Update on speakers that are in the pipeline

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Update on speakers that are in the pipeline
« on: 16 Feb 2010, 08:15 am »
I have four new models developed and as soon as the production-quality enclosures are ready I'll start assembling them and posting pictures.  I had hoped to be at that point by now, but a couple of last-minute design changes set things back a bit.

At this point it looks like I'll be able to post pictures of three of the four models before the end of the month.  The fourth one may take a bit longer.  They include:

a) A high output stand-mount speaker that is intended to be used with subs;

b) A medium-sized floorstander that is especially small-room friendly, but adaptable to larger rooms as well;

c) A bipolar floorstander using "full range" (realistically more like "wide-band") drivers [March edit:  This one will not be going into production]; and

d) A more affordable variation on the Dream Maker theme.

In blind listening tests, the prototypes of the medium-sized floorstander were found to be quite competitive with the Jazz Modules, which I'm sort of excited about because I didn't want the new speakers to be a step down in quality.  I think they're more like a step sideways, but at a significantly lower price.  I'll have more to say about them when I post pictures.

Duke
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2010, 06:43 am by Duke »

Russell Dawkins

Re: Update on speakers that are in the pipeline
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2010, 08:30 am »

In blind listening tests, the prototypes of the medium-sized floorstander were found to be quite competitive with the Jazz Modules, which I'm sort of excited about because I didn't want the new speakers to be a step down in quality.  I think they're more like a step sideways, but at a significantly lower price. 

Duke

Well, that is an accomplishment, considering you can't get those TAD 1101s anymore, and they were such a fine driver.

Congratulations! You must be feeling good about this.

Russell

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2010, 06:30 pm »
Yes, listened to all by itself the TAD is clearly the better driver, but I've been able to bring the new woofer up to parity (I think) as far as this particular application goes.  The compression driver has to take up some of the slack and the crossover is more complex.  Now I've read many times on the internet that a complex crossover is bad because it degrades clarity/is difficult for the amplifier/kills dynamics.  Let's just say that I don't think those characterizations are universally applicable. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2010, 06:31 pm »
Duke

Will you have this speaker at RMAF '10?

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2010, 06:34 pm »
I will have one of the four at RMAF.... too early to decide which it will be.  I'll probably show one at Lone Star and another at RMAF. 

Duke

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2010, 06:42 pm »
I will have one of the four at RMAF.... too early to decide which it will be.  I'll probably show one at Lone Star and another at RMAF. 

Duke

Great!   :thumb: