Can I connect a microphone to KWI-200?

jobyts

Can I connect a microphone to KWI-200?
« on: 19 Dec 2016, 12:46 am »
If possible, please educate me how to do it. I have the Modwright integrated amplifier KWI-200. My daughter is into vocals and I prefer not to buy another amp/speaker setup, just for her practice.

Thanks in advance.

Phil A

Re: Can I connect a microphone to KWI-200?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2016, 01:07 am »
If you have a quarter inch microphone jack then just get an rca adapter

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2016, 01:09 am »
Something like this for a stereo one quarter inch plug - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/hosa-mono-1-4-female--2-rca-male-y-cable?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CN2YqviI_9ACFUokgQoduzAB2Q&kwid=productads-adid^156727059247-device^c-plaid^267531919113-sku^333091000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2016, 01:35 am »
I wouldn't think that the microphone puts out enough voltage to just be used as an input component.

jobyts

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2016, 01:59 am »
Thanks Phil for the quick response. Will try the same one you pointed.

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2016, 02:13 am »
"Put simply, microphones don't send a strong enough signal for an AV receiver to use, compared to AV devices that send a signal at 'line level'. To use a microphone in your setup, you need a 'preamp' for the microphone. These are built into 'mixers', usually a dial marked 'gain'."

You are not going to get any volume.  You need a preamp for the mic.

jobyts

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2016, 04:30 am »
"Put simply, microphones don't send a strong enough signal for an AV receiver to use, compared to AV devices that send a signal at 'line level'. To use a microphone in your setup, you need a 'preamp' for the microphone. These are built into 'mixers', usually a dial marked 'gain'."

You are not going to get any volume.  You need a preamp for the mic.

Thanks Dminches. But the KWI200 does have a preamp in it, right? Is the preamp functionality bypassed for the RCA ports?

srb

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2016, 05:25 am »
Get a dedicated microphone preamp with 1/4" and XLR inputs/outputs, adjustable gain, limiter and phantom power.  That way you'll be able to accommodate and gain match most any microphone she might use as well as being able to supply +48V to a condenser microphone should she get one of those.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIC100

Steve

dminches

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2016, 12:48 pm »
Thanks Dminches. But the KWI200 does have a preamp in it, right? Is the preamp functionality bypassed for the RCA ports?

Think about the microphone like a phono cartridge.  It puts out a low voltage signal which needs to be stepped up.  Even though the KWI200 has a preamp it also needs a phono preamp in order to play records.  Same thing with a microphone.  You need a preamp between the microphone and the KWI200 preamp.  I think some others have suggested some inexpensive preamps that would work.

jobyts

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2017, 07:42 am »
I got my Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC200, the 1/4 output connected to the RCA ports of the KWI 200. I got the microphone working with the KWI 200. Now I face a problem that I previously did not think of.

I have a mac mini connected to the USB DAC port of the KWI200. That's how I listen to the youtube audio (video connected to the TV).

My daughter needs the youtube karaoke audio+video and she wants the microphone to sing along. At present, we can do either the youtube audio or the microphone. Is there a way to do this together?

With the KWI 200 DAC, I see an SPDIF port as well. Can I connect the Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC200 output (they provide one 1/4 and one XLR output) to the SPDIF input and do the microphone + macmini audio together?
Can the KWI200 DAC unit process signals from the SPDIF and USB port simultaneously?

Or please suggest the best way to achieve my requirement.

Thanks,
jobyts 

jobyts

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2017, 07:51 am »
Carefully looking at the KWI 200 backside picture, D1 mode is for USB and D2 mode is for SPDIF. So it looks like I cannot do it simultaneously  :(

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2017, 03:28 pm »
Simple.  When she sings, you work in the garage.  Arguing with a teenage daughter ranks right up there with arguing with your wife....

jobyts

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2017, 04:12 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: