Almost a Newbie

lego4040

Almost a Newbie
« on: 14 Mar 2018, 09:58 pm »
Hello Folks, After a handful of guitar tube amps I decided to build my first stereo tube amp a few years ago. Its was a Budgie SE with Vintage matched Japanese 6BQ5's, Edcor Iron, good audio grade components and it sounds great. That was a few years ago now and Id like to build another, this time a SE stereo type 46 or 45 or the 807 Blueglow built. I found the simple 45 circuit as one choice but I having a hard time with a 46 choice. Presently on my bench is a Black Face Princeton Reverb Clone that I'm 70% completed with some Nos tube waiting to be sparked up. Any help on the 46 would be greatly appreciated

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Almost a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2018, 10:09 pm »
Welcome Lego4040 :thumb:
45 are an expensive tube and only 2W, but the 807/1625 are amazing tubes in SQ and very cheap in Russia, socket also cheap and prompt avaliable:
http://www.gstube.com/catalog/?key=807&submit=Find
Maybe you like to see this project:
http://www.tubeaudiolab.com/id226.html
8W in UL is pretty usable with many speakers for a nice $5 Russian 807, much better than $500 for a Chinese 300B.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2018, 10:20 pm »
Welcome!

lego4040

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2018, 10:27 pm »
Yes I have noticed the 807's are very inexpensive and look exquisite with the top caps. The 6SN7's weren't to expensive either  I just watched the whole series from Blueglow and the final product sounded very nice, as nice as you can possibly hear over a computer system. What was nice about that series is the fact that he used readily available parts and didn't have to take out a loan to build. Thanks for the link

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2018, 10:38 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC lego4040   :thumb:

lego4040

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2018, 11:22 pm »
Thanks, my wife asked why do I need another guitar amp when she saw this on the bench. Then said ah, who cares as long as your enjoying it again. On the Shelf is a Vox AC-15 clone and the Revibe "Sluckeyamps" design that I built. I have a 59 Tremulox 5EA-9 that is a must have in ones line up. On the shelf there is the SE EL84 stereo. I got draws of guitar pedals Ive built, Guitars Ive built and Cigar Box guitars too.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2018, 11:40 pm »
You should sell some stuff and inform her you are making money on it :wink:

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2018, 04:12 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, lego4040.