Questions about a speaker's measurement result

LukasL

• Industry Participant
Questions about a speaker's measurement result
« on: 23 Mar 2018, 10:24 am »
Hi all,

I recently came across a speaker on Kickstarter. 
I noticed it's frequency response and the comments about it and I'd like to find somewhere that's not directly related to the project creator to get more objective advice.

It's said to be an omnidirectional, Hi-Res smart speaker with 40-40kHz frequency performance. I noticed that they had 10 dB variation in their frequency response graph (which was pointed out in a comment), but then they said that they've used a "near field scanner" to test the speaker and showed a graph (as attached, retrieved from https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2034870069/upstage-360-the-ultimate-360-hi-res-smart-speaker/posts/2136152 on Mar 23).
I'm no expert in electroacoustic measurement. Does this graph prove its sound quality?

Thanks!

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Questions about a speaker's measurement result
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2018, 02:26 pm »
It takes a lot more than one manufacture's generated graph to prove sound quality.  In fact all graphs can do is suggest sound quality.
What about the same type of graph of competitive products? What about spinorama graphs?

ServerAdmin

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2018, 05:09 pm »
"LukasL" from backer-founder.com: please state your involvement with the linked Kickstarter campaign...

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2018, 03:44 am »
Beats me.

I am very much an omnidirectional speaker devotee.  My trajectory leads to German Physiks,  Duevel,  Morrison Audio, and maybe Ohm Acoustics.   See Morrison Audio for Don Morrison's latest writing,  the most he's written in years and an excellent summary of point-source omnidirectional.  Note:  NOT polydirectional.   Big difference.

I find the test/measurement strategy here interesting.  Go figure this is in Germany;  they are absolutely on to something with the "real sound" of MBL,  G. Physiks, and Duevel.  This is not a coincidence.  To the best of my knowledge,  nobody has bothered to figured out a good way to measure omnidirectionals,  maybe due to small market share.  For review measurements,  there's always the "take with grain of salt" factor,  so for example the actual dB sensitivity is always slightly higher in real life. 

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2018, 10:18 am »
Klippel (who did the measurements) is in Germany. The company behind the Kickstarter is in Taiwan.

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2018, 03:02 pm »
This is somewhat my point.

Omni's have been developed in Germany, Italy, US, Canada, Russia, now Taiwan, and probably others I'm not aware of.

It seems like this company is doing a lot of things right,  including sending their product to Germany for testing.   To the best of my knowledge,  this is the only testing of an omni "done right" thus far.   To me anyways,  it shows they are serious about developing a quality product rather than just marketing/claims.  Not that that isn't part of it too  :)  I think their claim of 40hZ for meaningful output may be a little optimistic.   

One thing I was confused about,  was I thought these would be sold in pairs for small systems.   Seems more like an audiophile-ish lifestyle speaker,  but they've packed a lot into a small package.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2018, 01:01 pm »
I don't mean to be critical, but from what I can see it seems to be more of a lifestyle product to team up with your Echo or smartphone for background music.  It may do very well for its intended use, but I don't see it as a high fidelity product intended for critical listening.  From the little that can be gleaned off the published frequency chart it looks like a typical mid bass bump with reduced high frequency and no bass below 100hz, exactly what we typically see from these products.  A pair of them is over C and C guidelines, but one as a Bluetooth speaker could work quite well for its intended use.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2018, 03:17 pm »
I don't mean to be critical, but from what I can see it seems to be more of a lifestyle product to team up with your Echo or smartphone for background music.  It may do very well for its intended use, but I don't see it as a high fidelity product intended for critical listening.  From the little that can be gleaned off the published frequency chart it looks like a typical mid bass bump with reduced high frequency and no bass below 100hz, exactly what we typically see from these products.  A pair of them is over C and C guidelines, but one as a Bluetooth speaker could work quite well for its intended use.

Wholeheartedly agreed. Consider a Google Home and be done. Cheaper too.

Best,
Anand.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2018, 01:54 pm »
Hi, gang.

I wrote a short review of this speaker yesterday not realizing this thread existed. (Thank you, Anand!)

It's intended to compete with the B&O M5 or A6. I've heard the prototype twice now. (Guess which country I'm in right now.) I know two of the people who are involved with its development. It's actually a pretty decent speaker for a Bluetooth speaker. Good quality sound without being bright or causing listener fatigue. I ordered one for my wife.

It's not going to put Jim Salk or Lou Hinkley out of business.

Michael