Please help identify which VMPS sub I have

kolepard

Please help identify which VMPS sub I have
« on: 31 Aug 2016, 06:36 pm »
I inherited a pair of VMPS subwoofers.  They are fairly old, and I'm not sure what model they are, and I hope someone can help me identify them and point me toward some information (documentation, specifications, etc.)  The only paperwork I have was printed on a dot matrix printer (as I said, old) and talks about the crossover and adjusting the putty, but not the model.

The speakers are

27.5" high
21.5" wide
17.25" deep

The speaker is 12" in diameter, and below it is a rectangular passive radiator.

Any help you can offer is appreciated.  If there is additional information I can provide to help identify them, please let me know.

Thank you.

Kevin

Stimpy

Re: Please help identify which VMPS sub I have
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2016, 12:29 am »
Considering the cabinet dimensions, and the use of a single 12" woofer, yours are probably the VMPS Original Sub.  It housed a 12" active woofer with a bottom firing 15" passive radiator.  There was also the Original Smaller Sub, that was a 12/12 active, passive design (27.5"x16.5"x16.5").  Finally, the VMPS Larger Sub.  It housed front facing 12 and 15 inch woofers, with the down firing 15" passive.

Here's a web picture, of a pair of Original subs.  Note the width of the passive port.  It's a bit wider than the front woofer, which matches the width of the bottom 15" passive.

Here's a Smaller.  Again, note the port width.  Here it's the same as the width of the woofer.

Finally, the larger.

And some info on the final round of VMPS subs.  Not yours, but still a good read.

http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/subwoofers.htm

Hope this helps.  And enjoy those subs.  That's an awesome pick-up!

kolepard

Re: Please help identify which VMPS sub I have
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2016, 02:44 pm »
Looking at your pictures it's definitely the original sub.  The drivers appear to be in good condition without any rotting foam and they still sound good, at least to me. :-)

Does anyone have any documentation on them?  Specifically how high a frequency they reasonably handle?  I am thinking about pairing them with some SVS Ultra bookself speakers that should go down to about 50 Hz.

If there are other paperwork people have somewhere, I'd love to get copies of them.

Thanks for helping me ID these speakers.

Kevin