Any plans for improved version LCR15 Center Speaker?

Alex_G

I really like my VR-4JR, LCR15, TS-150 speaker set. 

As much as I like LCR-15 capability, I believe it brings too much attention to itself by being completely out shadowed by the VR-4JR tremendous sound performance. 

The LCR-15 sounds almost muffled in comparison.

Is VSA planning to upgrade LCR-15 to better match VR-4JR sound quality?

Also, I would planning to invest in a solid preprocessor.  Has anyone tried Classe SSP-800 with VSA speakers.  If you did, what's are your thoughts?

-Alex

MichiganMike

Re: Any plans for improved version LCR15 Center Speaker?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2010, 09:00 pm »
As much as I like LCR-15 capability, I believe it brings too much attention to itself by being completely out shadowed by the VR-4JR tremendous sound performance.  The LCR-15 sounds almost muffled in comparison.
-Alex

I also found the LCR15 a somewhat disappointing center when combined with the VR4JR speakers.  My screen is mounted higher than the VR4JR, so I tried a VR2 as a center.  This was an improvement over the LCR15, but not a perfect match.  Unable to find a single VR4JR, I bought a second pair of VR4JR used for $2000 and now have three VR4JR as my left, center, right speakers with four TS150 speakers as side and rear surrounds.  This is a significant step up from the LCR15 center.  The fourth VR4JR is in storage. 

One reviewer (Tom Norton) suggested the VR4JR bass module might be set up horizontally and the MT Module placed on it when used as a center speaker.  I have not tried this orientation as I have the clearance for the conventional VR4JR set up as a center channel in my home theater.

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/he2006/060406VonSchwei/

"Von Schweikert does make a suitable center channel and surrounds, but for front projection I'd be inclined to try three VR-4jrs across the front, perhaps turning the sub module on its side if needed for the system to clear the screen (the top mid/tweeter module separates from the woofers in the Watt/Puppy style, but is not available separately)."
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2010, 12:35 pm by MichiganMike »

DKane

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2010, 04:17 pm »
The speaker you're looking forward to is the LCR-4...  A two-way beast that's been designed to match the VR4-jr's perfectly :drool:.  As I understand it, it's in production now and could show up on the website anytime.  I've had a standing order in with Albert for a couple months now for one of them and I've been told it should be ready for delivery early this month.  Give Albert a call!

Alex_G

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2010, 09:51 pm »
Thanks DKane :D

DKane

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:31 pm »
Alex_G...  You're welcome.  I'm attaching the press release that Albert sent to me a while back.  I think you'll find it interesting and informative.

Press Release

~ LCR-4 Center Speaker ~
Von Schweikert Audio, California

Murrieta, California.  October 1, 2009.  Von Schweikert Audio, a manufacturer of high end audiophile speaker systems, is pleased to announce the introduction of a new center channel speaker system, the LCR-4.  The suggested Retail Price is $1,795 each.

Designed for use with the VR-3, VR-33, VR-4, and VR-5 Series of speaker models, the new LCR-4 is a giant step forward in the area of vocal intelligibility at a reasonable price point.  This new center speaker uses very high quality drivers designed by Scanspeak of Denmark, the company who supplies Wilson, Magico, YG Acoustics, and other top quality manufacturers who use these drivers in systems costing up to $150,000/pr.
Since the twin 178mm (7”) bass-mids have to reproduce both the bass and midrange frequencies, it is a challenge to design a driver that will reproduce the human voice with extreme clarity, while also being asked to reproduce deep bass frequencies at a high volume level.  In order to obtain the maximum vocal intelligibility, the LCR-4 uses specially designed drivers that were optimized for this function, and consist of high-tech laminated cones driven by patented Low Distortion Motors.  The Revelator 1” tweeter has a long throw design, chambered rear cavity to reduce resonance, specially treated fabric dome, and the Low Distortion Motor.   This tweeter combines both high detail with extremely smooth sound, especially in the important vocal range.

LCR-4 SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency Response – 32Hz to 25kHz (+/- 3dB)

Impedance – 4 ohms nominal

Power Rating – 50 watts to 200 watts r.m.s.

Sensitivity – 90dB @ 1watt 1/meter

Size – 9.5” tall x 22” wide x 14” deep

Construction -  Triple-Layer laminated sandwich of resin impregnated MDF, artificial stone, and rubberized felt, 75mm total thickness, with honeycomb internal bracing.  This hi-tech wall eliminates the colorations found in competing systems and is one of our “secret weapons” in the vocal clarity of this model.  Bass loading is an infinite baffle, sealed box for maximum vocal clarity.

Bass/Mids – 2 pcs Scanspeak treated-paper units, 7” dia, with 38mm high power voice coils, Low Distortion Motors, cast frames, copper clad pole piece, and long throw suspensions.  This is the same driver used in speakers at $15,000/pr.

Tweeter – 1 pc Scanspeak silk dome Illuminator tweeter, Low Distortion Motor, rear chamber cup, cast metal frame, and Ferrofluid liquid cooling for high-temperature protection.  This tweeter is used in speakers costing $34,000/pr.

Input – One pair of WBT satin finish Rhodium plated five way binding posts/

Crossover – Fourth Order Global Axis Integration Network using premium film/foil caps, air core inductors, and metal film resistors,

Warranty – Ten Years, parts and labor (excluding abuse such as amplifier clipping).

steve_sf

• My Gear
« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:14 pm »
^^^ Beautiful!  :drool:

JackD201

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2010, 04:01 am »
With what looks like a promising start with the Unifield line, it looks like Albert's red table cloth is going to become iconic. If it ever goes on auction, I'm bidding!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ambiance

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:14 am »
This must be the missing link!

I have been waiting for a good center speaker to match with my VR4SR without costing all to mutch. This must be it!?   :thumb:

A.

Alex_G

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2010, 10:21 pm »
I also found the LCR15 a somewhat disappointing center when combined with the VR4JR speakers.  My screen is mounted higher than the VR4JR, so I tried a VR2 as a center.  This was an improvement over the LCR15, but not a perfect match.  Unable to find a single VR4JR, I bought a second pair of VR4JR used for $2000 and now have three VR4JR as my left, center, right speakers with four TS150 speakers as side and rear surrounds.  This is a significant step up from the LCR15 center.  The fourth VR4JR is in storage. 

One reviewer (Tom Norton) suggested the VR4JR bass module might be set up horizontally and the MT Module placed on it when used as a center speaker.  I have not tried this orientation as I have the clearance for the conventional VR4JR set up as a center channel in my home theater.

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/he2006/060406VonSchwei/

"Von Schweikert does make a suitable center channel and surrounds, but for front projection I'd be inclined to try three VR-4jrs across the front, perhaps turning the sub module on its side if needed for the system to clear the screen (the top mid/tweeter module separates from the woofers in the Watt/Puppy style, but is not available separately)."
Mike,
I’ve read somewhere that you’re using Classe gear.  Have you heard SSP-800 pre-processor?  I wander about SSP-800 sonic synergy with VR-4JR’s?
All the best,
Alex

Alex_G

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2010, 10:25 pm »
LCR-4 seems like a really nice addition…

azhtnut

« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2010, 03:39 am »
I posted this in another thread.  Here is Albert's reply to my question about upgrading the LCR-15 relative to a VR4-jr to VR4 SR MKIII upgrade.

"The LCR-15 can be upgraded to the same level, with the Scanspeak drivers and internal wall damping layer added.  The LCR-15 mod elevates the clarity by at least 100% and is $700 for all parts and labor.  You will most likely enjoy this mod while watching movies, as the dialog clarity is simply amazing!"

Alex_G

« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2010, 05:53 pm »
Thanks for the info…  Would you happen to know how the LCR-15 upgrade sounds compare to LCR-4?

At the moment I have the original VR-4JR speakers and want to make sure that I’m getting the best match between the mains and the center speaker...  In the future I’d definitely consider upgrading VR-4JR to MKIII. 

However after the center upgrade, my second biggest requirement is to upgrade my pre-processor. 

azhtnut

« Reply #12 on: 9 Mar 2010, 03:51 am »
Alex,

You have the same set up and similar requirements that I do.   I have an email into Albert about scheduling the upgrade of my VR4-jrs and LCR-15.  He previously responded to me that the duo upgrade would match very well together.   Here is his email on the VR4-jrs that preceded the email on the LCR-15 above:

"We have an incredible upgrade package, the “EuroMod Mk3” for the VR-4 Jr that elevates the performance and sound to our $14,000 VR-4 SR Mk3 version, soon to be reviewed in Positive Feedback magazine as “one of the best sounding speakers under $50,000/pr.”    All of the Chinese driver units and crossovers are replaced with top-of-the-line European parts, along with a substantial cabinet damping upgrade. We estimate the mod sounds 2 or 3 times better than the original.  The bass is FAR tighter and more defined, while the midrange and treble are incredibly improved in clarity and transparency.  The speaker simply will astound you – several customers that have had this mod installed can’t stop calling us to praise the sound quality.  This mod takes two technicians five days to accomplish and costs $2,500 for parts and labor.  You will have a new warranty as well, for 10 years."

Best regards,

Albert Von Schweikert
Chief Design Engineer

I also have a thread in the circle regarding changing to a new pre-amp and amplifier from my current Lexicon RV-8.  I am planning to bi-amp the upgraded to VR4-SR MKIIIs with a pre-amp and amplifiers.   I will still use the Lexicon for the Center and surrounds for HT material.

Marty

Alex_G

« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2010, 10:12 pm »
Azhtnut,

Have you asked Albert which center (LCR-4 or upgraded LCR-15) would better match upgraded VR-4jr’s?

azhtnut

« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2010, 05:43 am »
Alex,

I have not asked Albert this question.  With all the $$$ I'm putting into my HT, I'm going to stay with the upgrade to my LCR-15 rather than moving to the LCR-4.

M-