• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Customer Feedback - Buying Used
« on: 22 Mar 2018, 12:00 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT:  Bryston  – Customer Feedback - Randy

March,  2018

James,

I just wanted to tell you a (sorta) quick story about my Bryston experience as a new customer, albeit of used equipment, as we discussed.

In the span of a month, I’ve now changed everything in my system save my CD player and speakers - that’s power amps (28 Cubed), preamp (BP26), DAC (BDA-2), added a ripper/streamer (Bluesound Vault2), and changed all my interconnects and speaker cables.

After all this change, it’s really impossible to isolate where the huge improvements have come from, so last night I swapped my Nord OneUp Hypex NCore Class D monos back in for the 28s. It wasn’t quite like going from a “stereo” to a clock radio, but it was close. The sound just lost its life, the image size collapsed in multiple dimensions and voices became much less lifelike. These 28 Cubed amps are just amazing.

Despite my having bought all this equipment used, I am in discussion with my local dealer re: a BDA-3, have had two people over to hear my system with amazed results, and have told my story of newfound Bryston enthusiasm to several others I know from audio forums.

Even joining the Bryston family via exclusively used equipment up to now, you’ve gained a new ambassador, I’ll doubtless buy something else soon, and with my excitement and home demos I just might sell a few Bryston pieces to others for you, too!

You and the Bryston team have brought enjoyment to my listening experience that I hadn't realized was even possible, and I am being drawn back into my music collection that has largely languished on shelves for years.  Bravo to everyone who is involved in bringing these fantastic products to market!

Thanks again for all your patience and help on this journey. I’m absolutely blown away every time I sit down in front of my system in a way I never even knew was possible.

Have a great day,

Randy

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Customer Feedback - Buying Used
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2018, 11:09 pm »
^ That's a nice, frank review.

James, what is your opinion on buying used Brystons from non-"authorized" dealers? Encourage it, discourage it, or indifferent?

cheers

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2018, 11:19 pm »
If it is used, why should it matter?  :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2018, 11:40 pm »
^ That's a nice, frank review.

James, what is your opinion on buying used Brystons from non-"authorized" dealers? Encourage it, discourage it, or indifferent?

cheers

Hi

Encourage it  - I feel having a customer exposed to our products helps us expand our market base.

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2018, 11:52 pm »
If it is used, why should it matter?  :scratch:

You didn't read my post fully, did you?
Bryston does not honor the warranty if bought from unauth dealer -- used or new.

cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2018, 12:17 am »
Correct - the used gear must have been sold to an authorised Bryston dealer initially but after that first sale is does not matter.

james

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2018, 12:24 am »
If a dealer takes a used piece in on trade, and they are not a dealer, what difference does it make? I doubt
you are an authorized Bryston dealer, so if you sell a used piece of Bryston gear, should Bryston stand behind it? If you say yes, why the exception?

Either a warranty is transferable or it it isn’t. Where a person buys used goods shouldn’t be an issue. If it is, I’d stay clear of that product and brand - meaning as a (non Bryston) dealer, I wouldn’t touch it with a 10’ pole.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2018, 01:38 am »
Where a person buys used goods shouldn’t be an issue. If it is, I’d stay clear of that product and brand - meaning as a (non Bryston) dealer, I wouldn’t touch it with a 10’ pole.

From the standpoint of a buyer, it usually is a big concession if the full warranty is lacking because it was bought from a non-Bryston dealer. As a buyer, it's a potential deal-breaker for me -- I want the warranty, esp with Bryston's stellar service record.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2018, 01:57 am »
The warrant seems to say you MUST HAVE the original sales receipt from an authorized Bryston dealer.
There are ads which mention the seller has the sales receipt.

There also was a sale and the person said they were bought a XYZ dealer, but that dealer went out of business, and the seller lost the receipt.
SO..? Does that buyer, if they know and can name the store purchased at. get the remainder of the warranty?

Does an original buyer, who lost the sales receipt still have a warranty.(If the store is still open I would guess he or she can get a copy? OR what if the store closes?

My receipt sucks, As it has FOUR Bryston products on one small receipt which does have the authorized dealers name etc, but it looks like it was from a short order diner!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2018, 04:57 am »
My receipt sucks, As it has FOUR Bryston products on one small receipt which does have the authorized dealers name etc, but it looks like it was from a short order diner!

You posed some good questions, really good questions; however I don't think your receipt as described would pose a problem.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2018, 09:20 am »
We keep track of all the original sales (serial number and dealer sold to) - have for 40 years now - and as long as the serial number of the used amplifier is shown to have been sold through an authorised dealer the warranty is not an issue. 

Folks we are not here to piss off our potential or current customers by nitpicking a warranty issue. The purpose of the warrant  policy is to try and support our dealers and distributors ... and you our customers from 'gray' market issues.

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2018, 11:20 am »
Folks we are not here to piss off our potential or current customers by nitpicking a warranty issue. The purpose of the warrant  policy is to try and support our dealers and distributors ... and you our customers from 'gray' market issues.

james

Sorry I brought it up.

cheers

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2018, 01:42 pm »
You're all missing an important point here... Randy bought 28 cubeds USED!
Someone out there did not like them... :o

gene9p

« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2018, 02:18 pm »
that's ok. it means someone else will get a nice deal . I bought my BDA-1 and BP20 second hand. The preamp I had to sell..too much static electricity from my carpets for a manny pre amp..but the bda-1 is a permanent fixture even with the newer dacs available. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any Bryston product second hand.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2018, 03:08 pm »
How many unauthorized Bryston dealers are there?

What action does Bryston take against those who sell Bryston gear without being an authorized dealer?

How does a buyer know if the dealer is authorized or not?

If someone unknowingly buys from an unauthorized dealer, is he SOL even though the product was made by Bryston?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2018, 03:28 pm »

mrhyfy

« Reply #16 on: 23 Mar 2018, 08:30 pm »
Pardon my ignorance, ,,how do unauthorized  dealers get hold of new ,authentic  Bryston gear?
Is it stolen??
I assume  every piece of gear leaving  Neal Drive  is heading  to  a legitimate  dealer (?)

ngamountains

« Reply #17 on: 23 Mar 2018, 08:45 pm »
^ My thought and question, exactly.

bavmike

« Reply #18 on: 23 Mar 2018, 08:49 pm »
Authorized dealers unload them at cost or just above cost to unauthorized dealers. This way they can meet their annual sales quota. But you would think based on the serial number that Bryston would know which dealer had them first. I know a guy who was denied warranty for his 14B because he bought used from a grey market dealer.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 23 Mar 2018, 10:22 pm »
Authorized dealers unload them at cost or just above cost to unauthorized dealers. This way they can meet their annual sales quota.

If the product was shipped to a legit dealer and then sold by them at cost or just above cost to an unauthorized dealer, how would Bryston know?

We keep track of all the original sales (serial number and dealer sold to) - have for 40 years now - and as long as the serial number of the used amplifier is shown to have been sold through an authorised dealer the warranty is not an issue.