My Dyna XX2 toast ,,

2bigears

My Dyna XX2 toast ,,
« on: 20 Jan 2017, 01:16 am »
 :D. Snapped the beam right off my XX2 MC lo output today .... pulled a Homer setting up the P9 in a new home.     Can anyone recommend a new cart to go with the Rega.  A hi output i think would be better.
      Budget is 750 0r a grand tops ....   can the xx2 be fixed or not worth it ????  :D  thanks for any help

sebrof

Re: My Dyna XX2 toast ,,
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2017, 01:23 am »
I have had an Ortofon Rondo Red for a couple of years and enjoyed it, but a few weeks ago I got an Audio Technica Art-9. Much better, $929 from LP gear. I highly recommend the Art-9.

Syrah

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2017, 01:28 am »
Ouch!!

Try Peter Lederman at Soundsmith.  It's amazing what he can fix.  And that's one hell of a good cart.

http://www.sound-smith.com/services/cartridge-rebuilding-retipping

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2017, 02:19 am »
 :D yes repair is a very good option.   But would take months and i need to spin those big blacks .....ha  :D ii   I will  look up LP Gear for sure .... :D.   That Art 9 was on a rega ??   That Art -9 looks real good . But does it mate with rega ..... the dyna carts go so well with them .   :D   Again , paradox of choice ,,,,ha  :D

Syrah

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2017, 02:52 am »
Yeah, having two carts is never a bad idea.  You can always sell that XX2 if you get a Soundsmith rebuild and you prefer your next cart better.

I know that Dyna are one of the frequently recommended on VPIs, as are Ortofon, as are NAS now. I'm not sure how your arm compares with a VPI in terms of effective mass.  Have you done the calculations of effective mass of your arm and what good compliance figures are to make with it?

This might be worth a go:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649327145-shelter-501-mk2-with-soundsmith-ruby-rebuild/

Great cartridge!