Total Pi... Audio rewire. It begins

jparkhur

Total Pi... Audio rewire. It begins
« on: 22 May 2013, 10:36 pm »
It has come time to rewire everything.   I sold off the high end theater stuff the kids were using and got them some basic 7.2.  I now have a second system in the same space.
Dodd SGP Amp connected to a Pi Audio Battery Buss, which also is running my two hard drives, all on a 12 volt Power Sonic Battery and everything else plugged into a Buss B with special sauce.  I know my location is not spectacular but ill document in photos anyways for those interested

jparkhur

Re: Total Pi... Audio rewire. It begins
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2013, 10:42 pm »

jparkhur

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2013, 10:42 pm »
Attaching battery to new wire, straight to battery buss

jparkhur

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2013, 10:48 pm »

The chaos is taken apart.  We can build it better!  Anyone need cables?

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2013, 11:00 pm »

Drilled out holes to fit big bolts

jparkhur

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2013, 11:05 pm »

Switched them.    Trying to organize in here. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2013, 01:15 am »

Switched them.    Trying to organize in here.
You go, Jon!!!  I should have asked what size lugs you needed, eh?  My bad.

Let us know how it all turns out.

Dave

jparkhur

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2013, 01:20 am »
Yes. It may be another day or so.  I plugged everything in added new kt77 tubes to my clementine chubby amp and Smoke Everywhere.   I had used Kt 88, kt66, 350b and el34 with great success.  Fried!!!!!  I just opened it and I took out at least the six big resistors, three actually fell off the board.  A quick pull of plug prob saved the board.  Don't know if I can save it.

jparkhur

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2013, 01:21 am »

This had only to do with my stupidity it appears.  I thought any octal would go. Dumb Ass me

jparkhur

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2013, 02:13 am »
Ok.  It appears that pins 1 and 8 need to be connected.  I subbed in the Decware 3-5 watt amp with EL 84's.  set up with Encore xls's with hot rod Xo's.  I have every thing plugged into either the battery buss or Buss B into a 20 amp line straight to the box.  Ill spend some time getting use to this amp but already I notice the back wall of some recordings that I didn't notice before.  More to come

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2013, 03:35 am »
Ok.  It appears that pins 1 and 8 need to be connected.  I subbed in the Decware 3-5 watt amp with EL 84's.  set up with Encore xls's with hot rod Xo's.  I have every thing plugged into either the battery buss or Buss B into a 20 amp line straight to the box.  Ill spend some time getting use to this amp but already I notice the back wall of some recordings that I didn't notice before.  More to come
Ohhhhhh, ouch.  Yeah, in octals the primary difference in the popular pin outs is the necessity for 1 & 8 to be connected in the EL34 family of tubes.  Bummer.  I think we've all done it.  I found out when our lead player wanted to try EL34's in his blackface Bassman  700 years ago. Sounded great after the smoke cleared and repairs/mods were made.  Kinda like a Marshall when the mids were rolled back. 

Dave

jparkhur

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2013, 06:17 pm »
Ok,  My other amp has burned in some and I finally got sick of trying to have two systems in one area.  So the inwall will be set to kids theater only and I picked up a inexpensive wood metal rack today and will start the process from scratch to better isolate cables/pieces.  Here is what I ended up with. Very heavy, metal frame, heavy wood shelves, happy so far.  Will post rewire tonight.  I am not using the back paper card board cover, looks cheap.  Filled legs with sand from the sandbox  :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2013, 07:36 pm »
Jon,

Cool rack.  Minimalist.  I like it.    8)

jparkhur

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2013, 07:46 pm »
Heavy, simple, enough for a second system    It just works.. 

jparkhur

« Reply #14 on: 19 Sep 2013, 07:49 pm »
Finalized:

I would like to thank Dave for such a great job on all the pieces that I have finally had time to put together.  Current implementation looks like this:
Wall plug to Pi revB Buss
100 AHM Power Sonic Battery to Pi Battery Buss
Western Digital Hard drives in to Pi Battery buss, along with Dodd Dac 32/384 12Volt, and Dodd SG Pre with 6H30 DR tube.
Mac Mini with Pi MPC ++ power cable in to Buss
DIY 5 watt EL 34 Amp in to Buss
Pi Split Wire USB cable (power and data)
iTunes 11, no software program being used currently

I chose to do two separate trials with the items.  The first trial followed one piece at a time and documenting what thing were changing with three songs that I listen to on a regular basis.  The second included having the pieces randomly taken out of the puzzle to see what I was now missing. Human nature is to recognize the negatives more than the positives and to take away a positive bias that would be associated with what was going in to the system.

Songs used were from Mumford and Sons - Live at Red Rocks
NIN All that could have been
Neil Young Live at Massy Hall

It was very difficult to tell what one part made the biggest difference, but the combination of the USB cord and the battery buss, would most likely come to the top.  I am NOT taking in to account any of the hard pieces, only the wires and buss at this time.  After adding the power cord for the mac mini there was significant gain in blackness and it appears to have reduced the back ground noise over the stock cord.  Also, as Dave told me it to be true, there is a polarity to the mac mini.  This took me a couple times of switching on and off the mac and reversing the cord to find it, but there is a easily discernible difference in sound when it is in the correct polarity.

The Usb cable was a great add and even one up'ed my pervious one.   The use of the power from the usb and separate data cable was a great combination.  I did notice that putting the data cable usb further away from the power supply and the power supply usb cable closest to the mac's power cord had a better sound/blackness.  I did not believe this at first when trying it, but also confirmed it from other AC members who have tried similar combinations.

The combination of the usb, battery buss, and mac mini cord, along with the big buss b, have made a significant change in sound quality and sharpness I have not heard prior.  The investment vs gain was, in my mind, a positive one.  I am not sure that I could spend this little amount on secondary parts, and have such an influence on the overall sound quality.  For sure a positive correlation.

During listening test the following was notice.

The breath of Neil Young during his songs on Massy Hall was increasingly livid and you could visualize him moving his head side to side no matter how slight.  The movement of the guitar away from the mic etc.

The cymbals in Mumfords band was bright, crisp, and sound new to my ears.  This is something I had not heard  this prior. 

NIN and Trent with some of his slower songs, plus Hurt, really had a dynamic unlike previous incarnations of my systems.

Overall the distance between speakers seemed to increase on the positive side, even though they had not moved, depth to the back of the recording site for Neil Young was much deeper and the greatest item was the lack of noise.. the blackness, of the music.  I am off to China again, and then to California on the way back.  Feel free to post, but will not be around to respond quickly.

jparkhur

« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2013, 07:52 pm »

back of battery buss, 2 10 amp big xlr's, and 3 little ones

usb cable   data and power

front of battery buss with input and on off switch

MPC ++ mac mini cable... unreal

Ends to plugs

wires to 12 volt components

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #16 on: 19 Sep 2013, 09:56 pm »
Jon can you check your inbox?
Is it full or what, nobody can PM you.
I've been trying to get in touch with you for 3 weeks.

Lin

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: 19 Sep 2013, 11:10 pm »
Thanks for the update, Jon.  I am very pleased to see that you are liking what you hear.  It will get better with time.  The cables will need to settle in some and then !? :D

The polarity thing on the Mac Mini is an interesting one, huh?

Dave

jparkhur

« Reply #18 on: 20 Sep 2013, 12:20 pm »
Linus... check you pm...   

rogerdn

« Reply #19 on: 20 Sep 2013, 07:31 pm »

The polarity thing on the Mac Mini is an interesting one, huh?

Dave

Dave, I assume this does not apply to mine or am I missing something ?