Pure Audio Blu-Ray: new source for hi-rez 5.1?

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Pure Audio Blu-Ray: new source for hi-rez 5.1?
« on: 28 Mar 2014, 08:03 pm »
As quoted from Jason Serinus' interview regarding Universal's Pure Audio Blu-Ray:

Serinus: How many Blu-ray releases do you plan for 2014, and in what genres? Can we find the list online?

Robert-Murphy: As of today, Universal has 100 hi-res Blu-rays available. There are probably over 100 more others available from other companies [eg, Naxos].

Joshua Phillips: It's going to be a big year for Pure Audio Blu-ray. We're in the process of completing the international release of our first new front-line title, George Michael's Symphonica. This is a big deal for us, because he's a big international high-profile artist.

We also had our big classical conference here this week. I met with the folks from Decca and Deutsche Grammophon, and they're really excited about the format. There will definitely be some movement fairly soon on some major titles we began work on quite some time back. I'll give you this information as soon as it's confirmed. We're looking to roll out 20–30 new titles in the next couple of months.

Robert-Murphy:Most of them will be from Decca, and appear in 5.1.

Phillips:One of the challenges we faced quite early on is that people who purchase Blu-rays have a real demand for surround sound and 5.1. We initially focused solely on the quality issue, but we found out quite quickly that people buying Blu-rays want 5.1 mixes in addition to stereo mixes. It depends on your personal taste, whether you'd rather have trumpets coming from the back of your head or sit as you would at a normal concert and have stereo. But one of our definite intentions this year is to get 5.1 masters onto Blu-ray, so people can choose from either 5.1 or stereo.

Serinus: You won't be remixing stereo masters into 5.1, will you?

Robert-Murphy: If they want this, they will be killed and crucified in a public place. You can quote me.

Certainly good news for classical fans. The pop-rock 5.1 mixes they've issued so far  on BR have been recycled from previous DVD-A releases.  Hopefully new 5.1 mixes will be part of future pop-rock BR releases.

Full article here: http://www.stereophile.com/content/universal-music-groups-poprockjazz-pure-audio-blu-rays

Russ

Chinaski

Re: Pure Audio Blu-Ray: new source for hi-rez 5.1?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2014, 09:06 pm »
The 5.1 mix of Beck's Sea Change is tasty!  I'm waiting on reviews of Bob Marley's Legend 5.1 mix that just started shipping in July.