Cheap Tube Integrated Recommendation

acresm22

Re: Cheap Tube Integrated Recommendation
« Reply #40 on: 22 Jun 2011, 11:50 pm »
Monsterbill,

If you're still thinking of trying a 2A3 SET, you might want to give Tony at Handmade Audio a call. I had his Basic 2A3 several years ago and liked it a lot...a nice dose of 2A3 SET magic for not too much money.

http://www.hndme.com/storeampstogo.html

monsterbill

• **Click the URL (globe icon below) to see my audio set ups:*
    • My audio set ups:
« Reply #41 on: 25 Jun 2011, 11:30 pm »
I have no experience with this amp, but for the sake of completeness, this is to mention an amp that usually comes up when someone asks "which tube amp" for the Omega fostex (and maybe hemp?) speakers:  the Almarro A205A in either the original or "MKII" renditions. It's a SEP with one 12ax7 and 2 EL84s and goes for about ~$900 new or <$600 used. 

Louis and others have oft commented on the great synergy between Omegas and single-ended EL84 designs, and it used to be common for dealers to demonstrate the Almarros and the Omegas together.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2011, 02:24 am by monsterbill »

Louis O

« Reply #42 on: 1 Jul 2011, 10:12 pm »
Hi monsterbill,

I agree with the almarro. I have owned them myself.

Dyna ST35 is a great one too, but you need some sort of a pre amp with it.

Thanks,
Louis

yeldarb

« Reply #43 on: 14 Jul 2011, 07:42 pm »
Don't know if they are still available but my Norh SE9 has been a very nice little amp.  NOS el34 and 12ax7, some Herbie's and an upgraded power cord made it even better.  9 watts per times 2.

Louis O

« Reply #44 on: 17 Sep 2011, 12:06 am »
Belive it or not I have revisited a very inexpensive Class AB Solid state and it sounds really good, but has a funny name.

I had one of the first years ago and just got a new one. Funny name, but sounds good.
The Big Joe amp 1.3

8 watts and tiny goes for around $250

Thanks,
Louis