My Singlepower Supra Experience - Why mine almost blew up like a Hand Grenade (and yours might too)

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
Yes, Mikhail seems to be the most hated vendo at Head-fi.

I have owned a Singlepower Extreme Platinum for about three years and (knock on wood) it has worked perfectly for me and gets a lot of use.  My understanding is that the Supra (a more expensive Singlepower amp) is a design mess, but the lower priced Singlepower amps have more simple circuit designs.  These amps (the Extreme and MPX) are well-regarded and generally seem reliable. At least I don't hear a lot of complaints that these amps fail frequently, let alone "blow up like a hand grenade."

That said, I would not buy from Singlepower again, as much as I enjoy my Extreme.  Mikhail does not seem to be delivering amps once they are paid for -- so buying is not really an option anyway.  Moreover, the apparent death spiral of his business that is a result of an increasingly bad reputation means that his amps will not sell easily in the used market and will not be easy to repair.

I own a SinglePower MPX3, factory maxxed out, for several years now without problems.  The tube adaptors that I purchased later from Mikhail (7n7, 2c51, ecc1, 5687) are fantastic and let me appreciate those tubes in addition to 6sn7 and 6bx7, among other types.

eibhlin

Singlepower's rep is down the toilet.  He has screwed a bunch of people over to the tune of thousands of dollars.  There are threads over at Head-Fi that discuss it.  He owes people money and amps.  There is little chance if any that any of them will get either.  It is a huge mess.  There are a number of amps that are having problems and people are scrambling to find people to fix them.
ditto.

Wayne1

FWIW, I have heard recently from Kevin Gilmore. He has verified 17 Extremes and 6 MPXs with toasted transformers.

Wayne1

Here are a couple of photos of a Singlepower Supra before and after repairs.

First shot is stock.

Next is with new diodes for HV and rectifiers and wiring dressed up a bit. Resistors have been added across the juice can caps.

Here is a small chassis Extreme with a new transformer from Edcor.

HV diodes were replaced and film caps were added across the output caps.

Here is the same amp with the transformer cover on.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Nice work Wayne  :thumb:

How does ir sound?

Ed

Are you going to RMMAF and what room are you displaying in?

Wayne1

Ed,

The Supra sounded real nice. The Extreme needs quite a bit of time for the new parts to break in.

I just received word that the output transformers for Tyson's Supra rebuild have finally arrived. That should be quite a project.

I will be at RMAF but I will not be officially showing. Lou Hinkley of Daedalus Audio is letting me use his room after hours for some demos of the modded DUET. If I get Tyson's amp done in time, I am hoping he might be willing to show it in the Head-fi section. If not, maybe Lou will let me bring it in after hours, if Tyson agrees.

If you want to meet up, PM me and I'll give you my cell number.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Ed,

The Supra sounded real nice. The Extreme needs quite a bit of time for the new parts to break in.

I just received word that the output transformers for Tyson's Supra rebuild have finally arrived. That should be quite a project.

I will be at RMAF but I will not be officially showing. Lou Hinkley of Daedalus Audio is letting me use his room after hours for some demos of the modded DUET. If I get Tyson's amp done in time, I am hoping he might be willing to show it in the Head-fi section. If not, maybe Lou will let me bring it in after hours, if Tyson agrees.

If you want to meet up, PM me and I'll give you my cell number.

Would love to hear your DUET. You had one of the few rooms with a computer source that i liked last year at RMAF.  :thumb:

jks327

Hey!

Whoa! What the hell was he thinking? :evil:

I could over look the messy wiring somewhat but using parts rated below needed is just plain stupid  :nono:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

You would probably find light switches in his house connected to Bell System cable.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Singlepower (and yours probably won't either)
« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2010, 09:07 pm »
I noted the wild stories about Single Power based on one guys panic.  The interesting 'over the top' style of panic in the posts is sad, but also just funny.
I recently (April 2010) bought a SinglePowerMPX3 off the goN' just to have such a notorious head amp.
I was running it with three 6BL7s.. (got 16 free with it) Best sound with them. After five hours the case was about as warm as i could keep my hand on. including the area with the Rectifier, and the top of the tranny case.
 I guess describing "blowing up like hand grenades" is to scare folks, not inform them. Hand grenades usually cause great bodily harm and quit a bit of physical property damage. Lets think for a minute: a big cap blows in a cage. you get a loud pop, and at worst some small flames. The Caps case might snap and some goo flies out, not a: "hand grenade" The goo may be hot enough to case second degree burns if you happened to be standing right on top of it
The tranny may actually get too hot and start to self destruct: the smell will tell you that you are in trouble. So, lets see, smell equals problem. Didn't everyone already know that? I did. Tearing apart the tranny housing to inspect it for problems, yeah, one could.. but why? If it is a problem your nose will tell you.
Since more of these were sold than the small universe at head Fi can account for, and of course, the folks who go to Head Fi and ignored the panic, just as i did, and all of these so called dangerous headamps out there: where are all the accidents, fires, explosions that would pop up in the internet? We have ONE guy panicking, and a dealer who will fix them (nice of him).
I prefer common sense.
The headamp would best not be left running with no one home. Agreed, any tube product and the tubes are not in a sealed case this is a good idea. The tranny may not be up to spec. Agree this is not good. melting trannies have happened. It is not armageddon. Just use it, if it starts to smell like burning insulation.. your Singlepower tranny is toast, if not, use it, it may just outlive you.
Blowing up big caps is also not good. i wouldn't worry about losing a arm or a leg if it blows. A loud POP is usually all you get. At worst (actually rare) it will break the steel shell around the cap, and sput some icky goo. i might possibly start burning (even rarer). Anything youu own that has big caps may do this. (and IMO may be just as likely to do it, even though the SinglePower caps are not well implemented) Again, think. How many of these are in the news? none. zero, no explosions,..from thousands out ther. AND the many, many used by folks who do not go the Head Fi. but  who would post about a such a disaster on the web. How many? zero, repeat zero. And of course, our hero can say his warning saved everyone, and they ALL stopped using the amps. My comment about the thousands of these and many who never heard of Head Fi stands.
I plan on using MY new to me Single Power MPX3 with tons of goodies and three over the top tubes, 6BL7s.. and HAVE already since I got it, for many many hours of pure enjoyment with my Senn HD800 phones.
I do not want to 'diss' the folks with the warnings. They may feel afraid. They may want to sae everyone from pain, and keep them clear of danger. i think people can and will decide for themselves what they want to do.
As for me, I use my SinglePower. Hope you can decide for yourself too.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2010, 11:27 pm by Elizabeth »

sts9fan

So your saying ingnore the poor build and pay the $$$?

Elizabeth

Singlepower Experience -yours might be just fine
« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2010, 11:15 pm »
You can attempt to reinterpret what i posted, however i did not say anything about 'ignoring the poor build quality'
i said the Single Power amps can still be used. This decision should be made in a rational manner, not in some panic response to something someone created a nearly hysterical (IMO) splash over.
The $$$ question can only be answered by the people who already bought one, or plan on buying one. As for money invested, if one felt as the original poster that it is worth going over, then, at this point, I agree, one can certainly have someone go over the product and have it brought up to some better standard. (though, from the PICS OF the original poster SinglePower, inside 'after', it still is just a hack job made as best can be done, better.)  this is not a slight on Boulder, who repaired the amp in a cost conscious manner.
Many Singlepower amps are far better in build quality than the one 'exposed.
I have to say, upon opening mine (the so called stripped screws are not such: the nuts are loose  inside, and merely tensioning the head of the screws outward can allow the screw to unscrew) That mine is a beautiful build, actually has a nice circuit board, and all the wire, soldering exemplary, and MOST of the parts of high quality.
I wish to help some realize one example is not the entire product line.
Aside from what bad things the creator of this product did to, and took from, folks in terms of money, trust, goodwill.. The products in the hands of users remain.. and those products are my only interest. If a few folks think no one should use ANY of them out of a sense of duty to the people who were cheated, so that ALL will suffer. That may be an opinion, however I hope those who wish for this, can understand those who ignore that sentiment.
The general 'hazing' of Single Power stuff (and even other owners who are still happy!)  over the entire manufacturing and payments made, product upgrades paid for and never done..At minimum should be stopped  towrd other owners, who did nothing wrong, except still enjoy a product they fairly paid for, and have every right to enjoy.
As for value. I would think each person can and should decide in a self enlightened way whether to use, or fix, or discard such a product. Without hysteria blinding them.
I have been in the Audio hobby for a long time.. and can decide for myself if the product i bought is worth keeping and using as is, worth getting a few parts upgraded, or just to put a a shelf as a testament to one builder's folly.
I have to say, the comments to my posts at another site about this SinglePower thing .. I had to remind others that I can read, i can decide things within my own mind. I do not need someone else to tell me what i should think, or decide, or do.
I most of all want people to think for themselves in this matter. The one sided 'expose' of the SinglePower, as if all are exactly the same, is unfair to those who daily enjoy using theirs. i also want to break the fear that this 'expose' has created, which is the same sort that exists when any crusader sets out to save 'everyone'. Perhaps some few do need to be told what to do. Then, for them, the whole 'grenade' affair is awake up call to at least have someone who can decide, look at the product.
And then of course, is the cloud of 'group think' that has enveloped this topic. Many of the posters 'attacking' (basically just insulting me) me, are sort of defending turf. They decided to jump on the 'Hand Grenade" bandwagon, and feel insulted if some person says that is silly. Sorry, it is still just silly, your feeling bad that it IS silly sould be as regret that you got suckered, not anger at the person who pointed it out.
Thank you.
(Moderators: and if, in this long rambling post, I have violated the rules of AudioCircle, please let me know what i did wrong. I have no intention  of creating havoc. I will try hard to comply with any rules about conflicts and name calling)

sts9fan

I don't think it's against the rules to rehash six month old posts with verbose responses. 

JDUBS

Re: Singlepower Experience -yours might be just fine
« Reply #32 on: 19 May 2010, 03:22 am »
You can attempt to reinterpret what i posted, however i did not say anything about 'ignoring the poor build quality'
i said the Single Power amps can still be used. This decision should be made in a rational manner, not in some panic response to something someone created...

This post made me sleepy, but I woke up when I realized how happy I am not to be the insurance company that provides your homeowners insurance.

-Jim

Elizabeth

Re: My Singlepower, a Super Experience
« Reply #33 on: 19 May 2010, 03:41 am »
JKS 327 dredged it up from the depths, I saw it on the front page as 'recent responses'.
Long discussions are harder to read, I realize some cannot hold any attention for more than fifteen words.. they drift off due to ADD. I guess I do not write for the ADD crowd. Short simple concepts written in simple language. I'll try harder, but may not succeed.
As for insurance: this is one of those "group think' type of attacks I mentioned. Anything to attack the person who suggests the sky is NOT falling,( exposing the chicken Little mentality) gets attacked in whatever form the offended party can whip up. This veiled threat comes in the form of: "we don't have to 'get' you. the insurance company will and THEY will punish you for your ignoring our message when what we said WILL come to pass"
If the 'insurance' poster realizes we each make our own choices, what is it to him? Thus he actually proves my point over the 'group think' problem.
Thank you.

JohnR

Elizabeth - you could just post some pictures of the inside of yours...?

Watson

Re: My Singlepower, a Super Experience
« Reply #35 on: 19 May 2010, 11:54 am »
As for insurance: this is one of those "group think' type of attacks I mentioned. Anything to attack the person who suggests the sky is NOT falling,( exposing the chicken Little mentality) gets attacked in whatever form the offended party can whip up.

It's not "group think" or fearmongering to assert that these amplifiers are dangerous. It's reality. These are not low voltage amplifiers. 350V is easily capable of killing a person. Exploding capacitors are capable of blinding a person.

In these amplifiers, high voltage switches are significantly underrated, exposed capacitors are overvoltaged, the ends of wires are left hanging to sag and risk contact with the chassis, etc. Those are engineering realities.

It terrifies me that people may be using canalphone-type headphones with these amplifiers (Etymotics, Shures, etc.). It would be impossible to get the things out of one's ears if high voltage was shunted to the signal lines.

I'm not going to tell you how to live your life, but if you do want to do some reading to understand what the real risks are, there are very good threads over at DIYAudio on high voltage safety (see the tube forum), or see Morgan Jones' "Building Valve Amplifiers" book.

sts9fan

Long discussions are harder to read, I realize some cannot hold any attention for more than fifteen words.. they drift off due to ADD. I guess I do not write for the ADD crowd. Short simple concepts written in simple language. I'll try harder, but may not succeed.

If you stick around you may find some of us have at least a 6th grade reading comprehension.
Do you consider fluffing a product you just bought a complex concept that requires such a response?  I guess if you want to muddy the original point and push an agenda it does.  Getting you message across concisely is a skill I understand not everyone has so I will give you a pass.     
Also, long has nothing to do with difficult, boring, condescending and redundant does.   

minimus

I agree with Elizabeth.  I think the anger about Singlepower's thievery morphed into virtual hysteria about the safety of Singlepower amps on Head-fi, where the mob mentality rules.  Singlepower was around for a long time and sold a lot of amps. I am still waiting to hear of any owner being electrocuted, blinded, injured by exploding shrapnel, or left homeless after his house burned down thanks to his faulty Singlepower amp.  But, of course, get your Singlepower amp checked out by a qualified tech.  At a minimum, you can sleep easier at night.

Elizabeth

"these amplifiers are dangerous" isn't this groupthink?  you classify ALL OF THEM as dangerous because of one persons (genuine, but over the top) raving claim, and a few 'testimonials'.
Thousands of products are made with tube circuits. How many folks have been electrocuted by tubes circuits lately? How many by a Singlepower product? Can you name one person seriously injured?
Exploding caps same issue: how many have had an eye injury due to a Singlepower product? Your response: "....but it could happen". they are more likely to stick a fork in there eye IMO.
The pics of wires going through holes on a board, or through a punched hole in a chassis...  it is a gross exaggeration to cry about 'fraying wires". In fact NO wires were frayed, nor damaged.
Canal type headphones... Just how much amperage do you think is gonna make it through those canal phones to electrocute the wearer? Since the wires would melt WAY befor a powerful enough current could occur. Fearmongering at it's worst! YOU are just blowing hot air to scare people.
If these amps are so dangerous, then why are there no reports of: "blinded by exploding cap" nor: electrocuted by earphones" Because it is all fantasy created to scare twentysomethings and teens, and make you feel better that you 'did something'.
Anyone older probably has enough common sense to see through your sillyness.
And I applaud the fact that someone claims they have at least sixth grade reading skills/education. Good to know that in America, we teach our kids well enough that they can actually read a simple paragraph. Good for the U.S.A. educational system!!!!
And at least one person agrees the response to the "single Power affair" was too much.
Feel free to respond.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 01:32 am by Elizabeth »

Johnny2Bad

For sure these amps would not pass the CE labs label and be sold in Europe.
There are no "Labs". CE is self-certifying ... if the manufacturer says it complies, it complies and the little logo goes on.
Underwriter's Laboratory (an agent of the Insurance Industry in the USA) and Canada Standards Association (an agent of the Government of Canada) test products for safety compliance (and can test and certify to each other's standard; ie UL-C is equivalent and recognized as complying with CSA; CSA-US is equivalent to UL, etc).
Most of the rest of those little icons that pollute the products are self-certifying ... the manufacturer pays a fee, attests they comply, and that's that. There may well be safety labs that operate in Europe that require submission for electrical safety, but CE is not one of them.