Open baffle - first attempts

harry potter

Open baffle - first attempts
« on: 6 Mar 2015, 12:33 am »
Hi Folks,

I am new to this site and wanted to air my views on my foray into open baffle speakers. Hope some of this is of interest!

I have two pairs - one pair for Home theatre: Hawthorn Silver Iris 10'' co-axials with compression drivers and one pair for stereo listening - Audio Nirvana Super 12'' cast frame full range.

They were both built in my garage with the following minimal equipment;

- A two speed drill
- 2 clamps
- a hacksaw
- a small electric jigsaw
- a small tool kit - hammer, pliers, spirit level, screwdriver, set square, ruler, etc
- a small folding picnic table
- assorted nuts and bolts, rubber grommets and washers and plastic grills

The materials are from various sources:

- IKEA - Assorted coloured kitchen door cupboards and handles ($30 per door)
- 2 black aluminium fence posts from the hardware store ($30 each)
- 2 black angle brackets ($15 a pair)
- 4 pieces of high density foam, cut with the jigsaw ($17 a piece)
- 2 plastic gutter leaf traps ($15 a pair)
- 10'' OB speakers from Hawthorne Audio - $258 a pair - including high compression drivers and minimal
crossovers
- 12'' OB speakers from Audio Nirvana (Common sense Audio) $250 off E Bay (normally $328 a pair)
- assorted nuts, bolts, spikes, cupboard bolts, washers and rubber grommets - $100

Each speaker takes about 5 hours to assemble from scratch and you can be listening to them that evening.

The sound..............let's talk about how good they sound!

1. The bass ! OB bass is way better than box bass. It sounds more real and is full sounding like a real
instrument. It goes deep enough with a 10'' speaker driver for jazz, female vocals, small ensembles etc but
likes support for heavy tracks like dub, and reggae. Here I supplement the 10'' with a 12'' passive non vented
sub. This fills in the bottom end and the bass is then awesome - with great impact.
2. The midrange! This is where the OB's are really excellent. They produce the most realistic voices and
diction. They are non fatiguing and I can listen to mine for hours. They are particularly good with jazz and
and piano and bass instruments. The sound scape is tangible, if using them as point source monitors.
3. The top end is sweet, clear and non brittle with both sets of speakers and is integrated into the mix very
well. I would say the are an overall excellent way to listen to music. They do not get louder when you turn up
the volume........the sound just gets bigger!

You may feel that I an going overboard about these speakers but I must say in 30 years of buying expensive hi fi equipment, These are my best buy ever. Plus, it also feels good to make something that actually lives up to it's expectations.

Open baffle sounds are exactly what people said they should be (the best source of info on the subject without doubt is Darrel Hawthorne - of Hawthorne Audio)

A few words of caution - they need to be tweaked.

- My pairs both sound better on spiked stands, tilted back 7-10 degrees
- the tube stands and are filled with sand and all the fittings are rubber mounted very tightly
- they like to be toed in a little
- they sound great at about 9-10 feet apart, pulled out from the back wall at least 15'' and side walls about a
metre

But apart from those few issues they are fit and forget..............and the more you play them the better they sound.

I wonder why I have not done this DIY thing before!!!!!

Regards Harry Potter

Guy 13

Re: Open baffle - first attempts
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2015, 03:23 am »
Hi harry potter and welcome to Audio Circle.
Nice work and nice set-up.
According to the pictures look like you don't have any acoustic treatment,
is that something on your wish list or you like the sound as is?
Like you, for many years I bought expensive equipment until I discover
the magic of Open Baffle Dipole, now I am done with looking for the best,
I might not have the best of the best, but never been so satisfied with a system
Might be a good idea to share with us the makes/models of your equipment.
Thanks.

Guy 13 on planet Vietnam.
But soon moving back to my home country (Montreal) Canada after 20 years
on planet Vietnam. (Saigon)

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2015, 04:12 am »
Try pulling them out about one meter from the back wall so they're equidistant from the back and side walls and see if you get better sound.

harry potter

Re: System for driving Open baffles
« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2015, 09:13 am »
Hi Guys,

Some of you have requested we share information on our systems.

Here is my humble stereo set up in my lounge room.

1. Valve Amp Class A modified Music Angel (modified with remote control and tube rolling) Triode (30 watts) or Ultra linear operation (50 watts) with EL34 Mullard and Tung Sol tubes
2. HDCD tube player - Yaqin SD 32A - with Sylvania Black Gate tubes
3. Digitech T amp - (50 watts) driving a DAB tuner from Jaycar Electronics
4. The Zhaolu 2.5D DAC with headphone amplifier
5. Dayton Audio SA230 230W Subwoofer Amplifier
6. Home made 12'' sealed narrow enclosure subwoofer
7. Project RPM 5 with 9'' carbon fibre arm and K9 cartridge (recently sold)

The whole lot cost less than the price of a good moving coil cartridge or my previous turntable without an arm.

Cheers Harry P.

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2015, 09:23 am »
Thanks Harry for sharing.

Guy 13

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2015, 12:41 pm »
A very cool couple of builds there.

Hawthorne has a great reputation, tons of folks out there loving what they build.  I have never owned a set, but know many who enjoy them.

I like the visuals of your build.  The way you used black and white looks very modern, and sorting out so many pre-made pieces into what looks great is a cool idea!

Thanks for sharing, and glad that you have found great sound.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2015, 02:49 pm »
Great work...and welcome to AC!  One complaint...you are now fueling my desire/need to
have a pair or more of my own. :D