Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

mojoman

« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2004, 07:04 pm »
Quote from: zeke
Coco Montoya ---  small venue ----  this guy can play the blues ............

I agree with that zeke (hey, that's my cat's name). I've seen him a couple of times and the man can smoke a guitar.  I would have loved to have seen the incarnation of the BlueBreakers that feature Coco and Walter Trout on guitars.

mcrespo71

« Reply #21 on: 1 May 2004, 07:40 pm »
Dervie and I just saw Jewel at Carnegie Hall for a completely acoustic set.  This was hands down the finest sounding rock concert I have ever been to.  As Isaac Stern stated, Carnegie Hall is it's own instrument and what a glorious hall it is.  Jewel had very little in terms of speakers/amps to blow us out with, so it was really just her and the hall.  Really amazing stuff.  IMO, anyone who thinks that stereos can sound better than live music has not been to Carnegie Hall.

Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #22 on: 1 May 2004, 08:17 pm »
Mojoman,

Although I haven't seen you perform in a few years, I just wanted to say thank you and that you have been one of my favorite bands for the past 10 years!   :beer:

From seeing you at small bars/clubs in Rochester, NY to the Beacon Theater in the city to the Meadows in Hartford, to the Meadowlands, Rusted Root has always put on shows where you were pulled into the music and didn't stop moving until the show was over.  

I look forward to seeing you perform in the future.

George

gongos

« Reply #23 on: 1 May 2004, 09:10 pm »
I saw Kraftwerk in Seattle. One of the best shows I've ever seen. I also went to see Bowie. Another amazing show.

cjr888

« Reply #24 on: 2 May 2004, 02:17 am »
Just got back from listening to jazz...and watching cartoons.

At the last minute saw that Don Byron had been doing Bug Music for the last week or so and that there was a show tonight, so grabbed a ticket in 3rd row and went.  Good stuff.  Half geared towards kids, half towards adults, but I always enjoyed what he had done with the album, so it was great to see it live, hear the dialogue in between....as well as the cartoons.

http://theater2.nytimes.com/gst/theater/tdetails.html?id=1082623819565

Seeing Damien Rice on Monday, and bought tickets to see Ben Folds, Rufus Wainwright, and Guster at Summerstage.  Someone want to give me Ben Folds tickets for the 5/5 Bowery Ballroom show?

mojoman

« Reply #25 on: 6 May 2004, 12:17 am »
Hey zybar, I really appreciate the props but I'm not Michael Glabicki.  That's just a quote from him I like that I use in my sig. because it sums up in a few words how I feel about music and why I love it so much.  Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

But anyway, I love Rusted Root and they've been one of my favorite bands for many years too.  Drum Trip, Ecstasy and Send Me On My Way on When I Woke just might be my all time favorite opening three songs on any album I've ever heard.    Drum Trip is awesome on a properly configured Dolby Pro Logic II system in music mode.  Send chills up my spine.  

Again, sorry for the confusion.

-bill

Quote from: zybar
Mojoman,

Although I haven't seen you perform in a few years, I just wanted to say thank you and that you have been one of my favorite bands for the past 10 years!   :beer:

From seeing you at small bars/clubs in Rochester, NY to the Beacon Theater in the city to the Meadows in Hartford, to the Meadowlands, Rusted Root has always put on shows where you were pulled into the music and didn't stop moving until the show was over.  

I look forward to seeing you perform in the future.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #26 on: 6 May 2004, 12:41 am »
Oops!   :oops:

Well at least you like Rusted Root.

George

mojoman

« Reply #27 on: 6 May 2004, 12:56 am »
If I were Michael, I'm sure my life would be a lot more interesting.

Carlman

« Reply #28 on: 6 May 2004, 01:20 am »
I saw Rusted Root in concert last year in Philadelphia.  What a let down.  It was mostly country-esque stuff.  Maybe it got better after a couple of hours but, that was all my wife and I could take.  The venue itself was an old warehouse and sounded like it.  Sound quality was like a really loud garage band.  My ears couldn't take it on top of the countrification of the music.  My wife and I decided his girlfriend had been begging him to go this route so they were giving it a shot.  Oh well.  They did play a few older songs that were pretty good...

-C

bob82274

« Reply #29 on: 6 May 2004, 03:31 am »
Went and saw Jimmy Buffett last week...  seats were fairly good.  They were close but they were behind the stage (in a basketball arena).  I grew up a parrothead so it was great to finally go to a concert.  The night would have been great if my car hadn't been totaled by a drunk driver.  Talk about being pissed. :x

ohenry

« Reply #30 on: 7 May 2004, 02:49 pm »
I saw John Hiatt last night in Charlotte doing a 2.5 hour solo act using acoustic 6 and 12 string guitars, electric guitar and electric piano.  The sound was great and he was on top of his game.  I had seen him before with the Goners, but that venue really showcased his musicianship.

Check his web site to catch him if possible, it was a treat to see him solo.

mojoman

The Wailers
« Reply #31 on: 8 May 2004, 03:31 pm »
We went to Cat's Cradle last night to see the Wailers play some reggae and they were excellent.  It was the last weekend of school in Chapel Hill and the place was packed.   The Wailers are touring as a 10 piece band so the stage was about as crowded as the rest of the bar.  As for the music, they played all the hits, I think I knew every song that they played and crowd sing alongs were not unusual.  Good stuff... Trenchtown Rock, Lively Up Yourself, Redemption Song, Exodus, Get Up Stand Up, Stir It Up, No Women No Cry, War and many more.  Set clocked in at about 2 hours 15 minutes and was a lot of fun.  Someone told me that there are still 4 members of the original band.  Catch 'em if you get the chance.

witchdoctor

Yes Concert
« Reply #32 on: 14 May 2004, 11:40 pm »
I went to see Yes last night at MSG. They sucked! I have seen Yes 6 or 7 times before and am a devoted fan. The band just did not have the trademark punchy bass and drum playing of the past. The low end seemed like they were trying to keep up, espescially on drums. The one exception was the tune Yours is No Disgrace which seemed very well rehearsed. It was their 35th anniversary so I give them credit for longevity.

mojoman

Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers
« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2004, 02:07 pm »
I woke up Sunday morning and discovered in the morning paper that Jimmy Thackery would be playing Sunday afternoon at the Raleigh Artsplosure outdoor arts/crafts/music festival.  The best part was it was free so I made a couple of phone calls and soon had a small contingent of interested fans and we headed downtown.

I've seen Thackery many times and he never disappoints, this set was no exception.  The Drivers only had an hour or so to play so they came out smokin' and floored it.   They ripped through songs from their new cd True Stories as well as selections from Sinner Street and Drive to Survive.  A highlight came when Jimmy played his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.  They closed the set out with a killer version of Jr. Walker and the Allstars Shotgun that featured a superb sax solo by Jimmy Carpenter.

Jimmy Thackery has to be one of the best blues rock guitarist playing today.  Comparisons to SRV are not undeserved.  See 'em if you get the chance, you won't be disappointed.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #34 on: 26 May 2004, 08:06 pm »
Quote from: Eric
Leo Kottke was the latest for me

I saw him last fall - great show

cjr888

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jun 2004, 12:04 pm »
Saw The Samples on Monday night at the Stanhope House in NJ.  Great show and typical great energy and fun from the band.  Was the first show where they started burning recordings of the show immediately after close, so it was great to take home a recording the second you walked out the door.  Bill, the drummer is from the area and have hung out a few times recently, and I think he's filled the position as drummer very, very well.

Have other commitments, but may see a friend of mine, Dave Murphy play at Maxwell's in Hoboken this Saturday, who is opening for Mike Doughty (lead from Soul Coughing).  Depending on whether he's solo or with the band, it may be him and an acoustic guitar or electric, and more folk/country/americana, or more a combination of that  but leaning more towards rock.  Either way, a great guy, a great songwriter, and a great voice.  If you're in the Hoboken area, check him out (www.murphyworld.com)

mojoman

Jerry Douglas
« Reply #36 on: 7 Jun 2004, 02:06 am »
I caught  Jerry Douglas and his band last night  at the NC Museum of Art.  What an amazing show.  Douglas can take one dobro and make it sound like he's playing 3 instruments at once.  His band was equally good and his guitar player chipped in some very nice solos of his own.  The word virtuoso gets used quite often to discribe excellent players but Douglas is truly a virtuoso.   He played a one hour and fifty minute set and it seemed like it was over in no time at all.  A great night of acoustic music.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #37 on: 1 Jul 2004, 10:58 pm »
Just noticed that the David Grisman Quintet will be playing at the Neighborhood Theater in Charlotte on July 8. I believe that also includes Tony Rice on guitar. Anyone seen their show?

here is clarification:
In the Quintet: David Grisman, Enrique Coria, Joe Craven, Jim Kerwin & Matt Eakle

Interesting - they allow taping of the show! Maybe I can videotape...

cjr888

« Reply #38 on: 2 Jul 2004, 10:57 am »
You can't go wrong with a Grisman show.  Go for it.

Jumpin

Chris Isaak
« Reply #39 on: 12 Jul 2004, 05:31 pm »
Saturday at Resorts International.  He always puts on a fun show, Saturday was no exception.  He did an acoustic set which was very nice, including a cover of Roy Orbison's Only the Lonely.

We were close, sound was good, not great.  The 3 vodkas helped.

Mark