Where's the big 3.7 vs JansZen comparison?

titaniumheads

Re: Where's the big 3.7 vs JansZen comparison?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Apr 2014, 08:20 pm »
Ok, finally going to post my comparison. First my room is 14 x 24 with the speakers on the 14 wall. I have full length GIK  bass Tri traps in the front corners and a 7'x4' diffuser on back wall with a few Gik 242 panels on sidewalls. I had the mags about 5 feet out into the room and about 18" out from the sidewalls to the edge. The Janszens I moved to about 2 feet out from front wall and 2 feet from sidewalls. My rig consists of Pass Labs XA100.5 monos, Pass labs xp-10 Pre, Sony Xa5400 cd player and Vortexbox with flac streaming to squeezebox touch. The previous speakers I have owned and had in the room were, Paradigm S2v2, Paradigm S6v2, Dynaudio C1 and Dynaudio C2. Then I bought the Mags and paired them with 2 JL audio F113s. The mags beat all the Prior speakers in sound quality but without the subs the Dynaudio C2 just edged out the Mags.  So back to the Janszens, I tried them first without subs and the woofer setting at +3, for Jazz and most music no sub was needed. After listening with 1 sub in and out I decided to keep one sub hooked up and cross it over at 35Hz, mainly for some music I listen to that has added bass such as Sigour Rios.  for the Mags I crossed them at 45 hz and used 2 subs, in my room with no subs the Mags lacked enough bass to satisfy me. I moved  my seating position to be the same distance from
the speakers at 9-6". I honesty had thought I had made a mistake in ordering the Janszens when most of the members of an audio club I belong to told me I would most likely be sending them back, but my  thinking was the most I would be out is the return shipping if I didn't like them with the 30 day trial. It didn't take me long after listening to them that I wouldn't be sending them back. I was also hoping it wasn't just the euphoria of a new toy making me biased, but I have to say I like them more now than when I received them 2 weeks ago. Every speaker I have had in the past always left me wanting something more, more realistic sounding. These are the closest I have had yet, I am not saying they are the end all but I am saying that lately its been a curse to turn the system on and let the amps warm up because once I start listening I have a hard time getting away from it. I even had to buy a dedicated Ekorn Stressless chair because my back was killing me from sitting on the couch for so long. I have never listened for such extended periods with my other speakers. So you are probably wanting to know why I like them better than the mags. Okay, I have always read that when you hear something that's right you just know it and to my ears these just sound right. What attracts me to them is the combination of correct tone, incredible resolution, pinpoint imaging and something that draws me deeper into the music the longer I listen. It is a different sound than the maggies and maybe I just like the electrostatic sound and its just me. The best way I can describe it is when you are in the sweet spot which is pretty wide but not very tall it sounds like the best pair of headphones you have heard only your not wearing them on your head, you have crawled inside them.

jsm71

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2014, 03:22 pm »
titaniumheads, I'm glad you found a setup that is working well for you.  These speakers are indeed very easy to settle in with once setup well.  I've heard plenty of very grand speakers that are impressive, but none that sound more correct.  I laughed at your comment about getting a better chair.  I use Ikea's Poang chairs and footstools in my room.  I will admit to dozing off and missing some music on occasion.  Thank God for the Qup device on my turntable.  :lol:   

Pryso

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2014, 04:01 pm »
"most of the members of an audio club I belong to told me I would most likely be sending them back"  :roll:

Must say that quote made me wonder, how many of those nay-sayers had heard the zA2.1?  It is funny how preconceptions can govern us and that is certainly true in this audio hobby.  My years, decades actually, of experience at least taught me the importance of keeping an open mind.  As I've related elsewhere, I would not have purchased the Janszens based solely on my first hearing.  But fortunately I did hear enough good things to follow through with an in-home audition.  To repeat myself, it was a totally different speaker when I heard it in my room with my gear and set up.

So yes, opinions from friends can sometimes be useful.  But we need to understand the basis for their opinions before giving them credibility.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2014, 10:06 pm »
They sound like a winner.
Are the 3.7s up for sale?

titaniumheads

« Reply #24 on: 24 Apr 2014, 02:31 pm »
Not yet but soon, now is not the best time to sell them, since the 3.7i came out and quite a few were dumped on audiogon the value has dropped to under 4k. probably would be lucky to get near that amount.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2014, 09:58 pm »
Yeah, that would be a bit of a hit, wouldn't it?
Perhaps if you have the room you could set them up as part of a second system.

SwamisCat

« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2014, 01:53 pm »
Heard the JansZens at AXPONA.  These speakers are definitely not for me.

That said, just about every room sounded terrible.  I simply do not comprehend what demonstrators are going for. Do audiophiles want boomy bass? Does anyone want yo hear Magicos with their chairs backed up to the rear wall? Does nobody listen for imaging and depth anymore? Do people want two hundred thousand dollars speakers that make vocalists sound like they have ten foot heads?

I guess I listen for something different.

One of the speakers that showed well was the King IIIs. There were a few other exceptions though.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 27 Apr 2014, 02:06 pm »
For those that don't know, there is an Axpona thread here.