New Odyssey owner

KismetKing

New Odyssey owner
« on: 16 Dec 2016, 08:20 pm »
Hi. Interested in getting to know other Odyssey owners.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: New Odyssey owner
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2016, 09:49 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, KismetKing.  :beer:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2016, 10:27 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC KismetKing   :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2016, 10:30 pm »
Greetings welcome. Your find Odyssey has their own board. :)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=10

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2016, 12:40 am »
Welcome!

GentleBender

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2016, 01:34 pm »
So I'm going to guess, you picked up a pair of Kismets? I would ask if you are enjoying them, but I KNOW that you are.  :green:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2016, 02:12 pm »
Welcome KismetKing :thumb:
I would guess he own a Kartago.

KismetKing

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2016, 10:23 pm »
Hi everyone - thx for all the welcome notes. Sorry it took so long to respond. Still learning my way around. Just an FYI re Odyssey ..... Klaus warned me there would be a 500-550 hr break-in period. I'm about 100 hrs in. So far, they far exceed the sound I was getting from my old Krell equipment. I can only imagine what happens at 500 hrs!
Wishing everyone a HNY.
Happy to answer any questions ( as long as they are not technical ).

Stercom

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2016, 11:38 pm »
Klaus warned me there would be a 500-550 hr break-in period.

Ha,ha. Really? I bought my Kismet used and I'm guessing it had about 20-30 hours on it - it sounded a tad hard and analytical. I've got about 250 hours on it now and its sounds like a different amp: really authoritative yet musical. Based on your post, 500 hours is the next quest, very interesting.....Thanks!

KismetKing

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2016, 03:55 am »
Hi Stercom
I was recently at Capital Audiofest in Wash DC. All the big boys were there, but for the price, the Odyssey room blew everyone away. Plus, the owner Klaus is charismatic and deeply passionate about his company.
I've heard stories that people acquire Odyssey gear and don't have the patience for the break in.
I think you will be deeply rewarded by sticking it out. Other owners tell me it's up and down for 500 hours, and then it's WOW!
You are only 50% of the way there.
if you have the desire, you might want to contact Klaus and ask about upgrades and mods. There are some affordable things he can do, depending on which configuration the original owner chose. 
Let me know when you get there.

Stercom

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2016, 10:07 am »
Hi Stercom
I was recently at Capital Audiofest in Wash DC. All the big boys were there, but for the price, the Odyssey room blew everyone away. Plus, the owner Klaus is charismatic and deeply passionate about his company.
I've heard stories that people acquire Odyssey gear and don't have the patience for the break in.
I think you will be deeply rewarded by sticking it out. Other owners tell me it's up and down for 500 hours, and then it's WOW!
You are only 50% of the way there.
if you have the desire, you might want to contact Klaus and ask about upgrades and mods. There are some affordable things he can do, depending on which configuration the original owner chose. 
Let me know when you get there.

Yeah, I know about the value of Odyssey gear and I've talked to Klaus at shows and over the phone about various equipment, mods, etc. Biasing is probably the first thing you should check on your amp. I just didn't know he was recommending 500 hours of break-in. Best regards.

Stercom

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2017, 02:12 am »
I'm now at 400 hours and counting. 4 more days and Ill report back.  But so far so good..... 8)

KismetKing

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2017, 12:26 am »
400 good progress.
I'm at about the same stage.
Seems to be really opening up.
Let's compare in another 100.
One of my Odyssey buddies in CA suggested turning everything off and allowing the power to discharge a few times.
I think it sounds better. I do it every 100 hours during the breakin.
Best
Ron

Stercom

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2017, 02:30 am »
Ok, at about 530 hours. Must say the sound is very smooth and open. I personally think my whole system has benefitted from prolonged playing (break-in). Bottom line: Go ahead and make sure your Odyssey amp has at least 500 hours on it before making a long term judgment on its sound quality.  :thumb:

GentleBender

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2017, 01:22 pm »
I will have had my Odyssey Cyclops Extreme for two years a month from now. I love this little beast! Plenty of power with good detail without being clinical. I've only powered it off for thunderstorms and the occasional equipment upgrade/change. I've never wanted to just sit and listen to music like this in my life. The only thing I can think to upgrade to is the mono blocks eventually, but I am so happy with the Cyclops and Supiro phono stage combo.
 :banana piano: