FEDEX Claim Help

Philistine

FEDEX Claim Help
« on: 21 Aug 2016, 06:31 pm »
Not sure where to put this so starting in the GR Research Circle as there's a tenuous link - feel free to move it Danny if it fits better elsewhere.

Danny introduced me to Charlie in the Boston area who carries out electrical repairs (tenuous link), Charlie is a straight up guy and does a great job.  I needed to send an old Musical Fidelity amp to him after I blew one of the channels, the amp weighs about 75 lbs and the PSU 50 lbs.  I used a Kubox (reusable heavy duty cardboard box) for the amp and a Fedex box for the PSU, lots of packaging, insured it and had the local Fedex/Kinko's check it over before sealing everything up and shipping.   So far, so good - shipped Monday and tracking confirmed it arrived Wednesday. as it was insured it had to be signed for.  Called Charlie on the Friday and he's not received it, pulled off the tracking details and delivery confirmation, and they'd delivered to the wrong address (printed off the confirmations before they 'disappeared').  Initially Fedex claimed they'd delivered to the address I wrote down, after insisting that even Ray Charles could read the address I'd written on the order form they actioned a pick up and re-delivery to the correct address and gave me a new tracking number.   After a week there's a delivery exception and they admit they've been unable to retrieve the 2 boxes (recipient allegedly no longer at the address) and they emailed a claim form.

It sounds like a 'no brainer' - I've got the Fedex Order Form (correct address), tracking print offs, Proof of delivery (with the wrong address and name), I can get a copy of the original invoice from the store, I insured for the used value I found on a live Audiogon sale of the same amp (I increased this for the added value of mods I had done on the PSU and can document this).

I believe I'm in a strong position but you never know - anyone who's been down this path and has advice on how to navigate the process please jump in. 

Thanks

CSI

Re: FEDEX Claim Help
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2016, 06:52 pm »
Be polite and persistent. And good luck! Shippers have people on staff who do NOT want to pay claims (a bottom line issue). I used to use UPS exclusively but won't go near them anymore. A couple of years ago I sold a pair of WLM speakers and shipped them to the buyer. They were in the original cartons with all the original packing material. They had even been shipped from Austria that way. One of them arrived damaged - rather obviously dropped from a height (maybe out of the back of a truck). UPS denied my claim on the grounds that the packaging was inadequate. This in spite of the fact that it was all factory original. When I pointed out that the factory itself thought the packaging was just fine they changed their tune and told me it had been used "once too often" and therefore the cardboard must be weak!.

Congratulations to the "agent" at UPS who denied my rather modest claim. You lost a good customer permanently.

I hope you have better luck with FedEx. So far I haven't had to place a claim with them but like many folks on this site I ship a lot of stuff around so I'm holding my breath.

sandbagger

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2016, 12:25 am »
1. Be glad you used FedEx!
2. BE VERY GLAD you required a signature!!!

I have only had 1 problem with a claim and it was due to not requiring a sig.  They will make this right as they have already admitted to delivering to the wrong address!

if this was UPS you would have never gotten them to admit they delivered a mistake.
BTW I have had checks from FEDEX in under a week after filing a damage claim.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2016, 07:57 pm »
UPS sucks.  It sounds like you did everything right so they should be able to cover it.  In my experience Fedex has been much better to work with but be prepared for a fight just in case. 

mr_bill

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2016, 08:02 pm »
I've had two claims with Fed Ex and both got me $0 back.  They won't pay on shipping damage no matter what.  They will investigate and say and damage is not their fault.
..............and insurance for value is NOT insurance - they interpret it a different way which made my eyes roll in my head. 

Yours in a delivery problem so hope they own up and take care of you. 

Oscillate

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2016, 09:10 pm »
"...and insurance for value is NOT insurance - they interpret it a different way..."

I believe what you are saying ...but please do explain.

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2016, 11:12 pm »
I'm not sure how to explain it, but what you buy and count on as insurance for what you are shipping is not what it really is when you get into a claim with Fed Ex.

DFaulds

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2016, 10:17 am »
Just as a note, FedEx also limits the claim amount to not more than $500 for anything deemed as not new, regardless of it's true value.  It's spelled out on their website, but who would even think of checking something like this since they'll gladly sell you more than $500 in insurance.  I've got quite a few vintage pieces that I'll be forced to ship either UPS or USPS because of this limitation.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2016, 10:50 am »
In my country UPS is even worse than Fedex.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2016, 12:58 pm »
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2016, 10:36 am by Bob2 »

Philistine

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2016, 03:24 pm »
Thanks for all the input:

My understanding is that they have a sliding scale for insurance - the higher the declared value the higher the premium?  If this is correct then I don't understand the $500 limit.  They do have the right to inspect contents when the insurance value exceeds a certain value, which is also in conflict with the $500 cap.

I'm going to stop by the office I used to send it and get their input before processing the claim....maybe they have some recommendations, I use them often and they're reasonable friendly.

I'll update the progress, many of us are shipping stuff around and risking damage and losses.

DFaulds

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2016, 10:09 am »
I guess it's now $1,000.  From their website.

F. Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$1,000:

3. Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain.

4. Antiques, or any commodity that exhibits the style or fashion of a past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value. These items include, but are not limited to, furniture, tableware and glassware.

That pretty much gives them an out for just about anything.

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2016, 10:22 am »
I guess it's now $1,000.  From their website.

F. Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$1,000:

3. Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain.

4. Antiques, or any commodity that exhibits the style or fashion of a past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value. These items include, but are not limited to, furniture, tableware and glassware.

That pretty much gives them an out for just about anything.

Hi,
they are not the only one with such-so many restrictions.
They protect themselves...
That way, the driver can toss anything they want (Over a fence)
and will not be responsible...  :x

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2016, 11:39 am »
After viewing many threads on UPS and Fedex destructions, I can say I never receive a damaged product w/our local mail service.
So they are much better than UPS and Fedex.

CSI

« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2016, 06:12 pm »
I've noticed some of the audio companies I buy from use the post office (USPS) exclusively. The US PO used be terrible and the employees seemed lazy and surly. Then about ten years ago they adopted some modern private sector efficiencies and things have improved dramatically. The service is generally excellent and the employees appear to enjoy their work and seem a lot happier working in a system that is actually designed to help people. Which proves what I was taught in business school, "If you put a good person into a bad system the system will win every time".

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2016, 06:36 pm »
Not a big UPS fan.  Fedex has one list the declared value.  Fedex where I used to live would have their depot open late hours if I got something requiring a signature and I could not be home.  They would also let me get the package moved to my local Fedex Home Office store for free.  UPS has stores but they charge for that.

bdp24

« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2016, 05:23 am »
I've shipped vintage drums via FedEx for almost twenty years without a single instance of damage or loss. But I cover each drum in bubble wrap, and use sturdy boxes filled with foam peanuts.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 26 Aug 2016, 06:09 am »
I've shipped vintage drums via FedEx for almost twenty years without a single instance of damage or loss. But I cover each drum in bubble wrap, and use sturdy boxes filled with foam peanuts.
This not works as a positive example since drums are built to withstand beats all the time.

bdp24

« Reply #18 on: 26 Aug 2016, 02:24 pm »
Ha! Drum sticks are one thing, forklift tines are another! I've seen a pic of a drum impaled by a tine, like an arrow through a deer.

Guy 13

« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2016, 07:01 am »