Super Tower /R SE specs

RSorak

• Facilitator
Re: Super Tower /R SE specs
« Reply #40 on: 14 Apr 2016, 09:50 pm »
This sucks. I need to spend more money and buy another of these and replace the other working fine stock woofer. The bass out of the GW side is amazing, I like it....and it's not even got but a couple hours on it....And this is after upgrading the PR's last year.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2016, 10:57 pm by RSorak »

ZAKski288

« Reply #41 on: 14 Apr 2016, 10:12 pm »
 Hey RSorak Parts Express has a coupon, (use code TAX2016) good threw the weekend.  I think the Goldwoods are worth it thought. On my SuperTower /R the 15" driver is not recessed, so no cabinet adjustment. Good Luck Zak

Stimpy

« Reply #42 on: 15 Apr 2016, 12:05 am »
I got the Goldwood woofer, here's pic showing the diff in magnet size, GW is also much heavier. Goldwood is slightly bigger in outside diameter and will not fit in stock hole. I had to enlarge the hole slightly about 1/16 all around.

Sound wise, it rocks....just like the original. The bass extension may be greater w the GW. Very happy my crackle is gone.

Looking Misco's website today {original woofer manufacturer}, they certainly don't seem like a high end company at all....Don't know if it was this way 30 yrs ago....

That new Goldwood is nice.  It looks good too, with it's cast frame, as well.  It should mount it backwards, facing in, to show off the basket!    :o

As to Misco, they're not a high end company.  They're a speaker driver company, for all speaker types.  Brian used to 'I believe' supply his woven carbon fiber material, and Misco would manufacture the woofers.  So, Brian probably liked them, since they'd build custom orders.  And their prices are decent!   :)

davidc1

« Reply #43 on: 31 Aug 2020, 04:17 pm »

I got the Goldwood woofer, here's pic showing the diff in magnet size, GW is also much heavier. Goldwood is slightly bigger in outside diameter and will not fit in stock hole. I had to enlarge the hole slightly about 1/16 all around.

Sound wise, it rocks....just like the original. The bass extension may be greater w the GW. Very happy my crackle is gone.

Looking Misco's website today {original woofer manufacturer}, they certainly don't seem like a high end company at all....Don't know if it was this way 30 yrs ago....

Why on earth would that woofer on the L outperform the one on the R?  That makes absolutely no sense at all!  None! 

/sarc off

Doesn't that just seem wrong when one woofer requires 1/16" larger radius than the another? 

I have a set of Super Towers. Originally I put them together as a kit in 1980. Upgraded the 15, the 12, and the mids in 1989 or so when the surrounds disintegrated. Got everything from Brian.

The 15's I have are the white ones...but, they have the same number on the back as these, X3967 that I've seen on other posts..I had heard they were the same woofer, something about the white just being painted on?

Anyway, If I can get a good shape replacement pair of the X3967 15, but not white, should I do that? Or, should I replace with the same 15" Goldwood that this person did?

What do you two think? James Romeyn because you worked there and know your stuff, and RSorak because you actually did it.

These are my speakers (sorry about the crappy appearance...they've been through a lot). Also, wondering if the carbon fiber mids (the one's that have the checkerboard carbon fiber appearance) are worth an upgrade. I think I remember you James mentioning you did not like them compared with the one's I have already.