Ortofon Cadenza Black! Oh My!

Sonny

Re: Ortofon Cadenza Black! Oh My!
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jan 2015, 06:14 pm »
Here's a video I did this weekend with Dire Straits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVYOhi3mByU&feature=youtu.be

Sonny

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jan 2015, 07:26 pm »
Some close up of the Ortofon Cadenza Black!

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2015, 10:23 pm »
Yes, I think you would get much more out of the Cadenza Black with a better phono pre...though the Simaudio is nice...but don't they have a higher end one?  I have a nice DIY preamp that I may be open to letting you borrow.

I think we may have met before a while ago, maybe at an audio meet: I remember your username.

But yes, Simaudio has their Evolution 610LP and 810LP phono stages that can be paired with their Evolution 820S power supply, which are several thousand more than the 310LP + 320S pair. I may upgrade later. :)

shaizada

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jan 2015, 09:39 pm »
Man, this table just looks spectacular...thanks so much for posting that video Tuan!
The build quality and execution of materials with shape, design and overall aesthetics is simply amazing. 
Doesn't feel like a DIY effort.  Looks better than the VPI Prime!

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2015, 03:53 am »
I have a Cadenza Black also.  Barely broken in and love it.

Just for fun I decided to also try an Ortofon Silver Meister SPU.
Not getting rid of the black......gonna keep em both because
swapping them on my ortofon 12" arm is a snap

Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8KkhdoYLZU&feature=youtu.be

Sonny

« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2015, 04:17 pm »
Thanks for loading and sharing the SPU set.  Very nice!  So which do you prefer? The Black or SPU?

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2015, 05:00 pm »
Hard to say so far......

Differences are the Black sounds clear and detailed, but reveals EVERYTHING on the record....
good and bad.....

The SPU while detailed, also sounds very forgiving.....not so much colored, but does put
a pleasant take on anything going through it.......I would say I'd grab the SPU when
playing 50s, 60s acoustic jazz etc......and the Black for later recordings.....
They both bring out everything that's wonderful about vinyl.....

I like em both.....but to be fair, they're both not even close to broken in......so we shall see.....

Sonny

« Reply #27 on: 1 Feb 2015, 05:06 pm »
That's great!  I am glad each has its usages!  Where are you located? I am in CA and just lost my job.  So finding time to listen will be easy... Buying toys well, not going to happen any time soon.

I love my Blank too!  Less than10 hours in.  Will update when I get more hours logged on.

watercourse

« Reply #28 on: 1 Feb 2015, 05:10 pm »
Hey Sonny, your new job is to log in hours on that awesome setup. Don't slack off dude. ;-)

Sonny

« Reply #29 on: 1 Feb 2015, 05:49 pm »
Hey Sonny, your new job is to log in hours on that awesome setup. Don't slack off dude. ;-)

Will do.. Will you bring over lunch?

watercourse

« Reply #30 on: 1 Feb 2015, 06:06 pm »
I like your idea of a working lunch. Banh mi sound ok?

But seriously, you will be working again soon enough. So enjoy as much of this temporary phase as you can. I'm sure the family will also keep you busy, and the other upside is you get to spend more time with them too!

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #31 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:30 am »
Has anyone done a frequency response measurement of the Cadenza Black in their setup? I just measured mine and while it's pretty flat from 2kHz - 20kHz, as the frequency goes down from 2kHz it goes up pretty linearly following the log scale until it reaches about +5dB at 20Hz. Measured directly from the Simaudio 310LP outputs.

Which doesn't jive with the specs. My loading is 0pF and 100ohms. (The only lower option on the 310LP is 10ohms.)

I haven't been able to think of what might be the cause.

Sonny

« Reply #32 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:49 am »
Could this be what you are getting from the combination of the Black and 310 and not just the Black or the 310?

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #33 on: 4 Feb 2015, 04:34 am »
Could this be what you are getting from the combination of the Black and 310 and not just the Black or the 310?

Seems unlikely but I suppose it is possible. The 310LP is spec'ed pretty closely 20Hz-20kHz, as is the Cadenza Black. Since everything is flat above 2kHz the RIAA equalization must be correct (at least for that part). As far as I can figure the loading characteristics should only apply to higher frequencies.

I'll have to do some real investigation later I guess.

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #34 on: 25 Mar 2015, 11:18 am »
Hi Sonny, l have a Cadenza Black (CB),and feel exactly the same way you do regarding this cartridge, in fact after trying to purchase a Cadenza Bronze, because of its 'full and smooth sound quality', however Ortofon are not currently supplying them( well not the UK anyway), so my dealer offered me a good deal on the CB, I read up on it and was not too keen as it was according to some 'a little analytical' and 'made bad recordings bad',  :(but then others waxed lyrical about it :D.... so l brought the CB :thumb:

Initially was quite underwhelmed with it, as it was all top end, bottom end and quite frankly boring... ' It is running in' was my dealer's response, l wasn't so sure and thought l will  not like this cartridge..... so when new many cable changes, phono stage settings and anything else l could think of, with a small improvement.... but no 'wow' moments. :cry:

Roll on 50 hrs OMG, smooth, full, musical with fantastic tracking- l really like this cartridge!

l have had a couple of high end MC cartridges in my system to try and none of them really lit my fire.... but the Cadenza is a smooth, musical performer that is not analytical in any way shape or form. :thumb:

System;

Michell Gyrodec SE

HR PSU

Audio Origami Arm cable

SME V

Ortofon Cadenza Black

Jez Arkless Turbo/ Trichord Dino+ phono stages. :green:

Bobbywheat

« Reply #35 on: 24 Mar 2016, 09:08 pm »
I know that this is an old post, but I would like to tell my story relating to this cartridge. I would not be writing this if there was much information out there on this cartridge, but since there is so little here is my experience. 

I’ve had a Cadenza Black for about 2 years now and it has very few hours, why, because it just did not do it for me. This cartridge was to replace an Ortofon Jubilee, but after apprx. 100 hrs I ended up putting my old jubilee back on my turntable. The C. black was simply just to hi-fi for me. Well about a year ago I inherited a new phono stage, a Coda 06x FET.  An amazing sounding phono stage that mated very well with my Jubilee and since they made such great music together I saw no need to bother re-inserting my C. Black, that is until a week ago. Sensing that my jubilee was nearing its end it was time to put my unloved CB for sale.  So after posting the cartridge on the net, I decided to install the CB to make sure it was still playing properly before selling.

Now this is the first time I listened to this cartridge with my new phono stage and I was floored. This cartridge is bounds better than my Jubilee, in no way did it sound Hi-fi or analytical, like it did with my old phono stage. My Coda phono stage is very neutral, it could be described as a strait wire with gain and the Cadenza is also very neutral, both of them together make such beautiful music. Nothing gets in the way, it digs in and gives you what’s on the recording with pin point imaging all this with beautiful tone, nice airy highs, extremely detailed bass, transparent lite up midrange and all this with such ease to give you pure musicality. I really, really did not expect this, it’s been a week now and I am still floored.  Wow, I’m I happy no one offered what I was asking for before I removed the posting.  Close one.

Well this is my experience with the Cadenza Black, great cartridge.

My system is:
Well tempered Amadeus GTA (OCB)
Coda 06x Fet
Aaron No.1a
Spendor SP 1/2 R2

Sonny

« Reply #36 on: 24 Mar 2016, 09:47 pm »
Bobby,

That's great experience you went through.  Goes to show that we, in this hobby, too often make "first" impression judgments and sometimes end up regretting it!   :duh:

I know that I've wondered about letting something go, only to find myself wanting that back. 

I am curious as to the loading you chose for the CB.  I know what works best for my CB in my system, 50 ohms.  I have a plethora of cartridges as well, some just as expensive, some less expensive, and I can honestly say, to date, this is by far, my favorite cart! 

So, glad you are enjoying it!  I can't wait to get my "stuff" out of the moving pods and into my new "dedicated" MINE, listening or whatever the F**K I want to do with it room!   :thumb:

simoon

« Reply #37 on: 24 Mar 2016, 10:11 pm »
All,

I have had Shelter 7000, 901 and 501, Dynavector 20xl and XX1, Benz Ace SL, Ruby Z, Ref Silver 3, Denon 103r, AT AT33PTG, ZYX Airy 3 SB, and a few others, and out of the box

And of course, the most important take away from the OP, is that you have quite a few cartridges that are not being used and just taking up space, that you want to unload to some of us poorer audiophiles :green:

But seriously...

Sonny

« Reply #38 on: 25 Mar 2016, 02:49 am »

And of course, the most important take away from the OP, is that you have quite a few cartridges that are not being used and just taking up space, that you want to unload to some of us poorer audiophiles :green:

But seriously...
:thumb:

I get it...I now only have the Benz ACE SL and the Dynavector 20XL2 as back ups while the Cadenza Black and Benz ACE Mono are on the arm awaiting the set up of the system... :nono:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #39 on: 25 Mar 2016, 07:33 am »
Mark, sorry, sometimes I write these post with only limited time and don't have a chance to list the associated equipment, but here it is.  I should also add this to my profile so it's more available.

Cart:  Oftofon Cadenza Black
Table Components:  VPI JMW 12.5i arm, VPI HRX Super Platter
Plinth:  DIY - Aluminum and Lead shot filled
Phono Pre:  DIY Pass XONO
Setting:  50 ohms
Gain:  60db
Integrated:  Marantz PM11S3 - 100 wpc
Speakers:  DIY GeerS eVe II
Cables:  all DIY silver plated copper

The VTF on the cart is riding at 2.3 grams and at first I was thinking that the increase in VTF from the other carts I've used (normally 1.8 - 2.0 grams) would damage the record, but Geary, a circle member, said that more VTF means better tracking and less excess banging of the stylus on the record, thus reducing record wear.  Makes sense to me!

50 ohms? 

Clueless in Berkeley
neo