elrog 300B for the Golden Gate DAC

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Despite the reliability issues that people have written about, I got a set to try on the GG. I talked to George of TubesUSA who seemed honest about the reliability issues.  Apparently the original batch had thoriated tungsten filament that had difficulty handling the current demanded by some amps causing whopping 50% failure rate. But the new batch has increased current capacity, and reliability has been improved.  I hope I don't regret this :duh:.

If anyone has tried this tube with the GG or Big 7, please chip in.  Which tube setting switch did you use?  I was wondering if the lower wattage 101D/45 setting may be better for this tube to improve reliability. Or is this setting too low for the Elrog to function properly?  It's like my first time with a girl :dunno: :o.

sfox7076

Re: Pulled the trigger on Elrog 300B for the Golden Gate DAC
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2015, 05:05 am »
You have to worry about cathode stripping.  The 300b is running at 1.2 amps and 5 volts.  A 101D is 4.5 volts and 1 amp.  That's 1.5 watts different.  Is that enough to cause cathode stripping?  Not sure. 

Good luck with the ElRogs. I hope they figured out their filament resistance issues. 

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2015, 06:37 am »
Thanks Sfox.  Your comments and advice are always informative.

Germanboxers

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2015, 06:29 pm »
Hello Dracule1,

If your GG behaves like my Big7 you should be ok.  I've been running the Elrogs for 2 months without any problem indicated.  On my Audion Golden Dreams PSET amps, the anode developed a bright orange spot about half the size of a penny within a couple of weeks on one pair, but not the other.  George was responsive in replacing the pair for that mono, but did suggest that it wasn't wise to continue using them in the amps.  Since I had the Big7 I just switched to using a pair in the DAC instead.

I hope to receive my GG toward the end of this month.  I have trailed a fair number of amps, DAC's and line stages over the years and the jump from Melody P2688 LS / Luxman DA-06 DAC to the Big7 direct to PSET amps is a more noticeable, more meaningful improvement than any comparison i have conducted in the last 25 years.  This astounds me!  DAC differences were always more subtle than amps and pre's...not with the Big7 and I hope the GG further improves on the already magnificent Big7.

Incidentally, I compared the 101D WE replicas to the Elrog 300B's last night again and have concluded the 300B's are superior in most ways that matter to me.  In contrast to the Elrogs, the 101D's seem to have a mid-to-upper midrange glare that limits the emotional connection, though the frequency extremes were likely more correct.  I find myself listening at lower volume level with the 101D's in because it f that glare.

Jordan

wisnon

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2015, 09:32 pm »
AlRainbow thinks the Elrogs are the best sounding tubes he ever used in his B7s. He, Bonzo and others think the WE replica 101ds are best for classical. I think horses for courses and tubes for genres.

Also, DHTs in isolation is not the whole picture. The combo with the rectis is what really matters.

Germanboxers

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2015, 10:28 pm »
AlRainbow thinks the Elrogs are the best sounding tubes he ever used in his B7s. He, Bonzo and others think the WE replica 101ds are best for classical. I think horses for courses and tubes for genres.

Also, DHTs in isolation is not the whole picture. The combo with the rectis is what really matters.

Wisnon, My Big7 uses two 6X5 half wave rectifiers, not sure the make.  In your opinion, what 5V full wave rectifier most closely matches the 6X5's in the Golden Gate or Big7?  I have several on hand, including a U52 to play with when my GG arrives.

Thanks,

Jordan

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2015, 11:17 pm »
Not sure.

The U52 is of high repute, so that is a good start.
You will see many good recti choices elaborated here on this forum.

the double mica 5r4gy, the 1940-5 RCA double getter 5r4gy, fat bottle GZ37, metal base GZ34,Brimar 5v4g, WE 422a, WE 274B, replicas,etc.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2015, 12:45 am »
So you guys recommend the 300B/2A3 setting for the Elrogs 300Bs and not the lower power 101D/45 setting on the GG DAC?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2015, 12:59 am »
Well, I just got some advice from George at TubesUSA.  He definitely recommends not using the 2.5V setting (101D/45 setting I assume) as that won't result in emission and cause cathode damage! The Elrog 300B requires 5V.  He also recommends breaking them in slowly and don't leave them on when not listening to music (ie, don't leave them on overnight).

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2015, 01:22 am »
Germanboxers and Wisnon, thanks for your inputs.  I've tried the EML 45 mesh plate with EML 5UG mesh plate rectifier and Psvane 101D replica and the TJ Full Music 300B SE, both with Psvane WE274B replica rectifier, on my GG .  I know the Psvane 101D can have some hardness in the upper midrange, but in my system there is only subtle hint of this.  I the like the 101D for its great dynamics, bass and treble extension, black background, and slightly forward presentation. It's great for large scale orchestral and big band music. I like the TJ 300B SE for is more laid back presentation, slightly wider and deeper soundstage, and lack of any upper midrange glare. It's more relaxing than the 101D.  However, I do notice a very subtle graininess to the upper frequencies that the 101Ds lack. I prefer the TJ 300B for vocals and Jazz.  The EML is my least favorite at least with the EML rectifier.  It's warm sounding and slightly slow and not as transparent as the other two.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2015, 01:38 am »
Despite the reliability issues that people have written about, I got a set to try on the GG. I talked to George of TubesUSA who seemed honest about the reliability issues.  Apparently the original batch had thoriated tungsten filament that had difficulty handling the current demanded by some amps causing whopping 50% failure rate. But the new batch has increased current capacity, and reliability has been improved.  I hope I don't regret this :duh:.

If anyone has tried this tube with the GG or Big 7, please chip in.  Which tube setting switch did you use?  I was wondering if the lower wattage 101D/45 setting may be better for this tube to improve reliability. Or is this setting too low for the Elrog to function properly?  It's like my first time with a girl :dunno: :o.
Usually Thorium at filaments have two versions 1% or 2%, but this prob may be related to a too thin tungsten filament wire.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2015, 04:01 am »
Usually Thorium at filaments have two versions 1% or 2%, but this prob may be related to a too thin tungsten filament wire.

I was told some if not most of the first generation of Elrog 300B failure was related to thin filament wire, and the current production tubes have thicker wire.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2015, 04:06 am »
The filament is tungsten or other material?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2015, 04:08 am »
The filament is tungsten or other material?

Thoriated tungsten

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2015, 04:13 am »
So its easy to solve this prob.
Its a very old technology and well documented.
After 6C33 russian jets are using GMI11 on radar
which lasts about 25 years, same as the plane!
So they are f* us when they made audio tubes
that lasts only about 2K hours!!

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2015, 05:01 am »
The Russians made those military tubes because reliability meant life or death.  High end audio tubes are all about profit first, sound second, and reliability last.  Too much greed in high end audio now. But let's not get off topic.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2015, 07:53 am by Dracule1 »

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2015, 02:36 am »
I have 20 hours on my Elrogs now.  How many hours for them to be fully broken in?  I'm very careful about the break in of these.  I don't play them for longer than 4 hours at a time.  Most of time 2 to 3 hours.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2015, 09:58 am »
STM this procedure are correct.
All tubes in brokein need about a day of rest after the use.

sfox7076

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2015, 10:21 am »
I have never owned high end audio tubes that are new production (post 1988) that I kept.  I am suspect that a thoriated tungsten filament would have current issues.  The filament would have been 5 volts at 1.2 amps.  WE made tubes with tungsten filaments that ran at 15 amps and higher voltage...  The 354A comes to mind.

sfox7076

« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2015, 10:23 am »
Misread an earlier post.  Ignore my last posting.